All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

sober_hobo
Atarian
Atarian

Deuteros:the next millenium

Post by sober_hobo »

Hi people,
I am trying to locate the original disks for Deuteros, I have an atari ST ready but cant get hold of the disks anywhere and was hoping someone here could help. If they are not available is it possible to use the image files in some way on an original ST, extract them to a disk or something, long shot but worth a try. Well hope someone can help out there, would really appreciate it.

thanks,
Brian
teh3pwner
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by teh3pwner »

you will find everything about running images puting them on disks here:
http://www.ppest.org/atari/

and the game is attached.

oh and welcome to our fine forum hope you enjoy your stay here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Greenious »

Aah, Deuteros is one of my all-time fave games.

Millennium 2.2, the first one in the series is not bad either, and I loved that one too, but Deuteros... Aah, the memories...
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5040
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

teh3pwner wrote:you will find everything about running images puting them on disks here:
http://www.ppest.org/atari/

and the game is attached.

oh and welcome to our fine forum hope you enjoy your stay here.
Well, take note that you cannot write PASTI images back to disk. So if you want to play such a game on a real ST you have to get a crack of it.

The tools by ppera will only deal with MSA and ST, not STX disk images.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
teh3pwner
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by teh3pwner »

oh yeah silly me I didn't know that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the .st is attached :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sober_hobo
Atarian
Atarian

Deuteros

Post by sober_hobo »

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the help. You have no idea what I have been through for this :)

Off to try it out.

thanks again
sober_hobo
Atarian
Atarian

Image is blank

Post by sober_hobo »

Hi again,
Ok I used the utility to create the 2 floppys for deuteros but there appears to be nothing in the image files if you browse them. I tried using the program with several other images and you get a list of files so assuming there is something wrong with the deuteros.zip, can anyone else confirm if it is working ok.

I have tried the few images I could find and they seem to be ok.

Thanks,
Brian

P.S. Can anyone give me a link or two to download more images, I have tried dozens but they all seem to promise but not deliver, mostly lists of games for information only.
sober_hobo
Atarian
Atarian

STX

Post by sober_hobo »

Also one more thing, I searched the newsgroups and found a huge load of games but they are in STX format, is there any way of doing the same thing with these images? I saw that simonsunnnyboy said that the floppy image program wont do it, maybe another program?

Why does this seem more complicated now I am older than when I was in my teens doing this :lol: Guess it is senility setting in..... :?
Klapauzius
The Klaz
The Klaz

Post by Klapauzius »

Hi Brian,

the disk images are ok.

There are no files to be seen, because there aren't any in this version of the game. ;-)

Just put disk 1 into your ST's floppy drive, press the reset button and the game should load automatically.

Cheers

Klaz

PS: for more ST disks try:
http://www.planetemu.net/
This should keep you busy for a while :-)
http://www.klapauzius.net
http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/klaz

The tears are welling in my eyes again, I need twenty big buckets to catch them in, twenty pretty girls to carry them down, twenty deep holes to bury them in.
sober_hobo
Atarian
Atarian

Post by sober_hobo »

Thanks for that I thought that was all I had to do. Only things left to clear up is will Deuteros run on a 520st or does it need 1024st? not give this a thought until now.

Thanks for the link, got some gooduns there. :D
teh3pwner
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by teh3pwner »

hi I tryed it with tos 1.04 and 512k of ram and it worked like a charm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Re: Deuteros:the next millenium

Post by RetroGamerUK »

Good evening, I thought I would resurrect this thread as I've as of yet been unable to get this game to work properly on STEEM....
Does anyone know of a version of this game either menu or whatever that they know to work on the STEEM emulator from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, i.e. they have completed the game from start to finish this way and know with version they used?
I'm not bothered about what it says on other topics or what google throws back, I've been there and now I'm here, I've tried the PASTI version, cracks of this game, I even resorted to trying the amiga version on WInUAE and that version actually worked for the longest before I couldn't go any further....
And just in case I was simply missing something I checked the walkthroughs etc and as such it now seems the version I am playing is no good either...
Cheers.
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Post by RetroGamerUK »

Oh how rude of me I forgot to say please :wink:
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Post by RetroGamerUK »

Ok here's an easier question:
The item that is found floating in space outside the earth station, which you grab using the hydraulic grapple.
On one version of Deuteros when I start to research this item it shows as "Unknown Object", in another version of the game it is shown while being researched as a "Tachyon Transmitter", anyway in all versions of the game I have tried on both emulators when I try to research this item the research progress indicator sticks at 12% forever, I've fast forwarded the emulation but it doesn't move...
I've read about receiving messages from friendly aliens, I am assuming that I can't do this because I don't have the tachyon thingy cos this is the most buggy game ever made for 16 bit platforms perhaps???
Or am I missing something?
:x
coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by coy »

