New visitor? Your first three posts need to be approved

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Lektroid
Atariator
Atariator

Re: New visitor? Your first three posts need to be approved

Post by Lektroid »

A little introduction from me... I used the Atari extensively throughout the '90s for music. One of the record labels I was signed to in 1992 converted all my Amiga tracker mods to Cubase and used Akai samplers, and showed me the way of the world of studio recording. I was hooked from then on. Bought my self an 1040STE, threw in 4MB RAM and a SM124, a couple of samplers and I was rocking. I stayed faithful to Atari throughout the '90s, until I bought my first PC, then later moved over to mac. One of the things I noticed was the lack of studio hardware support, which I thought would eventually turn up, but never did, not the way the Atari market was captured anyway.

I still have all my old disks with tracks and synth patches, I still have those old synths but have long since been factory reset, the only way to get those sounds loaded back into my synths was to get another Atari, so I bought myself a couple of dead STs (a 520STFM and a 1040STE), and bought them back to life. Grabbed myself a monitor and I'm mack in business with all my old sounds.

Thank you Atari!
MegaSTEarian
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by MegaSTEarian »

Hi everyone,

I’m MegaSTEarian, live in Germany and have been an Atari enthusiast since it came out. I had a 1040STe back in the days but after a few years I sold it -not sure I regret about things I do but I sure regret this sale. Couple of days ago I bought myself a MegaSTE 4 and I’m back in the game. I thought accessories for Ataris would be easier to find, as they are for the Amiga scene, but turns out it is not. Pity :(
Well, this is me. I will post a photo of the Mega baby as soon as I have unpacked it.
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

Equipped with the best machine of the ST line, you're ready for the complete fun. ;)
MegaSTEarian
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by MegaSTEarian »

Cheers, this is what I thought. A well equipped STE is the way to go now.
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

MegaSTEarian wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:27 pm Cheers, this is what I thought. A well equipped STE is the way to go now.
Great machines. Always handy to have the MegaSTE SPEED.PRG in your AUTO folder for those pesky programs that don't like the slow lane of 8Mhz ;)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
MegaSTEarian
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by MegaSTEarian »

Yeah, read about it. I’m currently waiting to get the monitor to vga adapter delivered so I can fully enjoy it.
LaceySnr
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaceySnr »

Lektroid wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:28 pm A little introduction from me... I used the Atari extensively throughout the '90s for music. One of the record labels I was signed to in 1992 converted all my Amiga tracker mods to Cubase and used Akai samplers, and showed me the way of the world of studio recording. I was hooked from then on. Bought my self an 1040STE, threw in 4MB RAM and a SM124, a couple of samplers and I was rocking.
That's a great story! Hope you're having new fun once again :)
Atlantis
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Atlantis »

Hi everyone

Lost my nickname Atlantis (I don't know why), so, Atari Fan since approx. 1987...
Game developer in several French videoGames Compagnies, On Atari ST then MegaCD and PCs.
Adventure Games lover in front of the eternal who I am, decided in 2012 to create new titles !
I don't know if anyone has heard about ATHANOR 2 - Legend of the Birdmen, my last adventure game on Atari ST ?

Maybe, it would be better to create a thread about the game if there is some adventure games fans ! :D

See you
Atlantis
There is 10 types of people.
Those who knows binary and the others !

Some ATARI 1040 STf, STe, Mega STe, Mega ST1/4, TT, Falcon/Ct060 and Milan 030
Tweeter : https://twitter.com/3615Athanor
YT : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsyJCW ... subscriber
DoG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by DoG »

AtlantisErik wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:12 pm ... I don't know if anyone has heard about ATHANOR 2 - Legend of the Birdmen, my last adventure game on Atari ST ?

Maybe, it would be better to create a thread about the game if there is some adventure games fans ! :D...
Would be nice if you could write a little, separate thread about. Some screenshot and download link perhaps. I loved adventure games when I was younger. Still do of course.
Atlantis
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Atlantis »

Thanks @DoG !
I will create a thread about the game with some screens, links and packaging photos !
If you remember and loved : Maupiti Island or Explora for example, you will love Athanor 2 !
(The game is all in English & French)
There is 10 types of people.
Those who knows binary and the others !

