EmuTOS 1.0

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

anodyne
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

EmuTOS 1.0

Post by anodyne »

The EmuTOS developers are pleased to announce the release of EmuTOS 1.0.

In case you didn't know, EmuTOS is a GEMDOS-compatible operating system for Atari computers and is a free and open source replacement for common TOS images for Atari emulators.

The main new features of EmuTOS 1.0 are:
- BIOS: Change Spanish character set to Atari ASCII, like Atari TOS
- BIOS: Improve joystick compatibility with Atari TOS
- EmuDesk: It is now equivalent to the Atari TOS 2/3/4 desktop
- VDI: Improve text display
- General: Add Polish language support

You can easily test EmuTOS on your real Atari hardware. Get emutos-prg*.zip from the link below, extract the PRG matching your favourite language, put it on a floppy (or hard disk partition), run it on your Atari, and you're done!

You can download your preferred binary archive here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/emutos ... mutos/1.0/
robdaemon
Atari User
Atari User

Re: EmuTOS 1.0

Post by robdaemon »

Congratulations and thank you for all the hard work on EmuTOS! :cheers:
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Great !!
Thank you and the team behind for this new version !!
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Finally! Took only 19 years to get a 1.0 version :D :D :D

Code: Select all

Using config file: '~/.aranym/config'
Using video driver x11
Using audio driver pulse
ARAnyM RTC Timer: /dev/rtc: Permission denied
Path to TOS ROM image file undefined
EmuTOS 2020/09/01 loading from '~/.aranym/emutos-aranym.img'... [OK]
EmuTOS version 1.0
Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Rustynutt »

Thanks for ALL the hard work over the years :cheers:
Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Anima »

Good news! Thanks for your work!
jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by jvas »

What does it mean "Significant parts of the VDI have been rewritten in C for greater maintainability" speed-wise?
dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dhedberg »

A milestone in Atari history! Well done!
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org.
Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo It's that time of the year again, or click here to feel the JOY.
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Well done for all the hard work to make it to 1.0! :cheers:
shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Post by shoggoth »

Wow! Hats off and big thanks.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.
BlankVector
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by BlankVector »

Special Kudos to Roger Burrows for bringing EmuTOS to version 1.0 :D And also to all other developers and contributors. This is the culmination of all the hard work of many people over 2 decades. EmuTOS is now mature, equivalent to TOS 1/2/3 and much more.
Be sure this is not the end, but a new beginning :D

emutos.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Replace Atari STE ROMs with EEPROMs.
anodyne
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by anodyne »

jvas wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:37 am What does it mean "Significant parts of the VDI have been rewritten in C for greater maintainability" speed-wise?
The speed is more-or-less the same. Some specific cases (as measured by my own special-purpose test programs):
. text rotation: about 3% faster for 180 degree rotation; about 10% slower for 90 & 270 degree rotation
. text outline: speed was slightly improved
. text scaling: speed was 5-10% better
I don't think that any of the above is detectable when running GEMbench, and I don't notice any real change myself (except as noted below).

As noted, the main reason for the rewrite was to make it much easier to fix bugs and add new features. One of the new features is a fast 'plain text' mode. You should notice a speedup when displaying desktop windows as text (at least in medium-res and hi-res display modes).
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

Nice Work! Thanks.
Zorro 2
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Zorro 2 »

Great work guys !

Atari users description to download in sourceforge:
- emutos-512k-1.0.zip - for emulators like Hatari or Steem
- emutos-192k-1.0.zip - for Atari ST/STF
- emutos-256k-1.0.zip - for Atari STE

It's time to test :)
Member of NoExtra Team
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Zorro 2 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:54 am Atari users description to download in sourceforge:
- emutos-512k-1.0.zip - for emulators like Hatari or Steem
- emutos-192k-1.0.zip - for Atari ST/STF
- emutos-256k-1.0.zip - for Atari STE
512k version being most full featured EmuTOS version & supporting all HW makes it an easy choice with emulators. However, those features also cause it to use more memory than the smaller EmuTOS ROM images. Lower memory usage makes 256k & 192k images more compatible with STE & ST software, so in some situations use of them is also necessary, regardless of whether it's in emulator or not.

Also, doesn't STeem emulate only ST & STE, and not support NatFeats? If yes, why somebody would use 512k image with it instead of 256k one?

I would just state something like this:
- emutos-512k-1.0.zip - for Atari TT/Falcon, but supports also ST/STE
Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Rustynutt »

Roger, do you know if this would be 060 boot compatible?
Want to test an 68060 on an Afterburner with a 040 to 060 socket adapter.
Have toyed for years with this project, think both JoEven and Doug thought getting around the few illegal 060 instructions in TOS 4.04 might be something to look at.
Will admit, it's been sidelined for about 6 years now.
Thanks!
stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by stormy »

Does the Falcon DSP work with EmuTOS? (on real hardware)
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb
shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Post by shoggoth »

I just gave 1.0 a spin.