RetroGamerUK wrote:Ok here's an easier question:
The item that is found floating in space outside the earth station, which you grab using the hydraulic grapple.
anyway in all versions of the game I have tried on both emulators when I try to research this item the research progress indicator sticks at 12% forever, I've fast forwarded the emulation but it doesn't move...
I've read about receiving messages from friendly aliens, I am assuming that I can't do this because I don't have the tachyon thingy cos this is the most buggy game ever made for 16 bit platforms perhaps???
Or am I missing something?
:x
Hello
It's absolutly normal.

I guess it's because you haven't visited the others galaxy yet (there are 8 of them). Each parts of the Unkown Object are located over there; every times you find a new portion, the research progresses a little. I've been playing this game for days now, and my reasearch progreess indicator is at 36%. You don't have to establish new colony in all them though, just destroy all the bases of the methanoids, and after you will discover a new technology, then visit each planet of the galaxie with your grapple and you'll find a new part of the Unknow Objet. Have made a step by step walkthrough (and now i'm exausted...). Have decided to have a look because of the many great reviews about this game. Well, it's rather good and certainly have an entertaining atmosphere, but one thing that completely ruins the gameplay is that these #%!£@§! of methanoids keep on attacking your bases with their ships. I wonder how they can keep on building new ships since they have no more factory. Make no senses...

I play with the Pompey Pirates version by the way, excep one or two minor bugs, works fine so far
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Post by RetroGamerUK »

Ahh cheers coy! ;-)
I think I've figured out the problem I was having though, seems there is a bug in most versions the game in that the object shouldn't appear above earth at first, I am playing let's say a "different" version of the game now and there is no object in orbit above earth, the Meths have bases over more bodies in the System, and once defeated the plans for the big ship and better drones are found... and I have even got a foothold in another system, I've had more messages from the friendly aliens, it didn't take long to decipher their language since their alphabet and language differ to English only in the actual letters lol - what's the odds of that eh? :lol:
So basically I think that if you grab the object too soon it messes up the game so that you don't get the interstellar ship technology..
Hey but what a game! I can't pull myself away from it!
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Post by RetroGamerUK »

The tactic I have used is to build no more than 5 bases (including the first one over earth), that way the Meths don't attack until either you build a 6th base or trade with them enough for them to warn you or the impending attack and give you the plans to the laser.
Incidentally I believe that the amount of trading required to trigger this event is either randomly determined at the game start or differs across different versions of the game.

Anyway to have the best chance of surviving the sustained attacks is to first let your stocks build up to 50,000 at all 5 of your bases, particularly in Iron, Titanium and Aluminium, use transporters to balance it all, fast forward in the game and on the emulator helps.
Then you can trigger the war by either trading or building another base, at this point you get the laser / drone tech of course.
Then as soon as you have researched the drones begin to produce them at all bases constantly, it's easier to save the game, fast forward and note the base which gets attacked first, then re-load and make sure there's at least 200 drones with a fleet control ship there. I know this is cheating but trust me there is no way to build enough drones at every base quick enough, and like you say the meths seem to cheat anyway ;-)

Even with this method you will still need to produce shedloads of drones to have a chance of whacking the meths out of our system whilst maintaining a defence fleet at the target base.
And don't forget to produce plenty of Admirals.

Like I said, what a game 8)
coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by coy »

RetroGamerUK wrote:The tactic I have used is to build no more than 5 bases (including the first one over earth), that way the Meths don't attack until either you build a 6th base or trade with them enough for them to warn you or the impending attack and give you the plans to the laser.
Incidentally I believe that the amount of trading required to trigger this event is either randomly determined at the game start or differs across different versions of the game.

Anyway to have the best chance of surviving the sustained attacks is to first let your stocks build up to 50,000 at all 5 of your bases, particularly in Iron, Titanium and Aluminium, use transporters to balance it all, fast forward in the game and on the emulator helps.
Then you can trigger the war by either trading or building another base, at this point you get the laser / drone tech of course.
Then as soon as you have researched the drones begin to produce them at all bases constantly, it's easier to save the game, fast forward and note the base which gets attacked first, then re-load and make sure there's at least 200 drones with a fleet control ship there. I know this is cheating but trust me there is no way to build enough drones at every base quick enough, and like you say the meths seem to cheat anyway ;-)
This is indeed the way how to proceed, I even think this is the only one

Anyway, I've completed the game.. After you will get PLT (very useful to destroy many drones at once, but you should use it when you have very few drones in your ship as the torpedo kills both of them), the MTX which enable to tranfer instantaneously your stuff from planet to planet (works with all the galaxies), the Blaser (very good but you get it at the very end of the game) etc...

