Mint Xaes naes

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Mint Xaes naes

Post by TTowner »

For all those dum people out here who have problems. Would anyone care to share their mint xaees setup? Zip format will do.
1 Hades060 & 3 TT030 machines.Nova & Spektrum Graphics cards,1 Reibel network card,Slm Lazer printer, Epson GT600 flatbed, 1 SCSi to IDE interface + UltraSatan. Nakamachi 7 & 5 CD disk changers. 1 Mega STE.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Mint Xaes naes

Post by wongck »

Best just grab from Aranym's AFROS.
Everything's there.
Just make Mint run from AUTO instead of the system folder (Aranym specific setting).
I think there are several versions.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

Thanks for the same reply as always. This is far from usefull and I fear is in the same vane as all the other replies so far.

This does it and that does this just use that.
Fat lot of use that is !!
Some help it is when there is no understanding of anything suggested so far.
What is the point of responding if you are only going to expose to the newbee that this or that works go get that!!!
Dumb is an understatement. If you cannot provide the assistance in full then you might just as well keep quiet and let someone else give the wanted advice and or setup that others are longing to have to get their system going..... :roll:
1 Hades060 & 3 TT030 machines.Nova & Spektrum Graphics cards,1 Reibel network card,Slm Lazer printer, Epson GT600 flatbed, 1 SCSi to IDE interface + UltraSatan. Nakamachi 7 & 5 CD disk changers. 1 Mega STE.
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by christos »

Well it wasn't a bad answer. It wouldn't work out of the box but it does have 10 times more chances to work than what you are asking.

Let me explain. A zip file of someone's auto and MiNT folder would allow you to boot to MiNT+XaAES, if you made the necessary changes. But I'd give it an uptime of about 1-10 mins before the system crashed.

MiNT is more than the kernel and XaAES and though you can make such a setup, I doubt anyone else who uses MiNT has such a system.

A lot of stuff sit in the ext2 partition, there are dependencies, symlinks, packages that can't be run from a TOS partition. Or need to be reconfigured.

For example toswin on my setup is at /u/opt/ which is on an ext2 partition. Without toswin you can't run TOS programs or a console.

What you are asking won't work. What you should ask is for someone to create a disk image of his TT's hard disk.

Unfortunately, many people have their own work, software etc that aren't willing to share.

Alternatively you need to find someone who's got a setup (on a TT again) that's similar to MultiTOS. I doubt you will though..

Lastly why don't you ask at the MiNTlist if someone can help you there?

I'd be more than willing to help you setup a MiNT installation if you are..
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Well, Have you tried it actually?

AFROS contains stuff like desktop, editor, media player (aniplay/zview), hyperhelp and other good stuff already installed for you.
(not installed but copied onto the system)
You just have to execute the Mint.prg in the Auto folder.
Of course all the Native function stuff will not work so they just fails to load but that's OK.

If you have read from the other tread in the forums, you may want to try EasyMint.
But I think unZIP AFROS onto a harddisk is far easier.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by christos »

You forget that there is a special kernel version for aranym and also XaAES I think is the 040 version. So you'll need to replace these things.
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

See. now when i look at the posts here lots of what is said makes some sense.
Some makes no sense.
The bit about the hard drive having an ex whatsit. makes no sense.
The bit about individual systems and sharing makes no sense as it's hardly likely that a fresh install will contain anything other than just that.
To have a zipped packagee of a mint already installed is perhaps not impossible. i think 1 file for the C drive. 1 for the extended partition & 1 for any other stuff that might be needed. Simply making a set that as said can be universally inserted to a TT or Falcon hard drive.

When you start talking about afro's I get a picture of huggy bear from that american TV series back then.
Multitos. Well. Limited and unresponsive on a TT unless i missed something.. I wanted to achieve a desk like those I have seen on some web pages with at least the functionality and diversity of something more than an atari pocket calculator.
Other mint users out there seem to have such a great system. Or is this a myth?
Anything that woould make life easier for other users is obviously worth it in the end. then instead of asking and getting scant disjointed replies to queries there will be a user base able to offer much more advice.
Things like just copy this or that setup o C: drive is hardly the answer that gets others into mint.

A small installed version may suit some people, if just by doing so the appearance of multitasking is apparent on their system.
Perhaps in reality, this is the most easiest to work with. Offering limited functionality and ease of setup.

It may look good and work well, but is far from the true capacity of the full installation.
So. those who have some insight into small setups have their uswfull advice. Those who have acheived a more complete setup have theirs. The latte is what I personally would like assistance from or even a copy of mint in a zip file. By mint in a zip I am aware the C: drive is not the only part of mint.I am also hoping that those who understand the scant description of zip me up mint will have considered that fact and let me know by hands on exactly how to acheive what they have.

