Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

erkster
Atariator
Atariator

My TT finally arrived...

Post by erkster »

Hi guys,

Well I was lucky enough to grab a TT from ebay for about £20 a few weeks ago, listed on the Belgian site, apparently it had spent its life in a lab being used for testing, and it arrived this morning.

It has 2mb ST RAM and 4mb TT Ram with a 50mb HDD and a DD Floppy installed running TOS 3.01 (German) - (Simbo has sent me some UK 3.06 ROMs but they haven't arrived yet).

Now this is my first venture into the world of the TT, although I have had a Mega STE for a few years, so the first thing I did was whip it's clothes off and have a look underneath.

Apologies for the crappy camera phone pics btw...

Before the stripping!
IMG_0076.jpg
Seals still intact!
IMG_0072.jpg
VME card installed, anybody have any ideas what this one is?
IMG_0074.jpg
Slight damage to rear of case, by fan :(
IMG_0075.jpg
How much shielding!? From this I gather it is a very early version:
IMG_0081.jpg
The 4mb TT RAM, soldered to the daughterboard:
IMG_0082.jpg
The 68030 is installed on a daughter board:
IMG_0088.jpg
Now I have run Profile 2, and it reports this running at 73 MHZ (9.12 times), and if I pull this daughterboard and stick in a 68030 from my A1200 accelerator board Profile reports it running at 37 MHZ, now I always thought that the TT only ran at 32 MHZ, and this appears to be a factory installed board (seals intact etc.) could this be a special BTO?

All that remains for me to do now is install a CF adapter and remove this noisy SCSI drive and give it a good clean. Anybody got any recommendations on any upgrades etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Atari Mega STe - 4mb RAM, HD FDD, 40mb Internal HDD, FPU
Atari TT030 - TOS 3.06 (UK), 4MB ST RAM, 4MB TT RAM, 2GB CF, HD FDD
erkster
Atariator
Atariator

Re: My TT finally arrived...

Post by erkster »

Here are the profile 2 results:

Firstly, with just a plain '030:
IMG_0098.jpg
Results:
IMG_0099.jpg
Now with the Daughterboard back in place:
IMG_0100.jpg
Results:
IMG_0101.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Klapauzius
The Klaz
The Klaz

Post by Klapauzius »

erkster wrote:Now I have run Profile 2, and it reports this running at 73 MHZ (9.12 times), and if I pull this daughterboard and stick in a 68030 from my A1200 accelerator board Profile reports it running at 37 MHZ, now I always thought that the TT only ran at 32 MHZ, and this appears to be a factory installed board (seals intact etc.) could this be a special BTO?
Well, I might be wrong, but reference for CPU speed is a 8MHz 68000 CPU.
Depending on how the tests are performed and whether the 68030's CPU caches are used in the tests, it could be expected that results don't reflect the actual CPU speed.
http://www.klapauzius.net
http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/klaz

The tears are welling in my eyes again, I need twenty big buckets to catch them in, twenty pretty girls to carry them down, twenty deep holes to bury them in.
erkster
Atariator
Atariator

Post by erkster »

That was why I ripped out the board and use an 030 that I know the speed of on its own, so I am at odds here...

coze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by coze »

the speed rating on the CPU is irrelevant. It will run in whatever frequency you supply it with (if it can).

you should check that CPU daughter board for a crystal. I think there's a very good chance you have an accelerator like cattamaran (probably 40 or 50 MHz).

you're one lucky ... to score that baby for 20 UKP ! I paid twice for mine, which came sans the VME and CPU daughter board (but I had 4 mb ST and 32 mb TT RAM)

your pics are very blurry btw. you've damn shakey hands ! (or crappy camera)
erkster
Atariator
Atariator

Post by erkster »

coze wrote:the speed rating on the CPU is irrelevant. It will run in whatever frequency you supply it with (if it can).

you should check that CPU daughter board for a crystal. I think there's a very good chance you have an accelerator like cattamaran (probably 40 or 50 MHz).

you're one lucky ... to score that baby for 20 UKP ! I paid twice for mine, which came sans the VME and CPU daughter board (but I had 4 mb ST and 32 mb TT RAM)

your pics are very blurry btw. you've damn shakey hands ! (or crappy camera)
:D One damned crappy camera unfortunately, went to use the wifes Canon and the battery is dead and cannot find the charger anywhere :roll:

I will change the pics (if I can) once the charger has been found.

As for the CPU, the barebones one is rated at 40MHZ and that is what it runs on the Amiga at. The One on the Daughterboard has a lead that connects to the crystal beneath the VME board.

Now I have to source an ST Ram upgrade board and perhaps get a new TT Ram board to increase the memory more, I know I dont need to ;)

dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by dexterslab »

looks great there erkster, certainly an early example with the 32mhz daughterboard, my other older TT is the next revision up from that where it still had tons of shielding and a PGA cpu but without the daughterboard.

I'd suggest as you've found no other extras in there other than the VME card it will be running at 32mhz, especially as you mention the seals were intact. I've never used profile2 but i'd take that mhz rating with a pinch of salt. Chances are it's the differences in fastram speed and caches could well be making it seem faster than it actually is.

Check the FDD controller, my early tt came with a DD disk drive too but allready had the HD ajax FDD controller, so meant i only needed to swap the drive to use HD floppies.

As for the VME, those black sockets look like toslink optical audio ports. IIRC there was an audio dsp VME board available, maybe this is one? Just remove the two screws and it will pull out, just have a look at the big ICs and you should be able to tell what the card is for.
erkster
Atariator
Atariator

Post by erkster »

Thanks for the info there Dexter, I checked the controller chip and it is the older one, so I will need to upgrade that along with the FDD.