As a long time user of EmuTOS, this calls for some celebration. This release is the result of a stable and determined development process, considering each step carefully. I've been following the EmuTOS development list for years and I've always been very impressed by how well Roger and Vincent has treated the list, the developers, and in the end: the code. There are no crowd pleasers in there, that's what makes it so great. It's the real deal, on a really solid foundation.

Happy days!
Ain't no space like PeP-space.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Rustynutt wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:57 am Roger, do you know if this would be 060 boot compatible?
Want to test an 68060 on an Afterburner with a 040 to 060 socket adapter.
It does boot on the 040 on a real Falcon, but stability and speed is an issue as the Afterburner is not correctly set up (which I didn't expect either, since EmuTOS does not claim to support it). However, the cartridge-version of EmuTOS should in theory boot on the Afterburner with a 060.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Rustynutt »

That would be a start.
How did you set up EmuTOS on the cartridge ROMS? How does it get to the hard disk, and auto folder? TKROM driver, think, is where Doug copies TOS into ALT RAM, and makes a few patches before a warm reboot.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

The cartridge-version of EmuTOS will boot to the internal shell, as there is no AES or desktop. But it should be possible to start MiNT from the auto-folder as usual - once the AB is supported. Either directly in EmuTOS or by a separate driver. Doug's AB-driver can *not*`be used, as this is driver is very specific to TOS 4.04. I made some feeble attempts of getting EmuTOS running properly on my AB but I don't understand the caches and MMU well enough for that.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
marcello
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by marcello »

Congrats for the 1.0 release, I love those desk icons (and wish TeraDesk use them as default too :p)

I booted 1.0 on my STE and the programs I used the most all works. Especially the serial communications programs TAZ and Uniterm works, and the STE WAV player from pera putnik works too (for mentioning hardware features)
STMint, try Unix on your 68000 Atari http://subsole.org/st_mint
Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Rustynutt »

joska wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:49 pm The cartridge-version of EmuTOS will boot to the internal shell, as there is no AES or desktop. But it should be possible to start MiNT from the auto-folder as usual - once the AB is supported. Either directly in EmuTOS or by a separate driver. Doug's AB-driver can *not*`be used, as this is driver is very specific to TOS 4.04. I made some feeble attempts of getting EmuTOS running properly on my AB but I don't understand the caches and MMU well enough for that.
Right, ok.

So EmuTOS boots to an internal shell?
Does it read hardware to get to the HD boot sector, or do you have to launch a driver for HD access via floppy after it boots?

Have thoughts, but a difficult time putting the idea into sequence.

Falcon powers up.
Looks for magic number, if yes, boots from cartridge port.
So, EmuTOS boots.

Need to revisit the AB Cook Book.
Realize the took kit is TOS 4.04 specific.

Also need to set aside time to test the Amiga 040/060 socket adapter. It's the exact same design as the Milan adapter.
Proof in the pudding, is to test on the Milan first.

Why I brought this up under the EmuTOS post was when testing a home brew 040/060 adapter on the AB failure.
But now that I think about it, that adapter didn't work on the Milan either.

Was thinking of a way to get the Falcon hardware up without reading the 4.04 ROM at power up, then allowing the tool kit to start, read TOS into RAM, patch and soft reboot. As long as somewhere in that sequence, the Falcon doesn't go looking for a bootable cartridge ROM.

EmuTOS would be a good trouble shooting tool there.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Rustynutt wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:40 pm So EmuTOS boots to an internal shell?
Only the cartridge-version, since there is no room for the AES/desktop in only 128k.
Rustynutt wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:40 pm Does it read hardware to get to the HD boot sector, or do you have to launch a driver for HD access via floppy after it boots?
It has a built-in harddisk driver and will boot from either IDE or SCSI.
Jo Even

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Rustynutt wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:40 pm Was thinking of a way to get the Falcon hardware up without reading the 4.04 ROM at power up, then allowing the tool kit to start, read TOS into RAM, patch and soft reboot. As long as somewhere in that sequence, the Falcon doesn't go looking for a bootable cartridge ROM.
You could put a stock EmuTOS on cartridge (or even in ROM) and have it loading a patched TOS-image from the auto-folder. It is also possible to put a compressed image of an AB-aware TOS in ROM together with a small loader, that sets up the AB (caches, fast-RAM), unpacks the TOS to fast-RAM and then boots. Then you wouldn't have to boot twice, of the more annoying "features" of the AB :)
Jo Even

Return to “News & Announcements”