Ofcourse. all information is valuable, but not all information is usefull.
Thank you for your comments. please keep them comming.
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

christos wrote:You forget that there is a special kernel version for aranym and also XaAES I think is the 040 version. So you'll need to replace these things.
This intersts me greatly as from this system of Anyram whatever I have read that it may be possible to run Linux netbsd and the like.
Is this so?
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

TTowner wrote:The bit about the hard drive having an ex whatsit. makes no sense.
The bit about individual systems and sharing makes no sense as it's hardly likely that a fresh install will contain anything other than just that.
It doesn't make sense to you because you don't understand what's involved.
TTowner wrote:To have a zipped packagee of a mint already installed is perhaps not impossible. i think 1 file for the C drive. 1 for the extended partition & 1 for any other stuff that might be needed. Simply making a set that as said can be universally inserted to a TT or Falcon hard drive.
To do this you need to do the following:

1. Install a bare MiNT-setup so you can boot MiNT.
2. Make sure you have a partition with partition ID LNX or RAW.
3. Initialise this partition with mkextfs.
4. Reboot into MiNT again.
5. Make sure you have gzip and tar available.
6. Unpack the ext2-tarball to your ext2-partition.
7. Modify your MiNT configuration file so the ext2-stuff is properly located.
8. Reboot.

So why is this easier than just download and install EasyMiNT which will guide you through the entire process?
TTowner wrote:Other mint users out there seem to have such a great system. Or is this a myth?
It's called EasyMiNT.
TTowner wrote:Things like just copy this or that setup o C: drive is hardly the answer that gets others into mint.
Again, you're asking for EasyMiNT. It already exists.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

TTowner wrote:
christos wrote:You forget that there is a special kernel version for aranym and also XaAES I think is the 040 version. So you'll need to replace these things.
This intersts me greatly as from this system of Anyram whatever I have read that it may be possible to run Linux netbsd and the like.
Is this so?
Apparently. A friend of mine is running m68k-linux under Aranym as a cross-compiler environment for his Amigas.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

This is for the v8+ I guess, as I build my Mint from AFROS last year and do not see any special builts.
I will check this out. Thanks.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

TTowner wrote:To have a zipped packagee of a mint already installed is perhaps not impossible. i think 1 file for the C drive. 1 for the extended partition & 1 for any other stuff that might be needed. Simply making a set that as said can be universally inserted to a TT or Falcon hard drive.
The 1 file for C: drive is the actual mint distribution from Sparemint archive.
It just does that - give you what you need in C drive to boot Mint.

The extended partion - no you cannot just unZIP a filesystem. That's needed to be created.

The other stuff you need -- that's the RPM.
You need to know abit of Unix to use RPM.
dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by dexterslab »

joska wrote:
TTowner wrote:Things like just copy this or that setup o C: drive is hardly the answer that gets others into mint.
ding!

easymint installed installed and worked perfectly for me, far simpler than trying to hack around with zip files etc and trying to make your own ext2 filesystem

@TTowner, i thought you allready had a working mint system? if thats the case why would you need zip copies of other users systems?
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

dexterslab wrote:ding!
easymint installed installed and worked perfectly for me, far simpler than trying to hack around with zip files etc and trying to make your own ext2 filesystem
Should be.... but not half as fun as DIY :wink:
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

wongck wrote:
This is for the v8+ I guess, as I build my Mint from AFROS last year and do not see any special builts.
I will check this out. Thanks.
OMG, 8O the v8.12 does not work at all for the TT. It does indeed looks like it a special build for Aranym or > 030 CPU.
I think the v6 or v7 should work for 030 CPU, but older versions are not available from SourceForge.
When I build my Mint environment, I just copied the file structure of it to my TT and it works.
Another package to look for may be the Pack 3D but it's huge. :mrgreen:
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

wongck wrote:OMG, 8O the v8.12 does not work at all for the TT. It does indeed looks like it a special build for Aranym or > 030 CPU.
The kernel in Afros is Aranym-specific. It can't run on anything else, as it depends on some features in Aranym (basically the NatFeat API).
Jo Even

TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

dexterslab wrote:
joska wrote:
ding!