Some ATARI 1040 STf, STe, Mega STe, Mega ST1/4, TT, Falcon/Ct060 and Milan 030
Tweeter : https://twitter.com/3615Athanor
YT : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsyJCW ... subscriber
Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Post by Brume »

Hey Welcome Atlantis! :)
For those who want to know more about Eric's work, we wrote an interview with him on AL last year:
https://www.atarilegend.com/interviews/ ... view_id=39
neoman
Atarian
Atarian

Post by neoman »

Hello, seems like this is a thread to say Hello to everyone:

I'm André from Germany, 37 years old, and long-time demoscene coder and activist in the demogroup Titan. On 68k platforms I worked in the last year on the two Megadrive Overdrive demos, some Amiga (ouch) OCS production and also a newer AGA (ouch) production. I stopped my coding activities a bit because I became a father and I'm already self-employed as software developer, that means too much coding unfortunately.

Since I'm also interested in old synthesizers and samplers I'm now finishing my home studio and search for nice MIDI solutions. At the moment I learn to use Dr. T.'s KCS which is really a great software.

I got a FireBee and a STE to play around with. Atari is really a nice platform. And these Ataris are crafted way more robust than Amigas imho ;)
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

Welcome, i think you'll find several MIDI enthusiasts here. :)
rinaldo
Atariator
Atariator

Post by rinaldo »

See this wire now. I've introduced myself in another wire here. I seeking for atari ST former fidonet users. Maybe they are here to.
Atari hardware avaible, Fidonet programmer of Atari ST IOSMAIL, AREAFIX etc https://www.lampiesoft.nl
Kruyol
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Kruyol »

Hi all, just joined up as I found a link via Google for a software synth editor I have been after for a long time, getting all the old gear and computers out to get some old skool music production going again. I'm sure this forum is going to come in handy, I haven't fired up the ST for a good 20 years!
lackery
Atarian
Atarian

Post by lackery »

Hi. I've been reading these forums as a guest for some time and decided to become a member a few days ago. I've just discovered this topic which is the obvious starting point for any of us wishing to comment as we need to be approved. I agree with and accept that. Like many others on here I became an Atari in the late 80's but, controversially, I've never played a game on the platform (or any other). Not that I'm against games it is just not my thing. I used my Atari as a serious computer for music and business. I recently 'rescued' my machine from the loft and even though it had lain unloved and unused for many years it worked immediately it was switched on. As we need to have three approvals I shall continue this later.
lackery
Atarian
Atarian

Post by lackery »

To continue: I've been a practical musician all my life, player, arranger, conductor not composer. I got into music publishing in a small way in the mid eighties and was looking for some way to get professional looking printed music at an affordable price as, at that time, everything of ours was hand-written. My brother and I were in Music retail at this time and we visited the British Music Fair at Earl Court in London in 1988 where we saw a demo of Notator/Creator on an Atari Computer. This guy was playing a piano keyboard hooked up to the Atari and the notes he was playing were coming up on the monitor as proper music notation. We were blown away and consequently I bought my first Atari 520 STFm. Notator came a bit later as it wasn't cheap but I used it to arrange music for bands, orchestras, choirs and other groups with proper printed music output. It's funny but professional musicians are happy with hand-written music but amateurs play better from proper printed scores. That's not a criticism just a fact. I was also interested in DTP and got into Calamus, Caligrapher etc. I also have Atariworks, Timeworks, Imagecopy, Superbase Pro among many others and used NVDI, Warp 9 and all that stuff. I produced programmes, posters and flyers as well as newsletters all on this Atari now upgraded to 1040STe with 4 meg. I subscribed to the ST Club, Atariworld, Atariphile, ST Format, ST User and the ST Wrinklies Club. I ran the retail business on the Atari and have Accounts as well as loads of music stuff backed-up on Floppy Disks. I have several hundred floppies of DiskMags, Utilities, Fonts, Clipart etc.
Eventually, of course and sadly, we moved the business on to PC and I personally moved on to the Mac hence the reason why the Atari was banished to the loft. I hope the Mod will approve my posts but I'll come back to this a little later. I do have questions to ask and help to seek and I have seen that there is a lot of knowledgeable people in these forums.
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

