What Atari (the company) is up to nowadays

News, updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

nathanallan
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

What Atari (the company) is up to nowadays

Post by nathanallan »

Has anyone here been keeping up with Kurt Vendel's threads over at Atariage? There's work going on to get the Flashback3 and a FB2 handheld console out the door.

I also suggested that they work on something to have a competitor in the USA for the GP2X, and I started a thread about it there.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.ph ... =98582&hl=

Seems that Atari as a company is really trying to compete. I really feel that if they are willing to do all this, they can do something more. Hence my idea for a Linux based handheld. As for the FBP, they are starting to suport the homebrewers with all the features that is will have. Thoughts?

*I didn't know where else to post this, as there's not a 2600 section.

Nathan
WANTED: Linux powered Atari handheld
OPEN INVITE: http://www.legendarytimes.com/forum/index.php
Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Marakatti »

Well, first Atari needs to survive from it's financial losses. I think they made something like -68 million earlier this year. Without Infogrames money i think Atari has been dead already.

I think there's a stockholder meeting soon and if they approve a reverse stock split (or something like that) Atari might survive, otherwise it might sadly be the end of Atari once again.

Nasdaq has informed Atari many times that they are going to get removed from listings as their stock price is far below 1 dollar which is required to be listed in nasdaq. They had to sell many of their studios and franchises to make extra money.

Let's hope the best, their last financial result was promising, even if it was just something like 300 000 euros, but at least not loss:)

This should say it all financially
http://quotes.nasdaq.com/quote.dll?page ... ttype=line

Personally i think it's great to see Atari coming back to it's roots, but if there's no money, there might be no new hardware either...

Maybe Test Drive Unlimited and Neverwinter Nights 2 will save the company to fund these more exciting projects :roll:
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------
nathanallan
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by nathanallan »

I've been following that stuff, too. What I'd like to do is get people talking about the new projects in as many places as possible. Kurt is trying to get Atari's attention on a bunch of points, and I'm helping. Financially, yes, Atari is in trouble. Big bucks, too. One more reason to get people aware of the new and possible future products. I'm already in for two FBP's and am still pushing the idea of a Linux-Atari handheld. I mean come on, how cool would it be to run one of the emulators on REAL Atari hardware, using modern technology? I can't see that NOT being appealing! I know it's exciting for me!

Nathan
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

As far as I'm aware .. Atari (as in the company) hasn't existed for a loooong time.

Infogrames bought the name from Hasbro and has labelled several of it's design / coding studios with the Atari name - they closed down a load last year.

Atari is *just* a name - it's nothing to do with the old company we still love and use the hardware from.

It may trade on the stock market but that's probably a bit of financial trickery from Infogrames (being a French company) to get into the US stock market.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
guythp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by guythp »

I thought Atari games were still going?
The Hairy Pies
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by alexh »

Atari Games are still going, but they were never anything to do with the Atari ST portion. They did most of the later Arcade games.

Atari Corp is the one which was responsible for the ST(e) / Falcon / Jaguar and is now the new name for Infogrammes.
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Here's the definitive history ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari

The company that currently bears the Atari name was founded in 1993 under the name GT Interactive. GT Interactive was acquired by IESA in 1999,[1] and renamed Infogrames, Inc.[2] Infogrames acquired the Atari brand name from its purchase of Hasbro Interactive,[3] which in turn had acquired it from JTS Corporation[4], which the original Atari had merged with in 1996.[5] Initially Infogrames, Inc. intermittently used the Atari name as a brand name for selected titles before IESA officially changed the U.S. subsidiary's name to Atari, Inc. in 2003.[1],

&

Atari Games was split off in 1984 with the rights to use the brand on arcade games, such as Klax, Gauntlet and Roadblasters as well as rights to the original 1972 - 1984 arcade properties.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Marakatti »

alexh wrote:Atari Games are still going, but they were never anything to do with the Atari ST portion. They did most of the later Arcade games.
I remember reading that Atari Games died in 1996 when it was merged to Midway Games. the Result was "Midway Games West" or something... They produced also some great N64 conversions like California Speed, San Francisco Rush and Rush2
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by alexh »

Interesting... it looks like they sold the rights to hasbro

I could have sworn some of the newer Gauntlet Legends and Star Wars titles had Atari on them.
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

alexh wrote:Interesting... it looks like they sold the rights to hasbro

I could have sworn some of the newer Gauntlet Legends and Star Wars titles had Atari on them.
As above, it's just branding these days. The game of Monopoly I have on my mobile has got an Atari logo that appears before it starts.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by christos »

And if you visit atari.com you will see that atari is the publisher. Infogrames Atari.
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Re: What Atari (the company) is up to nowadays

Post by RetroGamerUK »

nathanallan wrote:Seems that Atari as a company is really trying to compete. I really feel that if they are willing to do all this, they can do something more. Hence my idea for a Linux based handheld. As for the FBP, they are starting to suport the homebrewers with all the features that is will have. Thoughts?
I doubt that any profit making company would invest in something unless there was a certain level of market potential for the product - is this an obvious fact of capitalism?
So unless there are millions of kids out there who want to pay good money for some linux based device that requires a PHD in geekometrics just to load a game (assuming any decent, non-vapourware games are available), then I doubt that this device would be a good investment for them.

However, if I am wrong about capitalism then I do apologise, and lagree that this thing could work!

What is FBP by the way? :?
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by bullis1 »

I'm assuming "FBP" stands for "FlashBack Portable." Basically one of those plug-n-play Atari 2600 consoles but in a handheld form. Doesn't seem like any fun to me though. I'm pretty sure Pong multiplay should remain on a single screen.

