Post by Zorro 2 »

We are saved, thanks guys :D
Member of NoExtra Team
leglod
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Big issue with atari-forum.com

Post by leglod »

Salut, tu peux me faire un rapide resumer Francais, mon Anglais is so very limited :(
Grilichili bruit de crayon sur papier.
Les dinosaures de la micro :) ... Mini-Z ...
rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by rpineau »

le resumé : tout est réglé, le forum reste sur le meme nom de domain, tout va bien.

Rodolphe
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator
MegaSTE 4MB + CosmosEx / 1040 STF for hardware dev
http://www.rti-zone.org/atari.php
MrMaddog
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by MrMaddog »

I'm so glad to hear everything's resolved and that Ms. Keller or anyone at (current) Atari have no problem with this forum. I figured it was some automatic "search and send e-mail" but still something like this shouldn't happen without anyone checking into this...it's not like anyone uses the domain to sell Atari-branded computers with no license right?
xtenbombx
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by xtenbombx »

Fantastic and the only correct outcome. Also nice to see how much this site means to the community. So much content and history here that it would have been a shame if that had been lost.
I am the master of cr*p signatures!
Atari 1040 (4mb) STe
Atari 520 STFM (with red LEDs and cooling fan)
Atari 520 STe - boxed after being saved from Freecycle. Not yet played with. ;-)
Collects emulators and software from all over the web for ATARI ST, AMIGA, & old consoles.
Also a member of the http://www.pleasuredome.org.uk/ legal torrent tracker.
shalroth
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by shalroth »

Common sense prevails. I thought of the Japanese word defence but it had already been mentioned. I've heard it means something like "You are about to be defeated" or, by analogy, Checkmate.

Of course, you could have mentioned that you've owned this domain for far longer than Atari Interactive have owned their intellectual property (and they were known as Infogrames).

And at least Atari Interactive were keen to engage with the users! I'm sorry - but that's something that would have never happened under the Tramiels.
---------------------
Stock Falcon030 (4MB TOS 4.02), 2GB SSD, SoundPool SPDIF FDI,
Mega 2 (TOS 1.2), Vortex HDplus 40, AT Speed
4160STe, Sound Master, SatanDisk (TOS 1.62),
520STm, (TOS 1.0 / 2.06), 1024KB, Cumana Dual Floppies
2x520STe
2x520STfm
2x 65XE, XEGS, XC12
800XL, 1050 Floppy drive, SIO2PC (USB), XEP80
400 with B-key keyboard, 16KB
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by lp »

shalroth wrote:Common sense prevails. I thought of the Japanese word defence but it had already been mentioned. I've heard it means something like "You are about to be defeated" or, by analogy, Checkmate.

Of course, you could have mentioned that you've owned this domain for far longer than Atari Interactive have owned their intellectual property (and they were known as Infogrames).

And at least Atari Interactive were keen to engage with the users! I'm sorry - but that's something that would have never happened under the Tramiels.
That's an assumption about the Tramiels and no one can know the outcome. Jack isn't around and well that's like all the goofs trying to guess what Steve Jobs "would of done". You see that sort of thing all the time posted on the apple forums too. Atari is struggling, that's a fact and the last thing they need is negative press, so the motivation is simply the will to survive. If business was booming, how would it of gone? That's a more realistic scenario to guess about. :wink:
shalroth
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by shalroth »

lp wrote:That's an assumption about the Tramiels and no one can know the outcome. Jack isn't around and well that's like all the goofs trying to guess what Steve Jobs "would of done". You see that sort of thing all the time posted on the apple forums too. Atari is struggling, that's a fact and the last thing they need is negative press, so the motivation is simply the will to survive. If business was booming, how would it of gone? That's a more realistic scenario to guess about. :wink:
You're absolutely right, I was being unfair and unkind. At least in the UK, I always felt that Atari sold their computer products here, and recognized the market to a degree, but never really pushed their products or engaged with the userbase. I never needed to contact Atari Support back in the day, but I remember Atari UK were famously tight-lipped when asked for product details, plans and interviews in the UK press, when they should have been throwing themselves around as much as they could to remind us they were still alive. They seemed to launch products, and expect us to find them!