Cool Atari bio, thanks for sharing those words and welcome!
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by calimero »

I really like to read All those stories about how we all get in touch with Atari computers... :)
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X
Ato
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Ato »

Good stuff @lackery. I love good “war stories”. Keep ‘em coming!
lackery
Atarian
Atarian

Post by lackery »

Thank you for your welcome. Ato I hope your reference to "war stories" was said with tongue in cheek. I would hate to think I was boring anybody. So we are in Covid induced lockdown. What to do with all this spare time? Rescue the old Atari of course. So what do I have? Atari 1040 STe, SM 124 monitor, 2 x System Solutions 127 Quantum hard drives with ICD Link. Loads of Software with manuals and Floppy Disks from a variety of sources. Connect everything up and switch on. Booted from the hard drive and up came the familiar green screen on the monitor. Too good to be true? Well the monitor wasn't in the best position so after switching everything off I re-arranged things. Switch back on monitor fails. Change fuse in external plug still nothing. Probably fuse inside but I'm not an electronics person. (I use computers as tools). So get an old monitor (not Atari) from eBay and converter cable from Cool Novelties and I'm up and running again. Switch on and have a session with Notator. I couldn't remember what to do! I've used Finale and Sibelius for so long I'd forgotten. Next time I switched on the hard disks gave up. The advice I received and read about was that it was just not worth the effort to try to revive them. These quantum drives are the size of house bricks - you can get so much more storage on a memory stick the size of your thumb nail. Anyway I had backed-up and moved anything worth while onto newer storage devices. The 1040 is still functioning well but with no hard disk using floppies is a pain. Remember all that "insert disk B into disk A" nonsense? So what do I want to do with all this stuff. Well I would really like to access the contents of the floppies on my current Mac mini with Catalina. I have NoSTalgia on an older Mac mini and have tried to get Hatari to work on my current set up but these need images of floppy disks and I have no way of creating these. I don't have a Windows PC. I have just received an Ultrasatan from Lotharek so maybe there is hope yet. That's my story for what it's worth. There are things like Parallels Desktop and VirtualBox which run divers OS's on a host system. Has anyone ever tried to get TOS to work in that manner? If we can run Linux and Windows on a Mac why not TOS?
vicomte
Atarian
Atarian

Post by vicomte »

hello, this is my .... 4th post. :D

long live Atari
Ato
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Ato »

@lackery. Yes, indeed, tongue in cheek. And you posted another one. Fantastic! I love reading what others do day to day with their Ataris.

Re HDD.
Yep, been there, too. I suppose that everybody here shares this experience.

So here's how I went about getting files from A (Atari) to B (Linux/Mac) to C (Falcon): First I used floppy disks. Boy, did that suck big time being used to some 250GB hard disk drive. Then I switched over to serial port. That was before any NetUSBee was 'n da house. I used minicom on the non-Atari system together with a USB-serial port adaptor and Fritz on the Ataris. Took ages for the data transfer but at some point everything was transmitted. Took like days not hours because my Megafile 30 (with a 66MB RLL drive replacement) was quite packed with stuff and the transmissions frequently crapped out. Nowadays I am just glad that I got a NetUSBee and an IDE-SD card interface for the Falcon (plus a ZIP drive but that does not count any more). But I'm also having eyes for a CosmosEx already. :P
lackery
Atarian
Atarian

Post by lackery »

@Ato. Thanks. I'm new to Atari-Forum and the more I see of it the more I realise others have already experienced my problems and set about solving them. Yes getting data and stuff from Atari to Mac is main problem but I now have Ultrasatan working and can copy and transfer by SD card. Once there, of course, I've got to be able to make use of it hence talk of emulation. Aranym looks more like the sort of thing I could use. My over-riding concern is that my faithful 1040 will pack up on me. Like Don Quixoté, why do we pursue lost causes when we have apps and prgs far more advanced today? Well Atari was my first computer, much loved and well used. It deserves to be respected and preserved. What those guys who produced the software managed to do in such limited space is truly remarkable.

Return to “News & Announcements”