Favourite 3D games that look visually pleasing?

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Neild323
Atari freak
Atari freak

Favourite 3D games that look visually pleasing?

Post by Neild323 »

Looking for a little inspiration...

What ST games spring to mind, when it comes to 3D effects?

Some which are working well for this purpose include:

Stunt Car Racer
Hard Driving
Proton Storm
Elite
Kozmic

But I'm looking for something a bit more trippy, or with more velocity,
like the kind of visual that makes you feel like your nose diving from a great height!

I've spent nearly 3 years (on & off) developing visuals for a music video which I'm finally
on the way to completing and I'm trying to find the perfect high energy moment for a certain part,
featuring something that kinda turns your stomach with high velocity to add in the video.

The music is partly a remix of operation stealth, featuring loads of classic samples from old games
like Barbarian, Arkanoid, making whoopee etc, with my own sprites which I've animated into some of my favourite games,
giving the effect that my character 'Nastynaut' is messing about inside the Atari ST and toying with the gamer
throughout the video.

Anything that might come to mind I'd appreciate! I've been going through all the automation disks but I'd be keen
to know if theres any home brew or strange games that could work for this video, or anything I might
not be aware of that looks visually effective.

cheers!
DoG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Favourite 3D games that look visually pleasing?

Post by DoG »

No Second Prize
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

Mercenary comes into my mind :)
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

What about Powerdrome?
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

Thunderhawk
Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/
Neild323
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Neild323 »

mikro wrote:Mercenary comes into my mind :)
Yes! That's one I gave a test run for! It's on my list,
I love the velocity, especially in the initial 'crash' scene, the kind of
thing Im looking for. The version I've played is Mercenary: The Second City.
Neild323
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Neild323 »

mrbombermillzy wrote:What about Powerdrome?
spot on! I have a vague memory of playing that, it must have stopped working after I first played it.
trying it on steem now, an excellent suggestion! Thanks
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by alexh »

No Second Prize, Trex Warrior, Castle Master, Mercenary, Damocles, countless more
Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Atari74user »

I remember Mercenary fondly, but for me the best was Virus ported from the Acorn Archimedes on which it was called Zarch. For the time it was visually stunning, and actually for me still is, albeit difficult, but still i remember just loving zooming around the landscape, full of beautiful little details. I remember playing it at school on the Archimedes (A3000 I think) having arguments whether the ST or Archimedes was the best computer with our Science teacher, but of course, before obtaining a copy from a friend for the ST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8XVEukaME
Last edited by Atari74user on Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders
thomas3
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by thomas3 »

Used to love Resolution 101 as a 10 year old
Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Atari030 »

Elite II, Fighter bomber. Thunderhawk is freaking awesome.
siriushardware
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by siriushardware »

Depends what you mean by 'pleasing' - some '3D' games, in no particular order, which looked really nice although not especially realistic:-

-Interphase
-Starglider
-Backlash
-Virus
-The Sentinel
-Armour-Geddon
-Archipelago

'Backlash' was a filled-in version of the classic arcade vector graphics tank game 'Battlezone' and it kept the frame rate high by making all the missiles and enemy objects spherical, so they looked the same no matter what angle they were viewed from.

'Virus' was a respectable port of an original Acorn Archimedes game 'Zarch', although the original Acorn version was prettier and smoother.
CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Post by CiH »

'Visually pleasing' could include games like Epic, Robocop 3 and Hunter.
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"
Hazzardus
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by Hazzardus »

Magic Fly
Infestation
Simulcra
Carrier Command
Battle Command
Zero 5 (STE and above only)

For demos:
STNICC 2000
Synergy
Own: Wood grain 2600, Atari 800, 520STFM (1MB), 1040STE (4MB), TT, Falcon 030, Atari Lynx (Both the first one with the crap paint and the v2), Jaguar and too many x680x0 Macs to list, oh and also an Amiga 1200 (Boo!)
My first Mac was Spectre GCR on a 1040STFM with an SM124 and 30MB third party HDD :D
Neild323
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Neild323 »

[quote="Atari74user" the best was Virus ported from the Acorn Archimedes on which it was called Zarch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8XVEukaME[/quote]

I never knew the history of this game, cool to hear about Zarch too! As it happens, Virus is the first game based visual that appears in the video, its the best I could find upto now for the space theme I have going :-)
I think I we're 4 when I first played it, as it was one of the first games I had and yes, I we're fascinated with it as a kid, it used to make my imagination run wild, I'd get lost for hours just flying about for the fun of it.
Excellent suggestion! I can't wait to show people what I've done with Virus haha
Neild323
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Neild323 »

Hazzardus wrote:Magic Fly
Infestation
Simulcra
Carrier Command
Battle Command
Zero 5 (STE and above only)

For demos:
STNICC 2000
Synergy
Thanks for these, I'll check them through today. Infestation is on my list, Battle Command was almost a hit, I used to love that as a kid, but I needed something a bit faster... Sayin that, I we're thinking of battlezone, just realised that now.

