Any 'console quality' Sega and Capcom conversions ?

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

sut
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Any 'console quality' Sega and Capcom conversions ?

Post by sut »

I'm looking for 'console quality' arcade conversions for the ST and particularly interested in Sega and Capcom conversions that play well.

I'll try and explain what I mean by 'console quality'.
Take Final Fight or Street Fighter 2 for the ST where the graphics look amazing in stills but all goes to crap when they move with poor animation, low frame rate and lack of game balance.

Some examples of what I consider 'console quality' conversions Toki, Pang, Rainbow Islands. These games still look good but they don't have the gameplay issues that plague Shadow Dancer, Final Fight, etc. You can play them like console games eg learn the patterns and they are beatable with practice, but never have unfair deaths due to bad hit detection or frame rate making jumping a pain or Final Fight with cheap aimless AI.

The only good Sega conversion I've found thus far is Golden Axe. This was by Virgin and not US Gold which may explain why the conversion is better than say the similar Alien Storm.

So did US Gold butcher all Sega and Capcom conversions or is there another Golden Axe out there ?
lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Any 'console quality' Sega and Capcom conversions ?

Post by lostdragon »

Going purely off memory:

ST conversions of:Strider, Bubble Bobble, Forgotten Worlds, Ninja Spirt, Ghouls N Ghosts, Black Tiger were well worth checking out, not sure if quite MegaDrive/PC Engine quality though....i'm assuming here your looking for coin-op conversions from that era, not just Sega/Capcom?

Also if your after clones of coin-ops, Core Design offer up a decent Mercs clone in form of Warzone, they also did a great Rastan clone, Torvak (?)The Warrior.

Gods is inspired by lot of coin-ops from that era.

Think the conversions likes of Graftgold, ARC Developments, Probe etc did are a safer bet, Tiertex's stuff is very hit n miss...UN Squadron, Dynasty Warriors etc.

R-Type was dissapointing as well on ST.I think it's a case of seperating the wheatr from the chaff regarding conversions to the ST.
lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lostdragon »

I personally never felt the Amiga, let alone the ST was suited to Street Fighter 2, it's not designed for a single button joystick, let alone looking at the hardware differences.

With Final Fight, only the Mega CD version really did it justice, SNES efforts were brave but no dice for myself.Streets Of Rage 2 filled the gap mind.

Also to be fair/balanced, Mega Drive Strider, fantastic as it was, lacked opening speech etc...

So even with advent of SNES/MD we saw some comprimises made to coin-op conversions.

Stay away from Tiertex's Strider 2 mind, it's awful.
sut

Post by sut »

lostdragon wrote:So even with advent of SNES/MD we saw some comprimises made to coin-op conversions.
I'm actually all for compromises if it means it improves the game experience. Take Shinobi on the Master System for example, sprites and background detail are heavily reduced but Sega did a great job in making it play well and run smooth on the system.

Toki on the ST also reduces the screen size to keep the frame rate acceptable and again smooth. So in my opinion compromise is fine if it's to help the game experience.

If US Gold reduced the Sprite size and the number on screen at any one time in Shadow Dancer. It could have been a brilliant playable conversion instead it's a jerky, frustrating mess.

Great call on Craftgold they were a talented bunch and yes - Warzone ! I remember playing a demo back in the day and really enjoying it but completely forgot about it. Never played Torvak will have to check it out.

Yeah I'm looking for good console style games I can kick back in a chair and play, so no keyboard / mouse heavy games like Populous or Sim City.

I'm a big fan of Sega and Capcom's output at this time and wanted to explore the ST versions. Unfortunately US Gold seemed to have won the rights on the bulk of these so they all suffer the same 'great screenshots, shame about the game syndrome'.

Hey everyone loves lists right ? Let's make a list !

Good ST 'console style' games.

Toki
Golden Axe
Pang
Rainbow Islands
Warzone
Torvak
Bubble Bobble
Strider
Black Tiger
Forgotten Worlds
Ninja Spirit
Ghouls n' Ghosts
Gods
Xenon
Xenon 2
Speedball 2
Chaos Engine
FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Post by FedePede04 »

i know that it is not a arcade conversion, but what about IK, and IK+
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by christos »

For me console quality means 50fps... so no! On the other hand there are some games on the ST that wouldn't feel out of place on a console.
penguin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by penguin »

Oddly enough, I quite liked the ST version of Space Harrier although that was before I got a Mega Drive.

