Mint Xaes naes

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Mint Xaes naes

Post by wongck »

TTowner wrote:Hey my manner may be a little off in your oppinion. Bu not all of us are as ohfae about something unknown. If my words have offended anyone then it was and is NOT my intention.
Everybody has their own pace of learning and mine unfortunately is slower than yours. My methods differ to others, so please don't take offence.So I'm sceptical and perhaps a bit slow to grasp things. Do you have a problem with me with that?

Everybody has to learn and not everybody learns at the same speed.
I guess everyone expects you to try it before lambasting someone else.
May be my suggesting of using Huggy bear version was wrong... they (aranym team) have change it to not work like it used to be.
But someone else had to tell you that.
If you have said "you tw**t that Afros thing cannot work on TT" then it showed you tried it and got nowhere.

Is making Mint without the Unix-style stuff so difficult? No, you just need to unzip that Mint archive from Sparemint (or elsewhere).
Then you can run clock.app & lines.app and see that multitasking on your Atari. :wink:

When I have time, may be I will just write a simple how-to on my webpage.... :wink:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

christos wrote:
joska wrote:
TTowner wrote:I am a little paranoid about mint. I just can't seem to accept that when installed it is fully opperational. Maybe it is. Never having seen a mint setup actually working so I don't know if the setup I have ran is fully working. On a side note. I don't care about any one elses supposed personal data, just that I have a fully configured MINT installation...
To be able to see mint do what I think it can would be a start.Bit of a misnoma really as I haven't a clue exactly what it WILL do. You know, I have nevever seen it do anything other than cause troubble in my head.
So basically you don't believe that MiNT is actually working until you see it with your own eyes? Sorry, but I can't help you there.
Well I think I can help there...

This is MiNT working:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJANuSJI7nQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpdmbxWBVTY
Now thats what I am aiming for. Thank you for this. More....More.
For those that have acheived this I am envious. For those who don't want to. That's fine.
I would like to get my atart TT & its hardware ,to this standard.
1 Hades060 & 3 TT030 machines.Nova & Spektrum Graphics cards,1 Reibel network card,Slm Lazer printer, Epson GT600 flatbed, 1 SCSi to IDE interface + UltraSatan. Nakamachi 7 & 5 CD disk changers. 1 Mega STE.
dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by dexterslab »

@TTowner

what part of installing mint are you having an issue with?

i recall i had a few moments of confusion before i setup mine... like locations of the tar files, setting up the ext2 partition etc
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

TTowner wrote: Now thats what I am aiming for. Thank you for this. More....More.
For those that have acheived this I am envious. For those who don't want to. That's fine.
I would like to get my atart TT & its hardware ,to this standard.
:lol: TT should be able to do all those, with your high-end graphic card there no problem to get to higher rez and more colour.
Like with my Nova card, my TT rez & colour capabilty outstrip my CT63 Falc for now. 8O
I sure enjoyed the rez/colour using LINK while cruising on the net.
(but now I have to suss out wtf is happening to my TT!).
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

The part of mint that causes me and some others most issues; is configuring the full on Mint package and using the AES cfg files. Just having the basic mint is not enough.

The fact that mint will install is not by any means the be all and end all of the setup. Simply saying that mint is installed does not necessarily mean that it is all installed, nor configured correctly. Being a multifaceted application there are things that do and do not need to be installed depending on an indivuduals need and equipment.
That is where it becomes challenging. What's needed in my oppinion is a hand to get a setup configured with the view to following it through to a Aranym or linux install and beyond.
I have had a version on mint running true, but at best it crashed and as for any AES, well As dexter said, when trying to work the config for any such software there seemed to be problems. Mine in particular is that there are several config files to adjust in order to get a working stable system.
I am positive that it should work, but making it resemble the Utube video's here is something of an illusion and mystery to most which is why less and less people want to try to install anything other than games or Magix.

A basic mint setup, can be functional and perhaps passing that install knowledge is often limited by someone saying. "I installed mint from the package and it works fine". Simply does not mean that the install has all its possible components !
Same idea as installing NVDI, Anyone can do it, BUT, is its capacity fully exploited? Can you see all the fons available, can you use them in all manner of programs and indeed the desktop?

For those that care less about what such an intuative piece of software can do, and would not bother to push its limits. You are the wrong sort of people to give advice on a full on Mint install. Your input has its uses to like minded people. But I personally want more out of mint and an AES!
In my efforts to support the Atari and my personal collection, I have aquired many things hardware and software. I am constantly looking for and find many things to read about regarding all types of topics. Mint included. Now, here is the confusion I seem to have. I start at the basic mint install. I get that installed. I then add the next version. Of course, the versions are inherantly old as is. But I persist. One thing I noticed over time was that there are no real step by step explanations of what all its components do and why they should be installed.
As well as if they are still included or missed out or updated on newer versions. I know I will be corrected on this point, but then by its very nature of click and forget, it leaves people with little or no help whilst installing the software. The packages are indeed by nature a click and forget for things like easy mint & generalised minimalistic installs are not neccessarily click and forget As other components have to be copied to relevant folders..

