Nova VME Bus Adapter Building Files ...

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

umberto1st
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Nova VME Bus Adapter Building Files ...

Post by umberto1st »

frank.lukas wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:53 am Yes ...

I send a PM
Hey Frank, I have one of the original nova cards that you produced, I read somewhere that it will not work with the mach32?
800, 2) 600XL, 2) 800XL, 1) 1200XL, 2) 130XE, 1) XEGS, 2) 1050,2) 810, 1) 850, 2) 1040 STFM's, 1) 4160 STE, 1) MEGA ST2,1)Mega ST4,1)Mega STE, 1) FALCON CT63+CTPCI+Radeon, 1)FALCON STOCK 14 MEG CF IDE, NEMESIS NOT INSTALLED, 1) 2600, 2)5200, 1) 7800. 5)JAGUAR's, 3) JAGUAR CD UNITS, CATBOX, SKUNKBOARD ECT. Lynx II, Lynx I..
MegaSTEarian

Post by MegaSTEarian »

I send a PM

Thanks Frank, replied. Looking for the cards to buy. Mach32 is really hard if not impossible to find.
I hope this will work https://www.ebay.de/itm/STB-Powergraph- ... 2749.l2649
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

umberto1st wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:30 am

I send a PM
Hey Frank, I have one of the original nova cards that you produced, I read somewhere that it will not work with the mach32?
The Adapter will work with ET4000AX, ET4000W32i, MACH32 and MACH64 and together with the Lightning VME.

There are a first version that works only with ET4000AX. Send me a picture ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

MegaSTEarian wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:40 am

I send a PM

Thanks Frank, replied. Looking for the cards to buy. Mach32 is really hard if not impossible to find.
90% of all ET4000 cards works well but not all. The Diamond Speedstar are not working ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE
MegaSTEarian

Post by MegaSTEarian »

frank.lukas wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:24 am
MegaSTEarian wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:40 am

I send a PM

90% of all ET4000 cards works well but not all. The Diamond Speedstar are not working ...
Is the one in the link a Diamond Speedstar?
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

MegaSTEarian wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:26 amIs the one in the link a Diamond Speedstar?
no ...
Diamond Speedstar VGA_forum.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MegaSTEarian

Post by MegaSTEarian »

Phew
leech
Atari God
Atari God

Post by leech »

The sad thing is, ISA boards have gone through the roof on ebay and such. Wonder how feasible it is to build a VME to PCI bridge for the same chipset cards? I would think the drivers would still work as I think they're the same chips? I mean when you can find PCI mach64s for 30 bucks and ISA ones are 700...
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

frank.lukas wrote: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:04 pm Changes …
novavme.png
Hi Frank,

Is this the latest version of the schematics?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

Yes but without the Lightning patches for the OFGA GAL. You can see the Patches onto the Lightning Website.
MegaSTEarian

Post by MegaSTEarian »

I have a question. Will I have to use two monitors if I want to check the boot sequence or is it being redirected through the adapter and the vga card?
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

emulator.prg should be the first in the auto folder so all display over the graphiccard.
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

joska wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:30 pm Is this the latest version of the schematics?
What would you do with it?
Einzelteile_klein.jpg
Platine_geklebt_klein.jpg
fertig_klein.jpg
vme_klein.jpg
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

That is almost exactly what I plan to do with it :)
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

MegaSTEarian wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:37 pm I have a question. Will I have to use two monitors if I want to check the boot sequence or is it being redirected through the adapter and the vga card?
Nothing is redirected through the graphics card, but there is emulator.prg (as Frank say) which sets up a monochrome resolution on the graphics card and change the TOS framebuffer address accordingly. This allows TOS to display a monochrome image on the graphics card without any other drivers. You would normally put this first in the auto-folder, but this means that you will see nothing until TOS starts running autofolder programs.

