Wow!

Thanks to all involved. Great game.

Has it been tested on the Mega STe?
Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Pacmania STE

Post by Zamuel_a »

Don't know if it helps but the disappearing ghosts thing I've seen twice (haven't had it on your brand new version though) but both times it happened when I was in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen
I haven't found any cause for this yet (haven't looked into it) so it should still be in the last version. I guess it's some register or something that doesn't get cleared then it should so I have check this and see if I can find anything.
Has it been tested on the Mega STe?
Yes I have used an Mega STE for all real machine tests since it's twice as fast to assemble it on that machine :wink: The game will autodetect an Mega STE and switch to 8MHz during the game play. If you exit the game (press ESC from the main menu) it will switch back to whatever frequency you had before.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe
junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by junosix »

Just out of interest, I went back and played the original ST version from the 80s and while it's not awful, your version is SO much better!

EDIT - Got the VBL glitch on the highscore screen on the STE version too.
junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by junosix »

o_O Jungly Steps looks AMAZING.
Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Zamuel_a »

I have uploaded a new version again. Added the applause sample after a level is completed and also found a bug in the continue screen. I fixed one thing that maybe could cause the ghosts to dissapear on level 2, but just maybe since I don't know how to force the situation yet.
I haven't had the chance to try this on a real STE so I don't know if there are any new "features" added, but hopefully not. :wink:
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe
qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Post by qq1975b »

I have been playing it on an 1040STe and works fine. :)
Trying to learn...
Official Ninja
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Official Ninja »

I've been playing on my STe for awhile. No problems. Sometimes the screen blacks out for a split second but this is not the 1st ST game I've seen do that.
When your game is over the Intro screen is shown again, then the high scores, followed by level select. Then the "To Replay this level..." count down is shown again. Is that normal?

One thing that could really improve this game would be an option to start on the levels the 2nd time around. Where the game play is faster. I have to admit the 1st few levels crawl very slow. Almost painful really. After clearing all the levels and coming back around to the 1st the gameplay speed is much better... more fun anyway. So, it would be nice to have the option to start at that speed. Of course this goes for the original also, not just this STe version. :)
Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Zamuel_a »

Then the "To Replay this level..." count down is shown again. Is that normal?
No it shouldn't do that. I fixed it now on the new update :wink: Even that it might be usefull if you miss to press a key the first time.
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

I tried the latest version. After jumping over a power pill, coming down and turning left on the bottom right corner of the maze, all ghosts suddenly turned invisible (and I died soon after). After the death, ghosts were again visible.

EDIT: bottom RIGHT corner, not left.
Last edited by Eero Tamminen on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Zamuel_a »

Was this also on level 2 and was it on a real machine or an emulator?
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Zamuel_a wrote:Was this also on level 2 and was it on a real machine or an emulator?
Also on level 2, on which I had gotten after playing through level 1.

It was on Hatari (compiled from latest sources in Mercurial) using its GEMDOS HD emulation.
qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Post by qq1975b »

I tried to do it on a real STe but it didn't happen. I don't know if I'm doing the same movements as you do or maybe it is something that happens only on Hatari. :roll:
Trying to learn...
Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Zamuel_a »

What version of Hatari are you using? I have got that problem one time on a real STE, but since then I haven't seen it so it's not so easy to figure out what is going on. If I remember correctly the ghosts are only invisible at the bottom part of the level but visible then you get higher up? The original code is abit messy and they have a wrap around in both X and Y (that's why you can move indefinitely to the left or right on level 2 and 4), so when you are at the bottom part of the screen you are actually moved back up to the top part. I couldn't change this since the collision detection code would have been messed up so I had to figure out a fix and it works, but something must cause a glitch sometimes.
Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Steven Seagal »

So I tried this in last version of Steem SSE (3.5.0, maybe it's different with 3.4.1).
It doesn't crash after some minutes, I could complete some levels. You must select STE and TOS 1.06.