@TTowner, i thought you allready had a working mint system? if thats the case why would you need zip copies of other users systems?
I am a little paranoid about mint. I just can't seem to accept that when installed it is fully opperational. Maybe it is. Never having seen a mint setup actually working so I don't know if the setup I have ran is fully working. On a side note. I don't care about any one elses supposed personal data, just that I have a fully configured MINT installation...
To be able to see mint do what I think it can would be a start.Bit of a misnoma really as I haven't a clue exactly what it WILL do. You know, I have nevever seen it do anything other than cause troubble in my head.
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

wongck wrote:
The 1 file for C: drive is the actual mint distribution from Sparemint archive.
It just does that - give you what you need in C drive to boot Mint.

The extended partion - no you cannot just unZIP a filesystem. That's needed to be created.

The other stuff you need -- that's the RPM.
You need to know abit of Unix to use RPM.
What is this RPM. is it how fast the files unpack? :lol: See, now we are back in the unknown again. RPM means nothing to me.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

TTowner wrote:I am a little paranoid about mint. I just can't seem to accept that when installed it is fully opperational. Maybe it is. Never having seen a mint setup actually working so I don't know if the setup I have ran is fully working. On a side note. I don't care about any one elses supposed personal data, just that I have a fully configured MINT installation...
To be able to see mint do what I think it can would be a start.Bit of a misnoma really as I haven't a clue exactly what it WILL do. You know, I have nevever seen it do anything other than cause troubble in my head.
So basically you don't believe that MiNT is actually working until you see it with your own eyes? Sorry, but I can't help you there.

You have been giving some good advice in this thread, but your unwilling to follow the advice you've been giving and your rude responses does not encourage people to help you further. My advice is to try EasyMiNT. Read the docs and follow the instructions, and it will work. If it doesn't, read the docs again.
Jo Even

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

TTowner wrote:What is this RPM. is it how fast the files unpack? :lol: See, now we are back in the unknown again. RPM means nothing to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_Package_Manager

Found with Google.
Jo Even

TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by TTowner »

joska wrote:
TTowner wrote:I am a little paranoid about mint. I just can't seem to accept that when installed it is fully opperational. Maybe it is. Never having seen a mint setup actually working so I don't know if the setup I have ran is fully working. On a side note. I don't care about any one elses supposed personal data, just that I have a fully configured MINT installation...
So basically you don't believe that MiNT is actually working until you see it with your own eyes? Sorry, but I can't help you there.

You have been giving some good advice in this thread, but your unwilling to follow the advice you've been giving and your rude responses does not encourage people to help you further. My advice is to try EasyMiNT. Read the docs and follow the instructions, and it will work. If it doesn't, read the docs again.

Hey my manner may be a little off in your oppinion. Bu not all of us are as ohfae about something unknown. If my words have offended anyone then it was and is NOT my intention.
Everybody has their own pace of learning and mine unfortunately is slower than yours. My methods differ to others, so please don't take offence.So I'm sceptical and perhaps a bit slow to grasp things. Do you have a problem with me with that?

Everybody has to learn and not everybody learns at the same speed.
dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by dexterslab »

easy to tell if your easymint works or not... if it boots into teradesk it's working
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by christos »

joska wrote:
Well I think I can help there...

This is MiNT working:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJANuSJI7nQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpdmbxWBVTY
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

TTowner wrote:I am a little paranoid about mint. I just can't seem to accept that when installed it is fully opperational. Maybe it is. Never having seen a mint setup actually working so I don't know if the setup I have ran is fully working. On a side note. I don't care about any one elses supposed personal data, just that I have a fully configured MINT installation....
:lol: Same response when I moved to Windows 7.... but mine is afraid that most of the older apps will not work.
Makes you wish that world top 3 computer sellers HP, ACER & DELL sells Atari preinstall with Mint instead of Wintel preinstalled with Win7, eh?
TTowner wrote:To be able to see mint do what I think it can would be a start.Bit of a misnoma really as I haven't a clue exactly what it WILL do. You know, I have nevever seen it do anything other than cause troubble in my head.
One time for Mint is multitasking.... you can see that simply by running clock.app and several lines.app at the same time. I did that to see how well the TT is running vs my CT63 falc.
And you don't need a mirror to see that :lol:
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

TTowner wrote: What is this RPM. is it how fast the files unpack? :lol: See, now we are back in the unknown again. RPM means nothing to me.
:lol: Same response to me when I wanted more stuff on my Mint setup..... WTF is RPM?
Why can't the developer just use good old ZIP, eh?.... that's what I was thinking. :wink:

Well, if you want it bad enough, you will go find out on your own.
Jo even gave you a link to the Wiki!!

In a way, RPM is more powerful than ZIP. And using it creates a fully functional application without much configuration.
Checks your system if you have other requires software, settings etc. :thumbs:
(like Sharity-light -- the NET USE equivalent -- no configuration needed and same as the DHCP client).

Return to “Professionals”