What do you all prefer...

All about chiptunes

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

Frazer
Atariator
Atariator

What do you all prefer...

Post by Frazer »

Sid voice tunes or oldschool regular ones with beeps and buzzes?
Andreas Franzén
Frazer/TSC
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

Maxymiser style with all timer effects, SID + more :)
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Stefan jL »

I like all... but as evolution goes on for Atari ST music i see no reason for musicians to go back to beep only... unless the CPU time is needed ;-)
Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Post by Marcer »

for me new sounds is intressting!

you dont need SID to find out new YM soundings.
I have myself recently found out the buzzer do have alot intressting ways to play with :D

but well. good melodie + a cool lead sound, would do. But thats my view of point and target. Next question is a mather of style.

last compo showed its Funk stylish who seems to be the poo in the Atari scene crowd, just have a go with the winner G-SPort - Crazy Q :)

but myself I stay put with EuroDisko/oldgamemusic style :)

// Marcer
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_
Avanze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Avanze »

In my opinion you can't beat the sid or even fully emulate it for that matter. Although the sid voice in an interesting concept as a homage and tribute to the great composers of the Commodore 64. However, I would prefer to listen to the real thing rather then conversions, if given the choice to do so. The ym has its own unique voice, its own personality so to speak. Tao has the right idea with his tinkering and inventing new and different sounds to create alternative ways to produce fanciful melodies. I believe this is where the future of the ym belongs.
Frazer
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Frazer »

Stefan jL wrote:I like all... but as evolution goes on for Atari ST music i see no reason for musicians to go back to beep only... unless the CPU time is needed ;-)
Of course everything moves forwards, and I would never have dreamed of the sounds and techniques that exists today when I struggled with Blipp-blopper and Megatizer :) Still, I find myself to prefer the sound from the good ol'days (if for nothing else so for the pure nostalgia of it... Guess I'm a conservative old geezer these days
:D )
Andreas Franzén
Frazer/TSC
lotek_style
Mod(ul)erator
Mod(ul)erator

Post by lotek_style »

I esp like tao's style as its still unique... syncbuzzer :D
lotek style / the sirius cybernetics corporation
- musician - ascii-artist - swapper - archivist -

.tSCc. - low-tech atari cyberpunks since 1990
http://www.tscc.de/ | http://demozoo.org/ | http://www.lotekstyle.de/ | http://ymrockerz.atari.org/
guythp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by guythp »

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I prefer the ST's wall-piercing square waves.. Hippel's conversion of the sanxion or bangkok knights loader is a prime example - the bass line really kicks out and the screaming bleep lead, well, just works! :D I am beginning to appreciate the sid sound, but when listening to chip tunes, I usually plump for the ST's.. But it's what I grew up on.
The Hairy Pies
Argonaut
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Argonaut »

I have the feeling there's still under-used/developed sounds to be got out of the YM. Take for instance the title music to Nebulus by JMP. Musically it's not that great but it has a strange metalic sound to it, maybe he needed two channels for the effect. I would guess JMP would write his own YM driver since he did everything else!

On second listening it's not really metalic and of course sounds very dated with those drums, but I still think there's something unusual there.
keops
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by keops »

Both :)

I still listen to old chiptunes every 2 or 3 days :)

Return to “Ym rockin'”