Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Falcon - piracy letter

Post by coy »

letter from Spectrum Holobyte CEO to Compute magazine
Many of our competitors warned
us that releasing an ST product would
be a money-loser.
Many ST owners argue that the ST has no more pirates than the IBM or Mac. Many of us at Spectrum HoloByte believe this to be true. The problem is that the number of installed STs is considerably smaller than that of the IBM or Macintosh, thus increasing the impact of piracy on sales
with these 2 reasons combined no wonder US companies didn't bother to port their products to the ST... first time i see a ceo writing to a magazin to complain about piracy, btw :D
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Falcon - piracy letter

Post by bullis1 »

Interesting read. One of the most level-headed letters on the subject from someone in the industry too.

If anything, you can take "ST pirates seem better organized" as a sort of compliment...

EDIT: I like the name "Gilman G. Louie"; it's like some sort of nerdy gangster.
Member of the Atari Legend team
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by calimero »

and "Simpler, Cheaper, Better" letter is announcement for iPad :D ("Does anyone know what microprocessor or graphics chip it uses? Does antone care?")

:D
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X
sniperstorm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by sniperstorm »

I have an interesting story to tell you about ST Piracy. Back in the day there was a book that index and reviewed ever bit of ST software that came out. It was written by a local guy to me for Atari. Everyday he would receive the latest Game or Application or Utility that came out for the ST most of the time it was MONTHS early. He would review the software then send to info to Atari. What the software companies did not know and Atari did not know was the same guy was putting the software up on his PIRATE BBS the day he received it. The software would be up months before it ever hit the streets. I remember playing games 4 months before they hit the market. So the software companies and Atari was supplying the pirates BBS system with the software themselves. He also was friends with all the other PIRATE sysops and off the software went around the world.

The guy is no longer around as he passed away a few years ago. I have tried to contact his family and see if they still had the stuff. But they never respond.
SysOp: The St Guild BBS

telnet://stguild-bbs.dyndns.org
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

May be they fear that you're some law enforcement guy and will put them behind bars for harbouring a pirate.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Return to “Games - General”