Robocop (Pete Johnson) Graphical upgrade attempt...

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Hazzardus
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Robocop (Pete Johnson) Graphical upgrade attempt...

Post by Hazzardus »

I've been messing with this for a while, and if anyone didn't know, the sprites in this game were mostly PI1 or PC1 files, so just to mess about I converted the arcade sprites to the ST, and so far it looks good. However, it's only really the main character sprite and a few enemies that I can do this way... All the tiles are stored somewhere that is a bit over my head... Managed to do the full Robo sprite, and the van and the bike, but everything else still looks crap, because I wouldn't know how to edit the other graphics. I did the title screen and changed the sample out to the one from the film, but after this, I'm a bit stumped... How would I go about getting the level graphics out and editing them? I don't have an Ultimate Ripper anymore, and that was what I would have used to get the tiles, but then still wouldn't know how to put them back in. What I've got so far works with the PRG from the Automation Version, and the DS Hitsqad version, and looks good, but only for Robo and a few baddies.
Own: Wood grain 2600, Atari 800, 520STFM (1MB), 1040STE (4MB), TT, Falcon 030, Atari Lynx (Both the first one with the crap paint and the v2), Jaguar and too many x680x0 Macs to list, oh and also an Amiga 1200 (Boo!)
My first Mac was Spectre GCR on a 1040STFM with an SM124 and 30MB third party HDD :D

swapd0

Re: Robocop (Pete Johnson) Graphical upgrade attempt...

Post by swapd0 »

Usually the tiles are store in a raw format, with a graphics ripper you should see something like a big vertical strip with 16 pixels width.

Hazzardus

Post by Hazzardus »

I have the some of the tiles, but it is way over my head to put them back. Don't have an ultimate ripper anymore, but even if I did, the rest of it is beyond me... All I'm aiming for is to put something closer to the Data East arcade game back into it.

edit: my workflow so far has been import the sprites into photoshop, (Both arcade and ST) then work on them and export them as 15 colour gif, and then open them in Canvas to put the palette back, then save them that way, all with Hatari with a shared folder.

It's nice that OS X or MacOS recognises them though...
Own: Wood grain 2600, Atari 800, 520STFM (1MB), 1040STE (4MB), TT, Falcon 030, Atari Lynx (Both the first one with the crap paint and the v2), Jaguar and too many x680x0 Macs to list, oh and also an Amiga 1200 (Boo!)
My first Mac was Spectre GCR on a 1040STFM with an SM124 and 30MB third party HDD :D

Hazzardus

Post by Hazzardus »

Apologies for a double post... Managed to get the tiles out for every level with WINE and STeemSSE with Ultimate Ripper cart image, (Hatari decided to have a poo fit on MacOS with Ultimate Ripper and the original 2 disk version...) Now got the tile graphics, and the missing sprites, but my big issue is how do I put them back in? I've replaced all the other sprites with my take on the arcade versions, (mainly the Robocop sprites and animations) and some of the baddies too, but even though I've redone all the tiles, and everything else, I have no idea how to put the tiles back in. Some are 16x16, some are 8x8 too...

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by EvilFranky »

Any screen shots? :mrgreen:

Grazey / PHF
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Grazey / PHF »

If no one takes up the challenge I’ll look on my return from holiday next week. Basically you just do the opposite to ultimate ripper and convert the bitplane data to sprite format.
http://phf.atari.org - demo coders since 1983
http://sndh.atari.org - Maintainer of the Atari ST chip music archive
http://www.scenemusic.net - Nectarine Administrator

swapd0

Post by swapd0 »

Maybe with a small GFA basic program to take a pi1 and convert it to a single column?

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by MiggyMog »

Next, hack in the superior 8 bit music
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

Grazey / PHF
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Grazey / PHF »

It’d be easy to sidify the Peter Johnson music using hipsid routines. Tho depends how much processor time he had left. Although rte-ing TC should save a bit.
http://phf.atari.org - demo coders since 1983
http://sndh.atari.org - Maintainer of the Atari ST chip music archive
http://www.scenemusic.net - Nectarine Administrator

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by MiggyMog »

I guess if there was a lack of spare cycles you would need to 'drop it!' ;-)
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

Grazey / PHF wrote:It’d be easy to sidify the Peter Johnson music using hipsid routines. Tho depends how much processor time he had left. Although rte-ing TC should save a bit.
the 16 bits versions music for Robocop are awfull. The most atmospheric is the one on the Amstrad CPC.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by NGF »

Cool project, would also like som screenshots of the progress you made so far :)
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by MiggyMog »

I remember noticing the sprites were just degas pics and editing them so his 'gun' would swing left and right as he walked. I did not match up the masks so parts became transparent etc and I was just mucking about for a laugh..

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by StickHead »

MiggyMog wrote:Next, hack in the superior 8 bit music
Oh god, yes! Please do this! Preferably the Game Boy version!
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by calimero »

Maybe you could use that great color pallete posted by Anima while working on Ghost and Goblins conversion for ST...!?
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Buttock
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Buttock »

This is a welcome development!

Return to “Games - General”