Mint Xaes naes

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Mint Xaes naes

Post by dexterslab »

think the problem with the atari world is everything is written by different people on different configurations so need slightly different instructions

like myself and TTowner, both with ET4000 cards... but his drivers, install method and config are completly different. Anything i do would be of no help to him and vice versa.

I guess it's something we just have to deal with, but its flustrating when you sit down to do something and you find you have to learn how to config 2 other bits of software before you can even start on what you wanted to do in the first place!

It does help you learn how it all works though, i understand a lot more about mint than i did before my xaaes problems.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

dexterslab wrote:like myself and TTowner, both with ET4000 cards... but his drivers, install method and config are completly different. Anything i do would be of no help to him and vice versa.
I don't really understand how can a hardware be installed differently on the same class of machine.
I mean I install MiNT the same way I installed it on my 520STFM, the same way on my Falcon, the same way on my TT and finally the same way on Aranym.
(OK, so Aramyn is already comes with MINT.... :mrgreen: but I totally understood the installation).
And that from 520STFM back nearly 15 years ago.
OK, there was a change somewhere in v1.16 where the folders versioning begin (which was a cool way).
Even with my TT Nova card.... no issues.
Also my SCSILink ethernet is shared between the Falcon & TT, no issues in installing the software on both machines.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Ok... must be luck... I guess
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Post by shoggoth »

TTowner,

You have a few options to consider:
1. Install EasyMiNT. You get a full blown unix distro. Extremely powerful, and the installation program *is* easy to follow.
2. Use a copy of AFROS and replace kernel/xaaes binaries with 030 versions.
3. Use MiKRO's uMiNT distribution (it has to be modified though, since it expects a 060 and an ethernat)
4. Install the mint kernel and the XaAES binaries manually.

None of these options are difficult, provided that you do your part:
1. Read the documentation.
2. Attempt an installation.
3. If that fails, read the documentation.
4. If that does not help, read it again.
5. If it still fails, consult people on the forum.
6. If it still fails, try a different approach (go back to 1)

There are a few golden rules when it comes to
1. Get rid of funky system patches/utilites from 1990. Your autofolder should only contain the necessities to boot the system.
2. Get rid of funky accessories from 1990. XControl is ok.
3. Get rid of funky CPX:s from 1990. Only install the bare necessities.
4. NVDI and/or fVDI might be required when using XaAES. I haven't had any luck without it.
5. Some applications will not work with mint. Some will only work with memory protection disabled. Personally I choose to treat incompatible applications like garbage and stopped using them. That makes life a lot easier, since the alternative means you can't trust your system any longer.

A few screenshots from my old desktop (Falcon and Hades):
http://hem.passagen.se/shoggoth/stuff/snap_000.gif
http://hem.passagen.se/shoggoth/stuff/snap_001.gif
http://hem.passagen.se/shoggoth/stuff/snap_002.gif

I started from scratch. I knew nothing about unix or even about mint for that matter. I installed EasyMiNT, and it *did* work right out of the box. It wasn't pretty, I didn't like the desktop, I didn't understand the command line etc. But by reading the available documentation and unix tutorial I found online, I ended up with an extremely powerful setup which has virtually opened up a whole new world for me. But that would never have happened if I just unzipped someone elses ZIP-file and rebooted my system.

Like I said, you need to do your part. We're on a small platform with very limited developer resources at hand. Developers tend to focus on getting things done, not on documentation or nice installation programs. EasyMiNT is an exception - it's not flawless - but it's bloody amazing if you give it a chance.

Now, you've been given some good advice in this thread. Your response to that advice hasn't necessarily been very nice. Listen to what people have to say. Try it. Also note that if you receive contradictory advice from different people, that doesn't necessarily mean that one of them is wrong.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.
dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by dexterslab »

wongck wrote:
dexterslab wrote:like myself and TTowner, both with ET4000 cards... but his drivers, install method and config are completly different. Anything i do would be of no help to him and vice versa.
I don't really understand how can a hardware be installed differently on the same class of machine.
I mean I install MiNT the same way I installed it on my 520STFM, the same way on my Falcon, the same way on my TT and finally the same way on Aranym.
(OK, so Aramyn is already comes with MINT.... :mrgreen: but I totally understood the installation).
And that from 520STFM back nearly 15 years ago.
OK, there was a change somewhere in v1.16 where the folders versioning begin (which was a cool way).
Even with my TT Nova card.... no issues.
Also my SCSILink ethernet is shared between the Falcon & TT, no issues in installing the software on both machines.
well i was meaning the install of the video drivers, easymint is pretty much the same whatever you do

i videoed installing easymint last night, but it's too long for youtube, was only 15 mins from starting :roll:
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by christos »

You could cut it in half and upload it as part 1 and 2. It should be interesting to see.
dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by dexterslab »

christos wrote:You could cut it in half and upload it as part 1 and 2. It should be interesting to see.
actually, i'm going to video it again and then edit it

i think i'm going to make a few, using/installing HDDRIVER, ICD PRO, NVDI (inc ET4000) and i also have a TT keyboard i can repair. These would all make good videos
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

is that using a tripod to hold the camera shooting at the screen?? :?:
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

One part of the install for mint that bothers most people yet they have not wrote about it is the fact that this is relevant to all installations.

"think the problem with the atari world is everything is written by different people on different configurations so need slightly different instructions
"
& lets not for get that most of the txt in the install of 1.7 is GERMAN, not to mention some of the txt files for additional items. Troubble is. I am not able to know this until its too late. I for one just click on what looks as if it will do something rather than quit the last 10 minutes of install process.
Our german cousins are marvells when it comes to writing new software, yet they seem to forget that they are not sole users of the software they create!
1 Hades060 & 3 TT030 machines.Nova & Spektrum Graphics cards,1 Reibel network card,Slm Lazer printer, Epson GT600 flatbed, 1 SCSi to IDE interface + UltraSatan. Nakamachi 7 & 5 CD disk changers. 1 Mega STE.
dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by dexterslab »

wongck wrote:is that using a tripod to hold the camera shooting at the screen?? :?:
yep

Return to “Professionals”