Which is why people turn to other users for assistance.
With information on doing the install; scattered all around the internet, it becomes a nightmare as to know what to install and why or even if it should be!

Some information shared here of various specific system configs,install routines used to obtain the best out of Mint would therefore prove invaluable.
Last edited by TTowner on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 Hades060 & 3 TT030 machines.Nova & Spektrum Graphics cards,1 Reibel network card,Slm Lazer printer, Epson GT600 flatbed, 1 SCSi to IDE interface + UltraSatan. Nakamachi 7 & 5 CD disk changers. 1 Mega STE.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

TTowner wrote:The part of mint that causes me and some others most issues; is configuring the full on Mint package and using the AES cfg files. Just having the basic mint is not enough.
It's called EasyMiNT.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

TTowner wrote:The part of mint that causes me and some others most issues; is configuring the full on Mint package and using the AES cfg files. Just having the basic mint is not enough.
<snip><snip>
Long post, I hate long post.

Basic Mint? What is basic Mint ??
When I had my 1st Mint package from Atari back in mid 90s, it was just multiTos (Gemdos with Mint) with a "not so good" desktop as the AES was in the ROM, but able to run some programs concurrently. 8)
Is that a basic Mint system? No Minix (yes, that's the fs to use back then), no ext2fs (of course), no bash, no ls, no cd, no nothing.
So that is not a basic Mint. It is Mint.
When you copy over the Mint package, that's what you get. A multitasking system... without Unix-like extensions.
(it's there, just hidden under the hood :wink: ).

So it's just the Unix extension you are missing? :?:
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

TTowner wrote:That is where it becomes challenging. What's needed in my oppinion is a hand to get a setup configured with the view to following it through to a Aranym or linux install and beyond.
why lucky you..... if that's the case, just grab a Unix book and start from chapter 1. :thumbs:
Because the knowing Unix stuff, the interprocesses in Unix, the programs available in Unix, the filestructure and the commands will definately propel you forward.
Mint is basically using unix interprocesses stuff, some of unix filesystem (that's ext2fs :wink: ), Unix filestructures, unix shell (sh, bash, ksh etc) and of course Unix programs (those that are ported to Mint anyway).
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

TTowner wrote:With information on doing the install; scattered all around the internet, it becomes a nightmare as to know what to install and why or even if it should be!
Some information shared here of various specific system configs,install routines used to obtain the best out of Mint would therefore prove invaluable.
Take matters into your own hands! :thumbs:
Create a Mint launch pad, where all the information you found scattered in the world can be found in at your Mint launchpad.
That would surely give back to the community :cheers:
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

TTowner wrote:Same idea as installing NVDI, Anyone can do it, BUT, is its capacity fully exploited? Can you see all the fons available, can you use them in all manner of programs and indeed the desktop?
:lol: So you doubt the installer.
Mine when OK, I can see all the fonts and can use it in programs that cares to use the fonts,as well as the desktop.

May be you been betrayed by some Windoze installer that "kills" other programs that overwrite critical dll or whatever you have now on win7. :lol: :lol:
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

TTowner wrote:I have had a version on mint running true, but at best it crashed and as for any AES, well As dexter said, when trying to work the config for any such software there seemed to be problems. Mine in particular is that there are several config files to adjust in order to get a working stable system.
Mint normally will catch problem programs. Sometime it goes so bad that it kills the OS. My only experience with this is the Pure Debugger crashes Mint, probably because it was written to work on TOS and it captures and traps TOS calls to do it task. So it probably did not understand Mint, whereby casuing it to crash.
:mrgreen:
Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Desty »

wongck wrote:
TTowner wrote:With information on doing the install; scattered all around the internet, it becomes a nightmare as to know what to install and why or even if it should be!
Take matters into your own hands! :thumbs:
Create a Mint launch pad, where all the information you found scattered in the world can be found in at your Mint launchpad.
That would surely give back to the community :cheers:
Yes, good idea - create the thing that you've noticed is missing! Turn that problem into an opportunity to help other new Mintees :D
If a site is too much trouble, maybe we can start/expand a Mint section in the atari-forum wiki (which should be a bit more visible than it currently is).
tá'n poc ar buile!
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

I agree with the idea about a more frontline appearance to Mint. There are plenty of users who perhaps have put off using Mint simply because it is a piece of software that came along nearly at the end of the Shelf life of the Atari.

It is also a piece of software that again has had coverage, but for the most part as previously mentioned, it was something that only a few individuals really took an interest in.

The suggestion that someone should take up a position of posting mint articles sounds to me that if it were done, then more and more people may take an interest in taking the next step, that of, connecting to the internet with their owm machine.