I we're tempted to include some demos, but I'm unsure if it'd be appreciated or not. Do you think if I included visuals from a demo in a music video (non commercial), the creators would be happy? I wouldn't want to annoy people in the demoscene, but I'd love to put some demo footage in there.
Last edited by Neild323 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neild323
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Neild323 »

siriushardware wrote:Depends what you mean by 'pleasing' - some '3D' games, in no particular order, which looked really nice although not especially realistic:-

-Interphase
-Starglider
-Backlash
-Virus
-The Sentinel
-Armour-Geddon
-Archipelago

'Backlash' was a filled-in version of the classic arcade vector graphics tank game 'Battlezone' and it kept the frame rate high by making all the missiles and enemy objects spherical, so they looked the same no matter what angle they were viewed from.

'Virus' was a respectable port of an original Acorn Archimedes game 'Zarch', although the original Acorn version was prettier and smoother.
Great suggestions thanks! I've got interphase on the list, I'll have to check the others out today. I've included Virus already, it's the first game that appears in the video! Glad to hear many others also appreciate the art of that game. I've also used parts of backlash in a video before, I used to play that for hours, such a cool game & come to think of it, I'll have to use it towards the end of the video when it goes faster.
As for what I mean by visually pleasing, you've hit the nail on the head. I'm looking for games that aren't realistic, infact, the earlier the better as I'm very fond of the early stages in 3D games that have this raw, basic look that can end up looking rather odd at certain points.

I've got many to go with now (I've been churning through games non stop this last few weeks!) but specifically, theres a part in my track where I'd like to have a 3D game going crazy, something like a moment where you'd be falling from a great height and actually feel the velocity when watching it. I remember wipeout for playstation having that effect, but my passion has always stayed with the Atari ST and the fact the graphics are lower resolution makes it more enjoyable for me
Neild323
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Neild323 »

DoG wrote:No Second Prize
That's an excellent one!
Neild323
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Neild323 »

Hazzardus wrote: Simulcra
Wow, I remember playing this ! I'd completely forgotten about it, must have been one that stopped working. Great for this and its got that same kinda feel Virus has, although I've just started getting used to it, gonna try and see if I can get some crazy motions goin on with it
swapd0

Post by swapd0 »

Cybercon 3
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by christos »

The killing cloud, with the nice fog effect.
Alpha waves should provide the effect you want.
Interphase
Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Atari74user »

I never knew the history of this game, cool to hear about Zarch too! As it happens, Virus is the first game based visual that appears in the video, its the best I could find upto now for the space theme I have going :-)
I think I we're 4 when I first played it, as it was one of the first games I had and yes, I we're fascinated with it as a kid, it used to make my imagination run wild, I'd get lost for hours just flying about for the fun of it.
Excellent suggestion! I can't wait to show people what I've done with Virus haha
Yeah, I do remember it being a demo too, I remember it on screens constantly in my local computer shop, I think for the Archimedes. I remember the fuss at the time because it wasn't just a 3D game, it was a groundbreaking 3D game, shadows, lighting, pretty smooth rendering and little details. Whereas other 3D games prior were nice, but pretty much just polygons on a screen albeit exploiting landscapes to explore (OK that's a little unfair as Elite and Mercenary were BIG revolutionary games for the time). Zarch / Virus really did move things on, and now that i have Googled, was a demo for the Archimedes called Lander to present its processing power.

This little article here is exactly how I remember the story as a kid, complete with teacher allowing us to play it on the Archimedes at school: http://www.flatbatteries.com/zarch.html
Last edited by Atari74user on Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders
Playmobil
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Playmobil »

I loved back in time some 3D games on my STE :

- ADS Advanced Destroyer Simulator
- Midwinter
- Fourmula one grand prix from microprose I think...
- Sherman M4
- F16 Simulator 2 (IIRC)
- ??? (can't remember the name of this one today... need to make my brain working... It's a motorcycle game, but it's not No second prize..))
Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Atari74user »

Playmobil wrote:I loved back in time some 3D games on my STE :
- ??? (can't remember the name of this one today... need to make my brain working... It's a motorcycle game, but it's not No second prize..))
Team Suzuki maybe, or The Ultimate Ride?
Playmobil
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Playmobil »

Yes !!! Ultimate Ride !!! Thanks ! We can drive an Harley davdson, or a Kawasaki Ninja ! :)

Return to “Games - General”