I can remember seeing a TV commercial (an American one) for the 2600jr in 1989, and there were a few full-page adverts for the Falcon in the Atari magazines in 1992 / 1993 (I also remember seeing larger ads for the ST in older magazines that I've read very recently, probably more Atari magazines, and I don't remember much more than that). The USA had the official 'Atari Explorer' publication - which I'd never heard of until I found Atarimania.com! So I don't think I'm too out of line to say that, particularly as we approached the mid-nineties and the Jaguar-focus, that we British Atari enthusiasts felt increasingly on our own.
---------------------
2x520STe
2x520STfm
2x 65XE, XEGS, XC12
MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Re: AW: Big issue with atari-forum.com

Post by MasterOfGizmo »

The only serious approach to this I can think of is to ask the current brand owner for a price tag and then setup a crowd funding campain.
Cyprian wrote:
KLund1 wrote:
bandit wrote:maybe we should put all out money together and buy atari?
GREAT IDEA ! ! ! ! !
Lets do it! :)
Gesendet von meinem GT-I8190 mit Tapatalk
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki
shalroth
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by shalroth »

MasterOfGizmo wrote:The only serious approach to this I can think of is to ask the current brand owner for a price tag and then setup a crowd funding campain.
It's a nice thought... or at least they could give the trademark "Atari Computers" to the community - a bit like how Warner separated Atari into the Atari Consumer and Atari Coin for home/office and arcade machines respectively. Tramiel bought Consumer and renamed it Atari Corporation, and Warner kept Coin, renaming it Atari Games. There's scope for doing something similar.

The name would have to be sufficiently different from plain old "Atari" so as to avoid confusion with the current brand, which let's face it, is confused enough.

I like this:

Click for bigger.

(Any similarity to the current Atari trademarks and logotypes is moderately coincidental and I will remove this image if the copyright holders object. Similarly, any resemblance to Disney's "Tron" intellectual properties is intended for demonstration purposes and is not representative of any intended product)

Atari's current owners seem to be most interested in selling updated versions of the Atari classics on modern platforms, these days. There have been a few original titles, but they seem to mostly be focussing on recreating the Arcade and Home classics, for the nostalgia fans. This is great! I love the fact that they're concentrating on recreating the feel of the vintage arcade machines as closely as possible, and not embellishing the games for a modern audience. That's how Hasbro sullied the name. Atari Anthology for Xbox even (IIRC) recreated the glow of the vector beam trace in games like asteroids. *That's* attention to detail.

So - for a company that seems to be surviving almost purely by looking to the past - I can't see them having any issues with the community being given the official rights to continue to develop TOS, perhaps making all the TOS ROMs public domain, and giving us permission to recreate ANTIC, POKEY, GTIA so we can have our FireBees and MISTs and Sukas, without fear of reprisal, but also perhaps a similar hardware recreation of the A8 as well? I'd buy a tiny FPGA-based 800 clone!
---------------------
2x520STe
2x520STfm
2x 65XE, XEGS, XC12
MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Post by MasterOfGizmo »

O
shalroth wrote:but also perhaps a similar hardware recreation of the A8 as well? I'd buy a tiny FPGA-based 800 clone!
Just for the records: There's a Atari 800 compatible core for the mist available.

See http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HwGkkjGdBcA

That's a prototype mist you see there, but the core runs equally well on the series devices.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki
shalroth
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by shalroth »

MasterOfGizmo wrote:
Just for the records: There's a Atari 800 compatible core for the mist available.

See http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HwGkkjGdBcA

That's a prototype mist you see there, but the core runs equally well on the series devices.
I had a feeling this would have been done but I was too lazy to do a google. Great example.
---------------------
2x520STe
2x520STfm
2x 65XE, XEGS, XC12

Return to “News & Announcements”