Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: EmuTOS 1.0

Post by Rustynutt »

joska wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:00 am
Rustynutt wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:40 pm Was thinking of a way to get the Falcon hardware up without reading the 4.04 ROM at power up, then allowing the tool kit to start, read TOS into RAM, patch and soft reboot. As long as somewhere in that sequence, the Falcon doesn't go looking for a bootable cartridge ROM.
You could put a stock EmuTOS on cartridge (or even in ROM) and have it loading a patched TOS-image from the auto-folder. It is also possible to put a compressed image of an AB-aware TOS in ROM together with a small loader, that sets up the AB (caches, fast-RAM), unpacks the TOS to fast-RAM and then boots. Then you wouldn't have to boot twice, of the more annoying "features" of the AB :)
Yup, all discussed long ago, but being dusted off :D
Have a few ROM to burn, never picked up the burner to do the job.
Writing a loader is way beyond me. Do know how to capture everything to burn into a ROM from memory. As the configuration never changes, and the ROM can always be replaced, makes most sense to me.
But, need to test the adapter on the AB first, if there is something programmed into the MACH chips that is the issue, back to "just" being an 040 machine.
Using EmuTOS to get the hardware up, if it works, then load a patched TOS captured from memory (I use BSS Debug for this) if AB tools recognizes TOS2ROM before it launches....hell have a mess here.
Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Rustynutt »

The current hold up, aside from everything else being a hold up, is my original AB with socket mounted cpu is down. AIRC, was toying with the clock distribution IC, replacing it with the tighter controlled 060 version some years ago. The 2nd AB has the cpu soldered in. It works, but useless for these test.
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

stormy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:08 am Does the Falcon DSP work with EmuTOS? (on real hardware)
EmuTOS doesn't implement any of the DSP related (XBios) OS calls. Therefore any application using DSP through them will fail, which is (almost) everything that has support for DSP, and no option for disabling that DSP support. Some Falcon demo programming DSP directly through HW registers (without DSP OS calls) should work though.

Hatari documentation on EmuTOS compatibility includes some notes about this in its Falcon section:
https://hatari.tuxfamily.org/doc/emutos.txt
anodyne
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by anodyne »

stormy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:08 am Does the Falcon DSP work with EmuTOS? (on real hardware)
EmuTOS does not (yet) support any XBIOS DSP calls. So if a DSP application uses the XBIOS to set up the DSP (which I assume most would), it wouldn't (yet) run under EmuTOS. Of course, if it just accesses the hardware directly, EmuTOS doesn't stand in its way :-).

(Later) Just saw that Eero had already answered this ...
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

Well done EmuTOS Team!

Below you can find figures from NVDI's GEM_TEST.PRG:
Base machine was clean (no NVDI installed!) 1MB STE with TOS 1.62:
Steem__00003_EmuTOS_woBLiTTER.png
Steem__00003_EmuTOS_wBLiTTER.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Strange results, partly. Why are inquire functions slower with blitter enabled? They should not be affected by blitter setting at all. And why is AES object draw almost identical, which involves a lot of line drawing and rectangle fills?
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

Congratulations to the team with this release. Well done!
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core
davemacblack
Atariator
Atariator

Post by davemacblack »

Thank you for your hard work and congratulations on achieving this important moment!

Do you already have an idea of the direction of further development?
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

davemacblack wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:43 pm Thank you for your hard work and congratulations on achieving this important moment!

Do you already have an idea of the direction of further development?
I'm not part of EmuTOS devel team, but there are still few large things missing for TOS v3 & v4 compatibility:
* Falcon 16-bit HiColor mode support for XBios mode setting, and in all VDI drawing functions
* 32 Dsp_* XBios functions + DSP support for 8 XBios sounds functions
* TOS v4 AES 3D look (objc_sysvar)
* TOS v3 AES menu functions
* RSC file color icon support

Most likely these will be available only in the 512k version of EmuTOS. For GEM applications last one is most important, for Falcon games & demos, probably the DSP support.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

The only thing i know of which is missing from TOS 3.x are wind_get/set(WF_DCOLOR). But since there is no way on TOS 3.x (without appl_getinfo) to detect its presence, i doubt that any program except its CPX module is using it. All other functionality is from TOS 4.x, and EmuTOS does not claim to be compatible with that yet.
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

At end of EmuTOS status.txt: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/emuto ... status.txt

Following is listed:

Code: Select all

AES v3.30 (TOS > v3.06):
 -      menu_attach
 -      menu_istart
 -      menu_popup
 -      menu_settings
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Yes, > does not mean >= ;) Those calls were not implemented before 4.01, and have not been part of TT TOS 3.06 (which is AES v3.20)
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

I see (now, I'm blaming my deteriorating eye-sight). So, only some (a huge amount of) TOS v4 functionality is missing.

Return to “News & Announcements”