Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: - My "New" Atari TT and Upgrades -

Post by warp12 »

lp wrote:
warp12 wrote:I am crossing my fingers. I think I have both a 19 & 21" Viewsonic Professional packed away somewhere. I am going to be on the lookout for a nice monitor stand. I don't think I want to put any of these big monitors on top of the cpu...
My only recommendation would be to avoid a wide screen style monitor as they tend to be more blurry. I never sat the PTC1426 on top of my TT even though it had the matching base that fit the machine. Always had the monitor on a shelf.
I am going to try the CRT's that I have; they are 4:3. But the 22" weighs about 70 lbs!!!
Shane
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by lp »

warp12 wrote:I am going to try the CRT's that I have; they are 4:3. But the 22" weighs about 70 lbs!!!
I have an Atari TTM194 Moniterm monitor that someone gave me, but I don't know if it works and I have zero desire to even try it. I can easily duplicate that resolution on the video card. Probably not as paper white, but close enough to satisfy my curiosity. :)
tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by tenox »

Also if you want to run TT High on an LCD panel instead of TTM 19x you can use this: http://www.tenox.net/hw/tenoxvga/ ;)
warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by warp12 »

Testing the monitors, and it went well.

The TTM is very nice, as expected:

Quite honestly, I can't imagine what I will use it for, though!! A nice item to display, if not very useful??

The 19" Viewsonic seemed to center the screen up good enough:

I can't recall if my 22" CRT has dual inputs. If it does, that would probably be ideal for use with the setup that Tenox mentioned, in order to capture all "stock" resolutions on one monitor? It looks like that might require some sort of switcher?
Shane
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

warp12 wrote:The TTM is very nice, as expected:

Quite honestly, I can't imagine what I will use it for, though!! A nice item to display, if not very useful??
Looks fantastic :) The usefulness depends on the application I think. For my use (programming) it would be perfect.
warp12 wrote:I can't recall if my 22" CRT has dual inputs. If it does, that would probably be ideal for use with the setup that Tenox mentioned, in order to capture all "stock" resolutions on one monitor? It looks like that might require some sort of switcher?
You'd need some sort of switcher connected between the TT and the monitors/ECL adapter. http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20221
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by warp12 »

I might have time to open the machine up this weekend. I am sure I need to remove the little Atari stickers to get to some screws...but what about the big one in the middle? Hair dryer best to get them off?

I imagine there is a metal rf shield underneath. Secured by bendable metal tabs, or screws?? It has been about 20 years since I opened one of these...
Shane
warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by warp12 »

joska wrote: You'd need some sort of switcher connected between the TT and the monitors/ECL adapter. http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20221
Which language(s) do you program in, Joska?

Nice collection you have listed! I have decent vintage collection, most stored away, which includes 8-bits too. I have a few Amiga's, Maybe 4-5 ST(e)-series machines too, and this TT. :)
Shane
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by lp »

warp12 wrote:I might have time to open the machine up this weekend. I am sure I need to remove the little Atari stickers to get to some screws...but what about the big one in the middle? Hair dryer best to get them off?

I imagine there is a metal rf shield underneath. Secured by bendable metal tabs, or screws?? It has been about 20 years since I opened one of these...
Do not remove the large sticker in the middle, nothing under it! Only remove the two small oval ones. The one near the front is the one to the hard drive bay. Remove just that one screw and the HD bay flips up and out. The HD is mounted to the top and comes out with the cover.

It depends on the age of the TT. Early ones had metal shields, if it was screwed in place or bent tabs I don't know. The 3 machines I have are later models with a spray on shielded (redish) coating. If you want to get to the fast-ram you will have to remove all the screws to get the case top off. Lift it off carefully as the speaker wire often comes unplugged and you don't want to go into panic mode wondering where that was connected. If you would accidentally do that, there is a section on my TT web page showing how to reconnect the speak. Been there, done that. :lol:

Post by Guest »

dont remove the stickers
at all
just poke a hole in the indent then the screw hole is there
use the finger to find them the screws in ataris are not in the center sticker atall
you should preserve the info from before
when i repair a synth or any atari i add the service manual and what i did inside
much like any watch papers are added !!!
then the next guy knows whats been done
preserve the records :contract:
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

warp12 wrote:Which language(s) do you program in, Joska?
On the Atari it's C only.
warp12 wrote:Nice collection you have listed! I have decent vintage collection, most stored away, which includes 8-bits too. I have a few Amiga's, Maybe 4-5 ST(e)-series machines too, and this TT. :)
I regret selling my old TT. It had a graphics card and lots of RAM, should never have sold it.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by warp12 »

simbo2 wrote:dont remove the stickers
at all
just poke a hole in the indent then the screw hole is there
use the finger to find them the screws in ataris are not in the center sticker atall
you should preserve the info from before
when i repair a synth or any atari i add the service manual and what i did inside
much like any watch papers are added !!!
then the next guy knows whats been done
preserve the records :contract:

Very good idea! :)
Shane
warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by warp12 »

Just a minor update. My HD and spare arrived:

I was able to find specs for these drives on the internet, believe it or not:

This is probably the largest drive I have used with an Atari. I am interested to see how it performs. The drives already have the hddriver software installed on them, I believe. Is that the best HD software currently available? I now have all of the hardware upgrades currently planned, so it won't be too long before I install them. Seems like I might have the flu right now, so it could be just a little while.
Shane
warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by warp12 »

Another question...what are the best mouse options for a TT?
Shane
tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by tenox »

This:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111077709212

There also are several different PS/2 mouse adapters, for instance:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181348270938

This guy has an USB mouse adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120784673053
warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by warp12 »

tenox wrote:This:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111077709212

There also are several different PS/2 mouse adapters, for instance:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181348270938

This guy has an USB mouse adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120784673053
Thanks for the leads!
Shane
warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by warp12 »

First, the good news:

Ram installed!

Now the bad...my new HD is not recognized. I tried both. They power up, but do not boot. They were supposed to have HDDRIVER installed already. Is there a jumper I need to change? If not, I suspect the driver software is not installed??

My old drive has the Atari driver on it, but I have no disk. Is there any way I get this new drive going, assuming the hardware is ok??

One word: FRUSTRATED.
Shane
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by lp »

Before you get to frustrated. Go to the HD Driver web site, get the demo and create floppy with the demo that will boot. HD Driver will read almost anything. If it comes up after the floppy boots, then you can inspect whats on the hard drive. If there is an *.SYS file in the root, its likely the hard disk driver.
warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by warp12 »

lp wrote:Before you get to frustrated. Go to the HD Driver web site, get the demo and create floppy with the demo that will boot. HD Driver will read almost anything. If it comes up after the floppy boots, then you can inspect whats on the hard drive. If there is an *.SYS file in the root, its likely the hard disk driver.
I will have to find a PC with a floppy to do that, lol. :)

One other thing I managed to miss. Where does the HD activity light get connected? I forgot where I removed the connector...

Thanks!
Shane
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

Look at the NVRAM Settings !

Config Program from the Uwe Seimet Webpage ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE
warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by warp12 »

frank.lukas wrote:Look at the NVRAM Settings !

Config Program from the Uwe Seimet Webpage ...
I'm sorry to say, I have no idea what that means...
Shane
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by lp »

warp12 wrote:One other thing I managed to miss. Where does the HD activity light get connected? I forgot where I removed the connector...
That depends on the hard drive, should be noted with the other jumper settings I would think. The LED plugs on the HD somewhere.

He means get this: http://www.seimet.de/atari/files/bootc201.zip

Make sure the boot type is correct.
warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by warp12 »

lp wrote:
warp12 wrote:One other thing I managed to miss. Where does the HD activity light get connected? I forgot where I removed the connector...
That depends on the hard drive, should be noted with the other jumper settings I would think.

He means get this: http://www.seimet.de/atari/files/bootc201.zip

Make sure the boot type is correct.
Definitely frustrated now, lol....forgot all about the user-hostile environments of the old days!

Looks like stock HD until I get a USB floppy for my PC. In my defense, the new drives were supposed to be ready to install, without issue. I am sure I have missed something....I'll report back. Thanks for all of the help, guys.
Last edited by warp12 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shane
helmut
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by helmut »

warp12 wrote:Another question...what are the best mouse options for a TT?
In one TT I use a serial mouse which needs a special driver:

http://storage.atari-source.org/atari/m ... 26beta.lzh

Works very well depending on the actual mouse you got.

-Helmut
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by lp »

warp12 wrote:Definitely frustrated now, lol....forgot all about the user-hostile environments of the old days!

Looks like stock HD until I get a USB floppy for my PC. In my defense, the new drive were supposed to be ready to install, without issue. I am sure I have missed something....I'll report back. Thanks for all of the help, guys.
Maybe the dealer set the SCSI ID to something other than 0 and connected them to a system as a 2nd drive in order to speed up the setup time and forgot to put the ID back to 0? It must also be terminated if its going to be the internal drive.
warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by warp12 »

lp wrote:
warp12 wrote:Definitely frustrated now, lol....forgot all about the user-hostile environments of the old days!

Looks like stock HD until I get a USB floppy for my PC. In my defense, the new drive were supposed to be ready to install, without issue. I am sure I have missed something....I'll report back. Thanks for all of the help, guys.
Maybe the dealer set the SCSI ID to something other than 0 and connected them to a system as a 2nd drive in order to speed up the setup time and forgot to put the ID back to 0? It must also be terminated if its going to be the internal drive.
As you might imagine...I don't recall what "terminated" means. The stock Seagate boots without a jumper installed.
Shane

Return to “Professionals”