gwEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

chip music theft!

Post by gwEm »

check out this:

http://nl_hq.micromusic.net/stolengoods/

quite shocking news indeed. lots of stu music stolen :(

maybe someone recognises who the song "Diva" is actually by?

or maybe someone recognised other songs from Fitt for Fights as being Atari or other scene music?

would be cool to have any opinions or ideas.
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by bullis1 »

I would have no problem if they just sampled scene music, but that is just a plain rip-off. I'll have to show that to a couple of my friends who listen to those beeotches I think :)

I can't help to recognize if any of their other work is stolen though, because I can't stand their awful off-key "singing."
exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by exxos »

*brushes remixed knight rider under carpet*

yeah, they should at least credit people, oh, and learn to sing too..

chrsi
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by christos »

Since when learning how to sing is necessary to be a singer? Anyway someone should sue them. Of course after they make a cd.
Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Post by Marcer »

somebody shoule sue them for even existing! such crap. LOL

// Marcer
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_
SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by SkylineDave »

thats terrible! :( i bet they thought they could get away with it - not realising there are forums such as this one keeping the scene alive.
and their singing and lyrics are obviously terrible. remind me of a 'band' called Adult that i downloaded for a laugh. still got it on my pc! lol
AKA Megadaz / Black Eagle --- STOS, Dungeon Master and Captive fan!
Developer of DemoBaseST
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by bullis1 »

It's not so bad that they are crappy singers I guess. It just makes it worse that they recorded themselves using a $2 PC microphone! It just goes to show how talentless they are in reality. Technically speaking though, the original chip tunes aren't actually copyrighted so I think it would be quite tough to sue them. Especially since it would be an international case. Sure it's a "crime," but I doubt they'll face any legal reprocussions even if they do release a CD ('cause it would probably be a limited self-funded release anyway).
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by christos »

They are copyrighted. They' re just free for non commercial use. Most of them were used in demos and demos were released in the public domain but that doesn't alter the copyright.
NiceGuyUK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by NiceGuyUK »

At the risk of being a Devil's Advocate....

...there are a great many chiptunes out there (and MODs too) that re cover versions/remixes of "real world" tunes. Have the authors sought copyright permission from the original artists/composers? Somehow I doubt it.

I fully appreciate STu and gwEm's annoyance at this band, but I seem to remember listening to gwEm's covers of Forever Autumn by Moody Blues and the intro from Prodigy's "Music For The Jilted Generation". Did he get clearance from Justin Hayward and Liam Howlett?

DISCLAIMER : Just providing another side to the coin is this debate. I shall now go back into my corner....
Also known as Big Boss Man of Demografica
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by bullis1 »

Oh snap!

j/k, but he does have a good point! However I'm sure they will tell you that covers of a tune are legal but sampling an entire song's audio is not.

I'm pretty sure that scene music isn't copyrighted for real though. Are you telling me that they went to the copyright bureau and paid the cost and filed the papers for all their works? I'm pretty sure that legal copyrights do work in the same way as patents, but I'd like to hear a law pro rule on this one.
gwEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by gwEm »

remix/cover version is one thing... but i mean - they just copied whole tracks, sang crappy lyrics, and said it was theirs.

thats something else ;)
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by bullis1 »

Precisely!

(sorry for the short post, hope it doesn't break any forum rules)
Maartau
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Maartau »

Legally, you can do nothing : I'm sure the "real" authors don't have registered their titles.

BUT

Those tracks are free & for NO COMMERCIAL USE.

SO

Until we heard/saw something like that again, :( the only thing we can do is to track them down & post the link.

AND

They aren't artists at all ! :evil: Better musicians are less known than them ! :twisted: .
guythp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by guythp »

@niceguyUK - Yes, a lot of chip tunes have ripped commercial songs.. It was barely last month I was going through the HVSC archive and listened to a game tune that was, essentially, a madness tune. And, I presume, the bloke got paid for 'writing' it. It was quite a blatant rip-off, so I imagine all who heard it knew where the song came from.. It was pre-copyright-frenzy days, mind..

Another take is my mate of many years was an amiga owner, when he first bought his shiny new a502 or whatever, his cousin came round with some disks, one of which contained the 'tutankhamun' pic from dpaint. His cousin told him he'd done it (the proof was his name in the bottom corner).

My point?.. can't remember.. but making money from someone elses ideas without crediting them is just plain bad, really, isn't it'? I mean, there's a distinct difference between 'influenced by' and 'copied'... Apart from oasis, obv.
The Hairy Pies
unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Post by unseenmenace »

guythp wrote:Apart from oasis, obv.
LMAO

I quite agree though.

On a side note we should all pity those who have no original ideas or talent to the extent that they feel the need to do such things :)
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com
Frazer
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Frazer »

bullis1 wrote:Oh snap!

I'm pretty sure that legal copyrights do work in the same way as patents, but I'd like to hear a law pro rule on this one.
Don't know how things are in Canada, but at least in Swedish law you own the intellectual rights to anything you have created without any form of registration. As far as I know there is not even any place you can register songs for copyright reasons, not in the sense of a patented invention or something alike.

I'm no law pro though.

Anyway, ripoffs are never fun.
Andreas Franzén
Frazer/TSC

Return to “Ym rockin'”