I think I prefer the first part (before the war); after it is too much like 'guess which planet will be attacked / reload the game / destroy the ship...' I mean it never stop, and it is somewhat tiring. Also there are too many galaxies (with more than 100 planets)... The gameplay remains the same so it becomes quite repetitive after a while. In the other hand, i like how you have to build a homogeneous network between the planets, how you have to be careful that the planets which continually build drones get all the required resources from the other ones. Pure management! When you have many planets, it can get very confusing..
RetroGamerUK wrote: And don't forget to produce plenty of Admirals
:lol: All my pilots are Warlord 8) I guess we don't play in the same category :mrgreen:

Seriously, an Amiral is upgrated to Warlord once you have made a round trip from a galaxie to another one; when you put a Warlord in a IOS ship, its power will be increased from 1400 to 2000! :wink:

Good luck anyway, it took me a week to beat the game. Don't expect to see an awesome ending though
coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by coy »

Have just found a trick from a forum; basically, if you want no more attack, just make one frame (Orbital Factory Section) and carry it to the end of the star system (Decuria) then set up the frame, and that's it... The Methanoids will try to attack, but as the base isn't yet functionnal, it won't work... cannot believe it, it's so simple :lol:

I know it's like a kind of cheat and it may kill the spirit of the game but IT'S JUST SO RESTFUL !! (Wish I found this tip earlier :?)

EDIT: forgot to mention i've just tested the tip and it just works fine
EDIT2: it seems that it only works with the Solar System
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by calimero »

Hi,
I played and finished this game a long time ago (on original Atari ST) but I cannot remember all things in game:

I remember that there is unknown object (18%)
I remember that there are some cryptic message
...all stuff that you are mentioned here :)

but could you wrote in short list of all milestone in game (with some screenshots perhaps)? :) (e.g. like these two thing above (unknown object and cryptic message))?

btw http://www.dixiak.com/deuteros/ but I am sure that all know for this... :)
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Post by RetroGamerUK »

coy wrote: the MTX which enable to tranfer instantaneously your stuff from planet to planet (works with all the galaxies)
Yeah you get this after capturing the first Meth Base :)
coy wrote: :lol: All my pilots are Warlord 8) I guess we don't play in the same category :mrgreen:

Seriously, an Amiral is upgrated to Warlord once you have made a round trip from a galaxie to another one; when you put a Warlord in a IOS ship, its power will be increased from 1400 to 2000! :wink:
Ahh never knew about that one, I've not yet made a round trip :o
coy wrote:Have just found a trick from a forum; basically, if you want no more attack, just make one frame (Orbital Factory Section) and carry it to the end of the star system (Decuria) then set up the frame, and that's it... The Methanoids will try to attack, but as the base isn't yet functionnal, it won't work... cannot believe it, it's so simple :lol:

I know it's like a kind of cheat and it may kill the spirit of the game but IT'S JUST SO RESTFUL !! (Wish I found this tip earlier :?)

EDIT: forgot to mention i've just tested the tip and it just works fine
EDIT2: it seems that it only works with the Solar System
I've seen these tips on a walkthrough, although it's probably impossible to finish the game without some sort of cheat I find it an acceptable challenge to let them bring their attacks once I've build a big enough stock of minerals etc... so I suppose I'm only "slightly cheating" lol
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Post by RetroGamerUK »

Well I seem to have found another possible bug...
Following coy's advice I sent the inter-system ships on return journeys back to Sol from the system I had reached, with the intention of promoting the Admirals to Warlords...
However, as soon as the ships arrive back they explode! 8O
I tried using a new ship with the same admiral, tried going to a different system for the second trip but it resulted in the same, the instant that the ships arrive they explode!
Is this supposed to happen?
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Post by RetroGamerUK »

Ahh I've found the answer myself ;-)
Seems that the other systems have to be taken in the order that they appear in the Mass Transporter buttons, otherwise key events won't happen lol
I tried this new approach after reading a walkthrough written in very dodgy Engrish!
When the Proxima system is taken (i.e. the meths are defeated there) you get the technology to travel at warp speed between systems and fancy that - your ships no longer explode! :)
So it's not such an open ended game after all :lol:
coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by coy »

RetroGamerUK wrote:Well I seem to have found another possible bug...
Following coy's advice I sent the inter-system ships on return journeys back to Sol from the system I had reached, with the intention of promoting the Admirals to Warlords...
However, as soon as the ships arrive back they explode! 8O
I tried using a new ship with the same admiral, tried going to a different system for the second trip but it resulted in the same, the instant that the ships arrive they explode!
Is this supposed to happen?
:lol: i did excatly the same thing than you, we're both as good :lol: (although i already suspected at that time that i'd need something else to get further in the game :angel: )