To place regular information on a post would not be so hard would it?
There would have to be some standard structure to adhere to. Page 1: What to have as equipment.
2: What software to source. And so on.

There would be no use if everyone pitched in with random comments as this would lead to further confusion and a digression of the initial goal.
So.... First job realy i think is to ascertain the interest in such an idea.

Then to recruit a team to work the information and post the most relvant parts of the text.
A techi department LOL!

Who would like to get involved? PM is perhaps the simplest idea.Until enough knowledgeable people are found.

To start you all off. I am prepared to corelate information and try to make it flow.

I am up for contributing. Anyone else?
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

Random posting of information Will cause more confusion and just make matters incoherant.. I think a correlated concise txt should be the way to go. Sent to one individual or more in a team to sift through may take some time but a definitive guide would result.

Got to be a good idea. Eh?
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by christos »

Why is there a need to make things more difficult? Things are plain and simple.

You need to have a copy of HDDriver or any other driver that supports LNX partitions.

You partition your drive anyway you want with at least one normal TOS (GEM or BGM) partition and at least one LNX partition (make sure you have at least 100MB's free on the TOS partition and about 500MB;s on the LNX).
You download easymint on the TOS partition and double click on the easymint.prg
Then you follow the instructions.
It is that simple!
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

I don't want to make things difficult at all. I mearly wish to make things accessable for all potential users.
For instance... Has anyone succeded in installing the full package on a Hades?

Those who would comment that there are few people with a hades, I know! But nevertheless, I am sure those who have not installed mint on a hades have no idea how to.
shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Post by shoggoth »

TTowner wrote:I don't want to make things difficult at all. I mearly wish to make things accessable for all potential users.
For instance... Has anyone succeded in installing the full package on a Hades?
Yep. It works right out of the box. You install it, reboot, and there it is. Even a rakoon can do it.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

shoggoth wrote: Even a rakoon can do it.

that's really mean... :lol:
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

I agree its mean. I had a reply saying that it does work out of the box. But included in the reply was also a comment" but I haven't bothered to install Xaees", surely this then does not qualify as realistic when installing something with ALL its available components has not been carried out!
To add.

I have read as much info as I can possibly digest on installing Mint with a graphical Desk replacement.
I have had mint working !!!!!
I do know it is SIMPLE to follow a one click install.
I also know that it still has to be configured to some extent once installed.
I also know that each installation has passed to the end on many occasions.
I know also that machine configuration affects what & how things affect the ensuing install of mint.

A blank no software on drive install is truly the one click install
Existing programs in the auto folder and desk acc's, the right partition format; which if any AES to incorporate, ALL affect the outcome of a 1 click install.
Through replies on the posts I made, I have gained further insight into what can be done. Those Productive comments are well appreciated and are actioned on.
Thanks for All your decent proper constructive help.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

TTowner wrote:I agree its mean. ...
he refers to someone else, not you.... :roll:
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

TTowner wrote:Existing programs in the auto folder and desk acc's, the right partition format; which if any AES to incorporate, ALL affect the outcome of a 1 click install.
Would you like what MS does when it is installing your Windows.... that's reformating your entire HDD to remove all existing programs?
(OK, so there is a mode that allows you to keep existing HDD partitions, but that will NOT always work... ).

I would rather understand what data/application it writes to my HDD. A single click may be dangerous if you don't know what's happening.
May be good for noobe :wink:
That's why I prefer installing manually, it's gives you more control over what you want.
Still gives me all that nice Unix stuff plus network plus FAT32 plus ext2FS plus rpm ....
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

wongck wrote:
TTowner wrote:Existing programs in the auto folder and desk acc's, the right partition format; which if any AES to incorporate, ALL affect the outcome of a 1 click install.
Would you like what MS does when it is installing your Windows.... that's reformating your entire HDD to remove all existing programs?
Windows? "One click install"? I'm sure I clicked a lot more than that the last time I installed XP :)
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

joska wrote: Windows? "One click install"? I'm sure I clicked a lot more than that the last time I installed XP :)
You are so correct.... IIRC, there's even a chance to use the keyboard :lol:
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

From another post....Well yeah I am patiently waiting for the NETUS-Bee variant Hydra by djbase to be completed, and then I can buy one and start enjoying network access! I'll probably needs a lot of assistance in setting it all up, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. If this project does not come to be for whatever reason, I will contact alanh and see if he is still producing his network card project.

I think this goes someway to proving my point about mint is never simple....... * I'll probably needs a lot of assistance in setting it all up, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. *
Wouldn't it be nice to have a simplified in depth set of instructions to follow?
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

TTowner wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to have a simplified in depth set of instructions to follow?
But the instructions are always documented, but normally people do not read it fully. Just skip to the parts they think will help, and miss out all the in betweens that will increase the knowledge of the subject.

Return to “Professionals”