Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

mfletcher
Atari User
Atari User

Problem: Erratic Mouse Movement

Post by mfletcher »

Hi,

I just brought my C-Lab Mk I out of storage to tinker with last night and Im having difficulty getting the mouse to work properly. What happens is when I move the mouse, the pointer moves over to either the left or right hand side of the screen. Up/Down movement is actually a diagonal movement. Ive reseated the mouse and even tried an Amiga mouse (before finding out that theres an incompatibility between Amiga and ST mice). Does anyone know if this is a common symptom of a failing ST mouse or something more serious like the mouse port beginning to fail? Anyone know where I can source a replacement mouse in N America, or worst case repairs?

Thanks

Mark
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Problem: Erratic Mouse Movement

Post by DarkLord »

mfletcher wrote:Hi,

I just brought my C-Lab Mk I out of storage to tinker with last night and Im having difficulty getting the mouse to work properly. What happens is when I move the mouse, the pointer moves over to either the left or right hand side of the screen. Up/Down movement is actually a diagonal movement. Ive reseated the mouse and even tried an Amiga mouse (before finding out that theres an incompatibility between Amiga and ST mice). Does anyone know if this is a common symptom of a failing ST mouse or something more serious like the mouse port beginning to fail? Anyone know where I can source a replacement mouse in N America, or worst case repairs?

Thanks

Mark
Since its' been in storage, did you clean the mouseball and rollers?

I know you've probably already done this, but its best to get the obvious out of the way...
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
mfletcher
Atari User
Atari User

Post by mfletcher »

DarkLord wrote: Since its' been in storage, did you clean the mouseball and rollers?

I know you've probably already done this, but its best to get the obvious out of the way...
Yep, checked that already; the ball and rollers are clean. I had contacted Best-Electronics about a replacement mouse and they suggested that I try waggling the mouse cable (to see if its a broken connection) or waggling the mouse connector at the mouse port (to see if its a faulty port). Well further investigation revealed that the mouse works in the up-down axis but only moves to the left. Waggling the cable or the connector at the mouse port doesnt change this. Because waggling the connector doesnt change anything, I hope that just means that the mouse is faulty.
Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Hippy Dave »

A fleck of grit may be hiding in the opto-encoders. Open the mouse up and give it a blast of air. Otherwise, it may be a bad solder joint.
simbo

Post by simbo »

check for any resident .acc files
use ctrl alt?? when booting to bypass hdd boot

and try the mouse again

otherwise youll need to resolder the ports on the keyboard
as this error isnt caused by the mouse its the port thats gubbed
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

I get this most of the time while swapping my logitech mouse between TT & falcon. Normally a good push into the socket works.
But I remember that this was happening to my old Atari mouse and it was the internal wires giving way.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
mfletcher
Atari User
Atari User

Post by mfletcher »

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just recently got a hold of a second Atari mouse and it is exhibiting the same behaviour. So Im pretty sure at this point now that its the mouse port at fault.

So, my question is, is there any sites in the US that do Atari ST / Falcon repairs? If not, Im heading back to the UK at Xmas to visit my parents, are their any sites in the UK that could do such a repair?

Please help!

Thanks,

Mark
Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Paolo »

just a quick reply...
If it's a connector problem, as it seems to be, you shouldn't have any problem in doing it by yourself.
It's a matter of removing the case screws and re-solder the connector pins. You don't have to touch anything 'delicate' on the ST board, the connectors are on the edge of the motherboard.
BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by BoNuS »

I bought a second hand Mega STE and it also had a "bad" mouse.
It didn't really want to go down and leftt and right had the shakes ;)

I opend the mouse, cleaned the rollers but also push the little receptors
that count the opening ot the wheels of the mouse a little towards each other.
That fixed it for me, it now work 100% again.

So if you open the mouse you will see (if al goes well) 2 wheels with opening
in them. These are connected to the axes of the rollers.
These wheels move between little light receptors (transparant plastic things)
and they are the one's I mean. Just bent them gently so the distance between
them is smaller and then try it again with the ball in it...
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
( I have just to much Atari stuff)
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Paolo wrote:just a quick reply...
If it's a connector problem, as it seems to be, you shouldn't have any problem in doing it by yourself.
It's a matter of removing the case screws and re-solder the connector pins. You don't have to touch anything 'delicate' on the ST board, the connectors are on the edge of the motherboard.
The joystick/mouse-ports are on the keyboard itself. You have to disassemble the keyboard and resolder the ports.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Paolo »

OOPS! Sorry. I was thinking about the *side* joypad ports on the Falcon...
simbo

Post by simbo »

i fixed it perminatly
by removing the older keyboard ports and fitting two ports on the rear of the machine
farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by farvardin »

hello,

I have one Atari ST mouse which doesn't work well. It seems the ball has lost its texture so there is less grip on the wheels and the movement is erratic. Is there a way to fix this?

Return to “Professionals”