However, there are situations where you *don't* want to use the graphics card, e.g. when playing games or using other software that doesn't use GEM/VDI, so the second monitor is hard to avoid anyway.
Jo Even

DoG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by DoG »

I use a 2 port VGA switcher and one monitor.
czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by czietz »

joska wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:45 am Nothing is redirected through the graphics card, but there is emulator.prg (as Frank say) which sets up a monochrome resolution on the graphics card and change the TOS framebuffer address accordingly. This allows TOS to display a monochrome image on the graphics card without any other drivers. You would normally put this first in the auto-folder, but this means that you will see nothing until TOS starts running autofolder programs.
... unless, of course, one uses EmuTOS. EmuTOS already redirects its boot screen to the Nova graphics card. You can use EmuTOS (in 640x400x2) on the Nova with ET4000 or Mach32 without any autofolder programs. (Note that Nova VDI is still required for higher resolutions or color modes.)
MegaSTEarian

Post by MegaSTEarian »

joska wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:45 am
MegaSTEarian wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:37 pm I have a question. Will I have to use two monitors if I want to check the boot sequence or is it being redirected through the adapter and the vga card?
Nothing is redirected through the graphics card, but there is emulator.prg (as Frank say) which sets up a monochrome resolution on the graphics card and change the TOS framebuffer address accordingly. This allows TOS to display a monochrome image on the graphics card without any other drivers. You would normally put this first in the auto-folder, but this means that you will see nothing until TOS starts running autofolder programs.

However, there are situations where you *don't* want to use the graphics card, e.g. when playing games or using other software that doesn't use GEM/VDI, so the second monitor is hard to avoid anyway.

Well my thought was mainly for the POST sequence which is pre-TOS but, yeah, games is another case.
MegaSTEarian

Post by MegaSTEarian »

czietz wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:04 am
joska wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:45 am Nothing is redirected through the graphics card, but there is emulator.prg (as Frank say) which sets up a monochrome resolution on the graphics card and change the TOS framebuffer address accordingly. This allows TOS to display a monochrome image on the graphics card without any other drivers. You would normally put this first in the auto-folder, but this means that you will see nothing until TOS starts running autofolder programs.
... unless, of course, one uses EmuTOS. EmuTOS already redirects its boot screen to the Nova graphics card. You can use EmuTOS (in 640x400x2) on the Nova with ET4000 or Mach32 without any autofolder programs. (Note that Nova VDI is still required for higher resolutions or color modes.)

Still, I think that, this doesn’t give you the POST sequence (men test etc) through NOVA. Does it?
czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by czietz »

MegaSTEarian wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:12 pm Still, I think that, this doesn’t give you the POST sequence (men test etc) through NOVA. Does it?
EmuTOS does not have a visible memory test like Atari TOS with a slowly advancing progress bar etc. The first thing EmuTOS displays after boot is a (much more informative) boot screen which summarizes the hardware (incl. memory size) that was detected during POST. The EmuTOS boot screen is already shown on the Nova.

EDIT: Since you wrote "pre-TOS" in a post above, I wonder if there's a fundamental misconception. There is nothing before TOS. An Atari ST/STE/... is not like, e.g., a PC where there is a BIOS that loads the actual OS (such as MS-DOS) from disk. TOS (or EmuTOS when burnt into ROMs) starts the moment you switch on the Atari.
leech
Atari God
Atari God

Post by leech »

czietz wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:17 pm
MegaSTEarian wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:12 pm Still, I think that, this doesn’t give you the POST sequence (men test etc) through NOVA. Does it?
EmuTOS does not have a visible memory test like Atari TOS with a slowly advancing progress bar etc. The first thing EmuTOS displays after boot is a (much more informative) boot screen which summarizes the hardware (incl. memory size) that was detected during POST. The EmuTOS boot screen is already shown on the Nova.

EDIT: Since you wrote "pre-TOS" in a post above, I wonder if there's a fundamental misconception. There is nothing before TOS. An Atari ST/STE/... is not like, e.g., a PC where there is a BIOS that loads the actual OS (such as MS-DOS) from disk. TOS (or EmuTOS when burnt into ROMs) starts the moment you switch on the Atari.
Which is why TOS/GEM is so awesome. I guess you can say TOS sort of initializes the hardware than loads GEM/AES? (I'm not sure if that's technically true, which is why I put a ? there).

So I guess the real question is... where are the PCBs to mount these internally? I finally have a mach64 on the way!
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)
MegaSTEarian

Post by MegaSTEarian »

Swapped 68000 with an 68010 and when Nova NVDI starts I get 4 bombs. Is there some incompatibility or?
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

delete your newdesk.inf or use EmuTOS ...
MegaSTEarian

Post by MegaSTEarian »

Must something more to it. After newDesk renamed to .old I’m getting this
6342B6CB-D431-47DB-BBD1-D80BA1A30FBF.jpeg
Maybe it definitely needs emutos although ts 2.06 works with 68010.
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

TOS 2.06 without newdesk.inf must be fine ...

Return to “Professionals”