Other good arcade conversions are New Zealand Story, S.D.I. and Parasol Stars. Monster Business, though not an arcade conversion, is arcade style.
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: http://www.atariuptodate.de
st-computer magazine - https://st-computer.atariuptodate.de/
lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lostdragon »

Also what about:

Buggy Boy, Super Hang-On, Gauntlet 1+2, Road Runner, Blasteriods, Switchblade 2 (Strider-inspired), Escape From Planet Of The Robot Monsters, Fire Force (as ST never had Green Beret), Xybots, Crackdown, APB, Super Monaco GP, Hard Drivin, Silkworm, Super Wonder Boy, Ninja Warriors, Dragon Breed, St Dragon, Mr Heli, Prophecy 1:The Viking Child (Wonderboy inspired), Midnight Resistance,Dragon Spirt, Toobin,SWIV, NARC.....

Been years since i played them, though they do seem to be stored in my head as those i enjoyed at the time.
insanity
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by insanity »

Mega Twins
Rodland
Shadow Warriors
(Not sure if these were all Capcom/Sega though)
sut

Post by sut »

Great how these threads bring back memories some awesome games listed. Shows the ST could do good arcade/console style games. It's just a pity we got some poor Sega and Capcom conversions for the most part.
But it seems there is some wheat amongst the chaff.
jayminer
Atariator
Atariator

Post by jayminer »

penguin wrote:Other good arcade conversions are New Zealand Story, S.D.I. and Parasol Stars. Monster Business, though not an arcade conversion, is arcade style.
This might be nitpicking, but Parasol Stars wasn't an arcade game! It was developed for the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx16. It definitely feels like an arcade-game though!
grobda
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by grobda »

Arkanoid and Joust are two I remember being very good conversions and got a lot of play.
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

For SEGA arcade conversion on ST, i enjoyed :
- Dynamite Dux
- Super Hang On
- Wonder Boy in Monster Land

For Capcom arcade conversion on ST, i enjoyed :
- Ghouls'n Ghost
- Mega Twins
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dlfrsilver »

Crack down port on computers best version is on ST. It retains most of the arcade intro and it s the only one having the outro. No other computer had it.
Prophecy is a simple but very addictive game, i ve spent countless hours on it. Just a great game !.
Super wonderboy in monsterland is also very
good ood o
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !
Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Marakatti »

jayminer wrote:
penguin wrote:Other good arcade conversions are New Zealand Story, S.D.I. and Parasol Stars. Monster Business, though not an arcade conversion, is arcade style.
This might be nitpicking, but Parasol Stars wasn't an arcade game! It was developed for the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx16. It definitely feels like an arcade-game though!
VAPS lists two people who have the arcadeboard so maybe it was a prototype?

http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/ga ... ov_id=8984
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------
Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Atari030 »

Magic Boy and Zool spring to mind for me, anything by Renegade/Bitmap brothers too. Console quality IMHO. That has got me wanting to play platformers now.
lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lostdragon »

Anyone wondering why the Tiertex conversions turned out the way they did on the ST/Amiga could do far worse than check out Chris Wilkins rather excellent book, The History Of US Gold.

Some very good stories from various Tiertex coders in there :-)
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by christos »

After some gameplay the last week, I find that Sonic Boom is a pretty good conversion, though it does seem quite cut down compared to the arcade. It does play well though, especially at 16MHz.
Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Total Eclipse »

Atari030 wrote:...anything by Renegade/Bitmap brothers too. Console quality IMHO.
I'm a huge fan of the Bitmap Brothers work, but the quality (technical, rather than presentation) was hit and miss. Both Xenon games, and both Speedball games were smooth and very "console-like", however games such as The Chaos Engine, Gods and Magic Pockets all had sub-standard scrolling, and look extremely juddery even on the Amiga. I played the MegaDrive version of Gods a while back and am pretty sure that the scrolling was significantly better.
Atari equipment all in storage - Now playing with MiST :)
lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by lostdragon »

Yep, MD or Genesis, Gods features faster, smoother scrolling, 64 colours etc but weaker title music.

But it's THE version i still play to this day, despite the ST being the version i had back in the day and loved (was an Xmas present from many years past and still holds a special memory thinking back to that time).

Mind you scrolling on MD Chaos Engine was pretty rubbish, espically given the hardware it was running on.

Magic pockets was'nt much fun to play on any format i found :-(.

Return to “Games - General”