A side note about Atari Games, the arcade developer: The T-Mek = greatest hovertank game ever. It'll even make you forget Battlezone! Don't play the PC port of T-Mek though.
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Post by RetroGamerUK »

Hmmm, yyyyy , mmmmm I dont know what I think of that idea :?
Thanks for the info though Fonzie :D
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by bullis1 »

Not a problem! And besides, aren't the normal Flashback consoles "portable" in the sense that they are small, light, require very little power consumption, and can be plugged into just about any screen anywhere? But I guess it's not handheld.

Anyway, the bottom line is that "Atari" as a business is simply intellectual property nowadays, not an entity. I'm pretty sure about that.
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Post by RetroGamerUK »

Oh definitely, the "Atari" that we all see whilst loading our favourite recent games is associated with a corporation that is nothing to do with 2600s, STs, XLs, retro-arcade games etc...
Funny how the name "Commodore" hasn't been bought yet..... has it?
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by bullis1 »

I actually think it has, but by a small company. However, I haven't really read anything about that for three or four years now so I'm not sure. My memory is pretty fuzzy on that. Atari keeps getting used as a name because it was at some point popular in all parts of the (non-asian-market) world for some reason or another, whether it be for consoles, arcades, or computers. Commodore however was always a computer brand (except for the CD32) and was also popular mainly in Europe. I don't see any big international game publishers using the Commodore name any time soon.

The Intellivision name is now used by a company who makes - you guessed it - plug n' play TV games.
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by christos »

http://www.commodorecorp.com/corporate/home.aspx

Actually Flashback 2 is real Atari hardware, an fpga version of the original Atari 2600 chipset. Development was outsourced but Atari did the manufacturing and distributing (manufacturing in the sense that they paid for it).
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by bullis1 »

Well, Flashback 2 is someone else's hardware with the Atari name on it to be exact. Atari is not the same company anymore. But I'm sure this could be argued.

Wow, that Commodore site looks professional. Too bad they don't offer any actual useful products or services for the consumer (I didn't read the whole site though, just checked their "products" page. Seems like a vaporware producer to me.
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by christos »

Atari is not the Atari Corp we loved but it holds the rights to the Atari brand name and the IP and I can see a serious attempt to embrace the retro market. At least at an administrative level they are present in retro shows and have improved their relations with the community. That I see as a step in the right direction. Tbh the Atari brand means more across the Atlantic but I am pretty sure that once they realize that there is a market in Europe too I am optimistic that both the Atari 8bit and the ST will come into play. However I am not expecting anything. I believe that the ST/Falcon - that's the only thing I can talk about - is a community issue. We' re still alive, still active we can do a few things. I am processing an idea (an applicable one) that could give a boost. I have to admit I am processing it on a 030@16Mhz so it would take a while . :wink:
nathanallan
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by nathanallan »

Agreed, Atari has a lot to overcome. But I'd like them to, and get at least a foothold back in the market.

How well is the GP2X doing in Europe? I know a bunch of people here who've never heard of the thing and are curious, then there are people like me that have read up on it and really would like one but can't cause it isn't readily available. Are they hard to operate and work with?? Inform me! I'm in the dark over here and can't get one. Assuming they *are* hard to work with, why? is it the user interface? Is there a problem with the link between the PC and the handheld? So far, I've heard nothing but good about them.

People over at atariage coined FBP, it's an unofficial name. I coined Atari Revolution :D There's a huge homebrew scene over here in the states. People are making new carts for the 2600, 7800 and 5200 consoles, you can get a cart slot 'upgrade' for the FB2, and lots of instructions to get you to build all kinds of hardware for most anything. If I recall correctly, there're even places that will still do memory upgrades for the ST and can get parts, too(not local to me, though, maybe in Dalls/Ft. Worth). People have also modded the FB2 to be truly portable, with Sony PS2 screens and batteries for on-the-go use. And over here, every Atari product has sold out, (not including the FB1, that sucked royally), and based on the attitude I perceive over at atariage, every new product will as long as they continue to pay attention to the community's opinion. Even a short run of a FBP would have people here wanting one, or a Linux handheld. I can imagine people modding it to be a "pocket server!"

Nathan
b..o..b
Atariator
Atariator

Post by b..o..b »

nathanallan wrote:Agreed, Atari has a lot to overcome. But I'd like them to, and get at least a foothold back in the market.

How well is the GP2X doing in Europe? I know a bunch of people here who've never heard of the thing and are curious, then there are people like me that have read up on it and really would like one but can't cause it isn't readily available. Are they hard to operate and work with?? Inform me! I'm in the dark over here and can't get one. Assuming they *are* hard to work with, why? is it the user interface? Is there a problem with the link between the PC and the handheld? So far, I've heard nothing but good about them.

Nathan
I don't know what's going on with this thread but I keep getting a 404 error message by answering this one. I hope the server accepts these 3 lines and I will answer it in a new thread. I guess it's a bit off-topic anyway.

[edit] still can't fully answer this question without any problem or post a new one (I've tried copying text into a message)
b..o..b
Atariator
Atariator

Post by b..o..b »

I've answered your question here:
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=34323

Great forum and great community. And a forum that simply works :)
nathanallan
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by nathanallan »

b..o..b, you are seriously tempting me to buy a GP2X. I read a few things from that forum you posted in, quite interesting. I wish Atari would make a compatible unit, though, still. But you've got me wanting one. Maybe after Christmas.

Nathan

Return to “Website Discussions”