720 Degrees

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

720 Degrees

Post by jd »

Does anyone know if this Atari classic was ever released for the Atari ST as I can't find it anywhere on the game archives.

I'm sure it was (loved it in the arcade) but can't trust my memory whether it was actually available (for ST) as I'm sure i would have bought it at the time if it was......

chlu600
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: 720 Degrees

Post by chlu600 »

No Atari ST release.

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by jd »

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mlynn1974 »

I looked it up and they didn't even release it for the Atari Lynx. Epyx never released Skate Or Die for the ST\Amiga.
It would be nice if someone converted it to the ST. The Spectrum version was good.

The arcade machine used Atari System 2 which Super Sprint and Paperboy used.
It had a T11 processor @ 10MHz (Tiny PDP-11), YM2151, 2xPokey and TMS5220 @ 625 kHz.
The screen resolution was 512x384.

It's a bit surprising Atari were still using the T11 at that time. In 1985 you'd think they'd say we're building a home computer with a 68k in it, let's use the 68k in our arcade machines so we can port the games more easily to the ST.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

swapd0
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by swapd0 »

Atari games != Atari corp

TWINKYTWONKA
Atariator
Atariator

Post by TWINKYTWONKA »

I think without the rotary joystick the game just wasn't good. Trying playing it on mame to see the difference the proper control system makes to that game.

I think 720 is my all time favourite arcade game and i'm still traumatized by the time when i went to my local arcade during school lunch time to see the machine had gone :(.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lostdragon »

Chris Butler did a decent enough job on the Pal C64 version.

Crying shame the Lynx version was canned.

As for Skate Or Die?

Even in early days of the ST , E.A content to take a cautious, wait and see how the machine sells attitude towards it, so unlikely to commit the resources converting titles to it in huge numbers.

zaphod79
Atarian
Atarian

Post by zaphod79 »

TWINKYTWONKA wrote:I think without the rotary joystick the game just wasn't good. Trying playing it on mame to see the difference the proper control system makes to that game.

I think 720 is my all time favourite arcade game and i'm still traumatized by the time when i went to my local arcade during school lunch time to see the machine had gone :(.
Some of the ports to later systems were not too bad - the PSP had a version on there and the small nub of the controller i think worked well although nothing can replicate the real machine.

And as for trauma for the machine my local arcade removed it , and it arrived back a few weeks later converted into a Turtles machines :-(

TWINKYTWONKA
Atariator
Atariator

Post by TWINKYTWONKA »

zaphod79 wrote:
TWINKYTWONKA wrote:I think without the rotary joystick the game just wasn't good. Trying playing it on mame to see the difference the proper control system makes to that game.

Some of the ports to later systems were not too bad - the PSP had a version on there and the small nub of the controller i think worked well although nothing can replicate the real machine.

And as for trauma for the machine my local arcade removed it , and it arrived back a few weeks later converted into a Turtles machines :-(

OMG that is awful. Its funny how these events stick with people. I remember back in the summer of 1984 ( i think) on a Saturday afternnon my arcade got a brand new hypersports machine and everyone was amazed by the awesome music and the new events. Went to the the arcade first thing sunday with 10p's in hand and the thing had gone. Apparently, the arcade decided to send it to one of their other sites 100's of miles away.

If you dont have half the flesh removed from your middle finger then you aren't have the ultimate 720 experience :)

Return to “Games - General”