About the game, that's really nice work, using overscan for a large display (maybe a first with side scrolling), fine sound, smooth scrolling,and most important, the project was completed!
Others have commented on the speed. I would add that it seems to scroll slower horizontally than vertically, you also hear it munching slower.
In the CIA we learned that ST ruled
Steem SSE: http://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Zamuel_a wrote:What version of Hatari are you using?
Latest from Mercurial version control. (There are nowadays also 3rd party daily binary builds of it for Windows, if you're using Windows)
Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Zamuel_a »

Others have commented on the speed. I would add that it seems to scroll slower horizontally than vertically, you also hear it munching slower.
I haven't changed the speed from the original game, other than that it's adjusted for 50fps and not 25fps as on the ST version. To verify the timing I actually played the Amiga version and timed how long it took for pacman to move in all directions on different levels to get the timing right.
All collision detection are done in 2D space and not in 3D. Since Pacmania is a "3D" game, it would have been better to do collision detection and speed handling in 3D, but that wouldn't be realistic. Since the distance between the pills are shorter in Y compared to X, he eats them faster.
Pacmans speed is abit tricky and I had to use fixed point math to get it right. At Jungly steps he moves in sync with the VBL, so X speed is 1 pixel / VBL and in Y it's 1 in X and 2 in Y.
At the first 3 levels he moves at 0.5 VBL so he moves 0.5 pixels in X / VBL and at Sandland he moves at 0.75 VBL. The fastest speed on the later levels are 1.5 VBL

If you move pacman around in a circle it looks like he moves at the same speed in X and Y, but you also have a false perspective because of the 3D view that it doesn't care about. I have tried to adjust the X and Y speeds to be different but then he moves very jerky. The worst case is Y direction on sandland since he moves ate 0.75 VBL. You can see the same problem on the Amiga version.
leglod
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by leglod »

Great job, congratulation :)
Grilichili bruit de crayon sur papier.
Les dinosaures de la micro :) ... Mini-Z ...
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

The different speeds in X and Y are also visible on other Pacmania conversions, the 8 bits C64, Amstrad CPC and ZX Spectrum come to mind.
However the original ST version did not have it in a big noticable way....
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dal »

Wow - I've only just got around to giving this a try. It really is a good job you've done here. Thank you very much for putting the time n and tuning something out quite fast.

Just a minor feature request if I may. A quit to desktop keyboard shortcut would be very useful!
STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's
Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Zamuel_a »

The different speeds in X and Y are also visible on other Pacmania conversions, the 8 bits C64, Amstrad CPC and ZX Spectrum come to mind.
However the original ST version did not have it in a big noticable way....
The speed should be more or less the same in the original version as on mine. One thing that is different is that on ST they runned at 25fps so they didn't had to use fixed point math to handle it. For example on the first level pacman moves at 1 pixel / frame in X and for Y he moves 2 pixels vertically and 1 in X. This is the speed I have today for jungly steps since my game is twice as fast as the ST version, so for the first level I must move at 0.5 pixels / frame. To change the speed to anything else than what it is now gives a very jerky movement. I have tried it and it doesn't look good at all. The speed would change depending on frame so that in some frames he moves faster and in some slower. Take a look at sandland in the ST version. He moves very jerky here and that's just because he moves faster.

Just a minor feature request if I may. A quit to desktop keyboard shortcut would be very useful!
Well, this feature has always been in there. Just press ESC from the main menu and inside the game, press SHIFT + Q to quit to the main menu (this was already in the ST version)
Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dal »

D'oh! There's me hitting CTRL+Q. Sorry! :oops:
STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's
Official Ninja
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Official Ninja »

I was just playing the newest version and while on the third level at the bottom right of the maze, I was on the bottom of the maze. A ghost entered the right-bottom most spot from above and turned invisible. It then must have caught me because I died, even though I could not see the ghost.
Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Zamuel_a »

I will try and look into this alittle more in the future, but so far I have never been able to reproduce it myself so don't know why it's happening.

If anyone are interested there is an unlimited life cheat that can be activated. When loading the game and just before it starts (the green desktop background dissapears) press the C key and you will get a screen that tells that the cheats are enabled. If you don't see it before the title screen, then it didn't work. You have to press the C key within one second after the game starts :wink:
Goddy
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Goddy »

:cheers: Excellent work I loaded this up on my STe lost a hour or more playing it on the weekend :D
Goddy
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Goddy »

Oh is there anything else in the pipeline :mrgreen:

Return to “Games - General”