All about chiptunes

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

Akira
Retro freak
Retro freak

YM tracker with MIDI capabilities?

Post by Akira »

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in YM2149/AY8192 music composing, so far I have gathered a bunch of tools for the ZX 128K Spectrum, but I'm more interested in the possibilities of an Atari ST running the YM chip. However I'm a complete St tracking n00b :D

What I'm really looking for is not just any tracker. I'm looking for one that would have the ability to respond as a MIDI slave to start/stop and midi clock signals, so I can use it in a live set up with an arrangement of other MIDI gear.

Something like this does not exist for most of the other computers (Amiga, ZX) but I thought that, being the ST bundled de-facto with MIDI ports, maybe someone coded such a tracker. Not even a PC tracker with these capabilities exist (you can play notes and create a song from a MIDI keyboard, but they do NOT respond to start/stop and clock signals!)

I really need it to be in the usual TRACKER interface, the more "unleashing" of the power of the YM chip it can bring, the better.

I am NOT interested in stuff like Cubase, that's what I've got a Mac for ;P

If such a program exists and does what I want it to, it will be time for me to finally get an Atari ST computer :) It's the only one I don't have yet!

Any help apreciated!
membot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by membot »

ah, another one in the search...i feel your...ah, pain?

i posted the same request recently, here's what i've found through my own and the advice of others :wink: :

musicmon v.2 is a nice ym tracker with "digidrum" support (you can load samples) lots of flexibility with the chips' sound parameters. it will respond to midi but only one track at a time via the midi input mode. no time sync :roll:

dr.t's tiger cub is a full on midi app (like cubase :wink: ) that can trigger the ym chip also. as of yet i haven't found out if it is possible to program your own presets but if so, that's an excellent piece of software.

i'm pretty sure that quartet (was that microdeal :oops: ) can be used with midi but that was primarily a digi app if i remember correctly...

then there's e.p.s.s. which i haven't used but would like to try :wink:

you should check these sites out:

http://dhs.nu/files_msx.php
http://dhs.nu/files_msx_digi.php
http://marcer.dyndns.org/

these are excellent resources

-j.

edit: oh, yes, forgot! was recently recommended XLR8 but that was for use with a sm 124... .. . and then of course there's electronic cow's synth app that is not a tracker but a midi controllable ym soft synth.
Akira
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Akira »

HEy!!!

Thanks for the dta, I'll see if any of this is useable in my setup. I really need the bloody ST to be a MIDI slave just receiving start/stop and clock. We'll see, Dr.T sounds interesting, but I wonder how much can I milk the YM with it?

This will keep me occupied for a while though.
damo
Atariator
Atariator

Post by damo »

akira...

i've thought about this sort of stuff a little, and i decided i would implement midi start/stop in my new tracker. i wont be implementing sync to MTC however as that would complicate things far too much :D

i'd be surprised if any tracker out there syncs to midiclock but hey, i could be wrong :)

good luck with your quest
membot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by membot »

damo,

you're developing a tracker that will recieve start/stop?!? excellent!!!

what other features are you going to utilize? (samples maybe?)
Logic Bomb
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Logic Bomb »

....samples are for wussies ;)
Crazy Q
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Crazy Q »

Some digi trackers send and recives midi click , like TCB tracker for example ...

BUT no chip tracker .... :cry:
-:Crazy Q:- member of : DHS / Creators / YM-Rockerz
damo
Atariator
Atariator

Post by damo »

tcb receives midiclick? interesting! :)

well i speak purely off the top of my head with no real thought on the matter, but i'm sure sending midiclick would be dead easy, i just have the feeling that receiving and syncing to midiclick would be a right royal pain in the bottie!

but hey i shall have a look. as a great atari demogroup once said, 'no promises' ;)

incidentaly, development of the new triplex is going really well, and logic bomb, samples may be for wussies, but they're also for triplex users :P

greets

damo
membot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by membot »

damo, how's the work going on your tracker?
if you need any help getting it together maybe i can assist
i am however new to coding but would like something to dive into
damo wrote:akira...

i've thought about this sort of stuff a little, and i decided i would implement midi start/stop in my new tracker. i wont be implementing sync to MTC however as that would complicate things far too much :D

i'd be surprised if any tracker out there syncs to midiclock but hey, i could be wrong :)

good luck with your quest
ishiatama
Atarian
Atarian

Post by ishiatama »

Any developments on the midi clock?

I've already got music mon rockin with my midi setup on a STe. 3 voices of grungy goodness.

..but i'd like to be able to clock master or slave. It would be the best of all worlds. Durty sound and tracker sequencing mixed with advanced midi sequencing, audio and other outboard goodies .(midified NES', Casios, 12bit samplers and whatnot)

Oh and while i'm doing the christmas wishlist...MidiCC parameter changes
:twisted:
ishiatama
Atarian
Atarian

Post by ishiatama »

aaah...just flipped through the maxYmiser 1.13 manual..looks promising..

Return to “Ym rockin'”