Hardware Guru

Coming soon

Post by joska »

Coming soon for the Falcon 030/040/060.
abbaye.png
screenshot.png
screenshot2.png
With original music by Skuggemannen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Coming soon

Post by mpattonm »

Looks super nice
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

looks nice
Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

OMG!

I dont really play games much, but the Windows version of this is on my desktop (along with Maldita Castilla and Curse of Issyos).

Its blown my mind that you have recreated for the F030!

Top marks to you Joska. :cheers:

So that was what all the secretive questions were about! :)
LaceySnr
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaceySnr »

Awesome, I've been wanting to play this after seeing it on so many other platforms!
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

:thumbs: Look great !!
Well done.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:34 pm So that was what all the secretive questions were about!
I didn't want to announce anything until I was sure that I had something that worked :)
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
marss
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by marss »

Hi,
Feel free to use all the assets I made 2 years ago for the Dreamcast and the Jaguar versions ;)
https://mega.nz/file/bng3ASRS#FaoA2nlLb ... s5ji8S4rns
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

As I could help with beta testing, I can tease you guys - it is a pure gem! Really nice work there, Jo Even!
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

marss wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:12 am Feel free to use all the assets I made 2 years ago for the Dreamcast and the Jaguar versions ;)
I probably would have used some of them if I had known about them! Now I'm using the graphics from the SDL and Megadrive versions. Looks like your graphics is based on these as well? Btw I was not aware of a Jag-port at all.

Music and sound effects are all new in the Falcon version.
Jo Even

marss
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by marss »

Mine is much, much, much more colorful and detailed ;)
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Well, it's a bit late for me to change the graphics now I'm afraid. Using your graphics will mean a radical change from tilebased to prerendered backgrounds, which is something I'm not going to do as the entire game-engine is based around tiles.

Edit: I see now that the tiles (most of them atleast, I haven't checked) are present in the spritemap. So yes, it would be possible to use this graphics. But still a lot of work to adapt it, which I'm afraid I won't do this close to release. But I may use a couple of the sprites if that's OK. Since this graphics is based on the SDL and Megadrive graphics I guess it's GPL like the originals?
Jo Even

marss
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by marss »

Yes. GPL.
GokMasE
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by GokMasE »

This looks awesome! I am not familiar with the game until now but will for sure be playing this on my Falcon/CT60 when it is ready :)

Keep up the good work! :cheers:

Regards,

/Joakim
dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dhedberg »

Looks great! Exciting times!
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org.
Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo It's that time of the year again, or click here to feel the JOY.
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

The only question that remains now is...When is soon? :)
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

"Soon" is "when I'm finished" :D The game is mostly finished, I'm currently fixing bugs and tweaking it a bit.
Jo Even

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Post by CiH »

Lovely and oldschool looking.
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

According to Wikipedia, there's a real (haunted) abbey with this name in France: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortemer_Abbey
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

joska wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:42 am "Soon" is "when I'm finished" :D The game is mostly finished, I'm currently fixing bugs and tweaking it a bit.
The "tweaking" part got a bit out of hand I'm afraid :) I wanted to make some twists to the game, and what I first thought were minor changes were in fact not so minor. So I'm currently throwing out the last bits of the original code. It will be worth it I believe.
Jo Even

Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Rustynutt »

Kewl!
stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by stormy »

Joska would it be possible for this to run on a TT?
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

joska wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:36 pm The "tweaking" part got a bit out of hand I'm afraid :) I wanted to make some twists to the game, and what I first thought were minor changes were in fact not so minor. So I'm currently throwing out the last bits of the original code. It will be worth it I believe.
Beware of feeping creatures...

This reminds me of our development for Airstrike (SDL game): http://icculus.org/airstrike/screenshot ... nshot8.png

After Ulf made the physics more realistic (which did result in much nicer airplane handling), and I added some fancier game object handling to the game, we lost the single player mode. We couldn't anymore make the AI smart enough to handle those, and there was no network multiplayer support [1].

Testing game after losing AI was pretty boring, and our game development dried out before it (or many of the development idea attempts) was completed... This was of course also partly due to real world demands. And having something like Git would have also helped in keeping development stuff on separate branches from main development.

[1] good network play requires it being part of the original plan, or rewriting lots of game core to work nicely with it (does one stream game state, is there separate server, or do clients communicate with each other etc).
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

stormy wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:04 pm Joska would it be possible for this to run on a TT?
Most likely. But there are two problems that has to be solved:

1. Graphics. TT low and med are fixed to 480 lines and 320/640 columns. On the Falcon the game use a custom resolution of either 256x192 or 512x384 (viewport to a slightly wider/taller screen for "free" sprite clipping), which means I have to change every piece of code that writes to the screen to get it working on the TT. The graphics code adapts itself to varying linewidths, but the double height and need for sprite clipping code is what complicates it.
2. I don't have a TT.

If someone can solve the second problem for me I'll be more than happy to solve the first one :D
Eero Tamminen wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:01 pm Beware of feeping creatures...
Too late I'm afraid :) But it's a great learning experience.
Jo Even

Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

joska wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:52 am 2. I don't have a TT.

If someone can solve the second problem for me I'll be more than happy to solve the first one :D
As long as you don't do palette tricks to get more colors on screen than the screen mode normally supports, I think Hatari should suffice pretty well for that, if you have somebody to test the final versions on real HW. Just remember to run Hatari with cycle-exact mode enabled, as otherwise 030 CPU cache emulation isn't used.

Return to “Games”