My compositions made in MaxYMiser!

All about chiptunes

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

YQN
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: My compositions made in MaxYMiser!

Post by YQN »

607 wrote:Thank you very much! :D No, I am not, and sometimes I have felt like I wasn't improving (and I do think my previous MaxYMiser tune, Whistling Winds, might be my weakest yet). However, I do try to both attempt new things and remember what's worked in the past. :)
My current WIP is a 'nasty' boss theme. Inspired by your hardware renders, I want to record it from the real hardware (which is something I haven't done in a while, as it often sounds less clean). I guess the COVID-19 crisis, which has made me stay with my family, makes it easier to do this, as now I am always close to the real hardware, instead of only seeing it once in a fortnight. ;)
After that, inspired by the comments on botb, I'd like to make a tune that would play on ST, so without use of the DMA channels. Possibly one inspired by the music for the Mega Man games, which I have wanted to do since watching this video, years ago.
I think it's a great exercise to not use the DMA channels, it forces to focus on what's important in the track, you have to make choices, have fewer elements, learn what's actually not necessary, know what you can take out when you want to add a melody, trick the listener, there's a lot to learn from that exercise! I only use DMA when a coder requests the timers :P and I just love the sound of YM-played samples, it's my kind of dirt :)
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by 607 »

YQN wrote:I think it's a great exercise to not use the DMA channels, it forces to focus on what's important in the track, you have to make choices, have fewer elements, learn what's actually not necessary, know what you can take out when you want to add a melody, trick the listener, there's a lot to learn from that exercise! I only use DMA when a coder requests the timers :P and I just love the sound of YM-played samples, it's my kind of dirt :)
Sounds good! I think I'll change plans and not use the DMA channels for my boss WIP either. I forgot it is possible to play back samples on the YM channels.
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

607's MaxYMiser compositions

Post by 607 »

I made an Atari ST compatible tune for the first time!
It is a boss theme; something that I have been wanting to create for many years, but was always intimidated by the idea of. I thought I was skilled enough to do it now, and I am quite happy with how it turned out. :) It's a long one!

Epic Confrontation Video Download (under Other)
MM41

Post by MM41 »

For me it's not just a boss theme, but all the pieces for a complete game, well done 607 :cheers:
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by 607 »

MM41 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:23 pm For me it's not just a boss theme, but all the pieces for a complete game, well done 607 :cheers:
Thank you for the compliment, MM41! :cheers:

Return to “Ym rockin'”