As for the VME board, yes there are 2 TOS links on it and the board has Equtol v1.01 printed on it.

The 2 large IC's are printed:

L1A4479
Dymec
C/T5024
TAA8947

There are also a row of 7 rectangular packages marked as:
35701210 031
Günther

(these line up behind the D port)

Hope from those details someone can help me find out what this VME board is for.

I felt so dirty breaking those seals as well :D

[ProToS]

Post by [ProToS] »

I think this vme board was made by this german firm in the past (EQUTOL GbR)
http://www.hs-gmbh.de/Softwaree.htm
for "GPC programs" as I could read
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook
dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by dexterslab »

[ProToS] wrote:I think this vme board was made by this german firm in the past (EQUTOL GbR)
http://www.hs-gmbh.de/Softwaree.htm
for "GPC programs" as I could read
glol, i read the whole site and i still have no idea what it is! :oops:
erkster
Atariator
Atariator

Post by erkster »

That makes 2 of us then Dex, something to do with measuring liquid viscosity :?:

SO, pretty useless :lol:

Now where can I fins a VME graphics adapter?

dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by dexterslab »

ahh, they do hardware for AD conversion too, 24bit remote aquisition modules that connect via fiber optic cable to an interface

probably means that the board is more ornamental than functional
dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by dexterslab »

erkster wrote:Now where can I fins a VME graphics adapter?
hmm well there's enough about... the problem is getting someone to part with one! :lol:
[ProToS]

Post by [ProToS] »

if the hard drive still have the software perhaps he could see what this vme
board could do.
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by christos »

Just from a general experience with that short of equipment, this is just the 1/2 of a measuring device. The 15-pin port on the vme is probably a serial control connection for the experiment device, while the other two connections are probably for the data acquisition. Really cool piece of h/w that could very well be used today. Of course a windows pc for the same job is much more practical since you can get the data in a more familiar format for later processing but still you could do the same stuff on the atari. Basically if someone had setup some kind of network connection for the machine there might not have been a need to switch.
Lovely find!
artik-wroc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by artik-wroc »

Dump TOS 3.01 file if you can and send it to me
erkster wrote:That makes 2 of us then Dex, something to do with measuring liquid viscosity :?:
Take some nice picture of the card. I will put on the ataritt030.info site, in the end, it is rarely seen to extend to TT.

P.S. If you want to get rid of it, I would buy :D
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

erkster wrote: Now I have run Profile 2, and it reports this running at 73 MHZ (9.12 times), and if I pull this daughterboard and stick in a 68030 from my A1200 accelerator board Profile reports it running at 37 MHZ, now I always thought that the TT only ran at 32 MHZ, and this appears to be a factory installed board (seals intact etc.) could this be a special BTO?
Does it say Cattamaran on it?
That's the only speeder I know for TT.
erkster wrote: All that remains for me to do now is install a CF adapter and remove this noisy SCSI drive and give it a good clean. Anybody got any recommendations on any upgrades etc.
There's some info on this in this forum, which both dexterslab & me did last year.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Use Gembench.
There are some benchmark on this forum with that benchmark program.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
artik-wroc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by artik-wroc »

erkster wrote: Now I have run Profile 2, and it reports this running at 73 MHZ (9.12 times)...
This is only a comparison with the Motorola 68000 processor and has nothing to do with the actual speed
erkster wrote: All that remains for me to do now is install a CF adapter and remove this noisy SCSI drive and give it a good clean. Anybody got any recommendations on any upgrades etc.
I use the Yamaha V769970 SCSI-IDE adapter. I have a Seagate CF 5GB. It works very well.
erkster
Atariator
Atariator

Post by erkster »

artik-wroc wrote:Dump TOS 3.01 file if you can and send it to me
erkster wrote:That makes 2 of us then Dex, something to do with measuring liquid viscosity :?:
Take some nice picture of the card. I will put on the ataritt030.info site, in the end, it is rarely seen to extend to TT.

P.S. If you want to get rid of it, I would buy :D
Hi Artik, I will dump the ROMs in the next few days and send them to you, where do I find your email address?

I will also get much better pictures taken of the VME board.

erkster
Atariator
Atariator

Post by erkster »

wongck wrote:
erkster wrote: Now I have run Profile 2, and it reports this running at 73 MHZ (9.12 times), and if I pull this daughterboard and stick in a 68030 from my A1200 accelerator board Profile reports it running at 37 MHZ, now I always thought that the TT only ran at 32 MHZ, and this appears to be a factory installed board (seals intact etc.) could this be a special BTO?
Does it say Cattamaran on it?
That's the only speeder I know for TT.
There's some info on this in this forum, which both dexterslab & me did last year.
Cheers Wongck for the info. As for the daughterboard, it just appears to be the original Atari installed one - but I will run GemBench and see what that has to say for itself.

Out of interest, anybody know why the 030 is on a daughterboard? As when I pulled it and plugged in another 030 it ran just fine.

dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by dexterslab »

erkster wrote:Out of interest, anybody know why the 030 is on a daughterboard? As when I pulled it and plugged in another 030 it ran just fine
atari's cockup basically. TT was originally 16mhz, but late in the dev process they decided to make it 32, so they used the daughterboard to run the cpu at 32 leaving the bus at 16. Later models had everything integrated onto the motherboard. There's a couple of pics of the later designs on my website (link in sig).

so if you just plug an 030 into the motherboard socket it will just run at 16mhz
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

dexterslab wrote:
so if you just plug an 030 into the motherboard socket it will just run at 16mhz
Erkster, test also Gembench with the 030 in the mobo without the daughterboard.
erkster
Atariator
Atariator

Post by erkster »

Will do guys...

Where will I find Gem Bench out of interest :oops:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Return to “Professionals”