Glad you have found the HED fuel - HINT : Later on in the game, you'll need a lot of them, so remember, Helium + Deuterium = HED (you'll understand why it is important)

I've planned to play Millennium 2.2 btw (which is the first part actually); have you ever played that game? Some reviews say it's good but too easy..
calimero wrote:Hi,
I played and finished this game a long time ago (on original Atari ST) but I cannot remember all things in game:

I remember that there is unknown object (18%)
I remember that there are some cryptic message
...all stuff that you are mentioned here :)

but could you wrote in short list of all milestone in game (with some screenshots perhaps)? :) (e.g. like these two thing above (unknown object and cryptic message))
Gonna try (not very sure if it's exactly what you're asking for, though) :

Basically, you start on a planet with one rig, thanks to which, you can extract some resources (normal); from there, and after having created some workers (and also pilots and scientists), you build more rigs... to get more resources, then your scientists discovers the spacecraft technology, thanks to which, you'll be able to carry some stuff in space to... yes... set up a space station... In the space station (and only there), you can build a bigger ship so that you can travel and reach the others planets to... yesImage ... build others stations, and then you can... (!)... extract new resources, to... right... build new technologies ..Image

The aim of getting all those resources is to be able to build plenty warships and drones (ship's weapon) then you can prepare to meet the methanoids; after a few exchange with them, and because they're bored, they will declare war. As you have already a well trained army, hehe, it's not a problem, you can start to fight and drive them out of the solar system... then explore the others galaxies, discover new technologies etc... etc...

But the main goal of the game is to retrieve the parts of the Unknow Objet wich are scattered in each galaxies... What's the point with the coded messages? (forbidden to RGUK - spoilers)

Code: Select all

GREETINGS HUMAN.

WE ARE MONITORING ALL OF YOUR
TRANSMISSIONS IN AN ATTEMPT TO
UNDERSTAND YOUR LANGUAGE

THIS MESSAGE SHALL BE REPEATED
UNTIL WE ARE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE
FLUENTLY

THERE IS A SUBJECT OF GREAT
IMPORTANCE WE MUST DISCUSS
WITH YOU.

--------

GREETINGS ONCE AGAIN, HUMAN.

ALLOW US TO INTRODUCE OURSELVES.
WE ARE A PEACEFUL RACE, SIMILAR
TO YOURSELVES FROM A GALAXY
SOME 700000 PARSECS DISTANT.

WE HAVE ALREADY MADE CONTACT
WITH A RACE IN YOUR GALAXY AND
OBSERVE THAT YOU ARE BOTH AT
WAR. THIS IS TO BE EXPECTED.
WE TOO HAVE FOUND THEM TO BE
DISHONOURABLE. THIS TIME WE
MUST BE CERTAIN BEFORE PLACING
OUR TRUST IN YOU.

CONTACT WILL FOLLOW WHEN
OBSERVATIONS ARE COMPLETE.

--------

GREETINGS, FRIEND.

WE BELIEVE WE CAN TRUST YOU AND
REQUEST YOUR ASSISTANCE IN A
PROJECT TO OUR MUTUAL BENEFIT.

MANY LAND AGO, WE TRANSMUTED A
GIFT TO THE METHANOIDS. A GIFT
OF GREAT POWER AND IMPORTANCE.

SADLY, THEY DISASSEMBLED IT IN
AN ATTEMPT TO UNDERSTAND THE
TECHNOLOGY, A GRAVE MISTAKE.
OUR SCANNERS TELL US THAT THE
SEGMENTS ARE SCATTERED AMONG 8
STARS IN YOUR GALAXY. WE SHALL
INFORM YOU OF THEIR EXACT
LOCATION AS WE DETECT THEM.

--------

GREETINGS, FRIEND.

WE HAVE CONFIRMATION FROM OUR
SCANNERS THAT ONE SEGMENT OF
OUR APPARATUS IS
LYING IN ORBIT AROUND ATLANTIC,CHLOE, BABYLON,HADRIAN,ROMULUS,CAESIUS,PLIOCENE,ALPHA <=== random each new game

PLEASE ATTEMPT TO RECOVER THE
SEGMENT AND RETURN IT TO ANY
OF YOUR FACTORIES.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I9l9tyR ... re=related
coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by coy »

deut_001.png
deut_002.png
deut_003.png
deut_004.png
deut_005.gif

Return to “Games - General”