Shades of Circuits - a MaxYMiser album

All about chiptunes

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

Skuggemannen
Atariator
Atariator

Shades of Circuits - a MaxYMiser album

Post by Skuggemannen »

Spending a while learning MaxYMiser on my Falcon 030 resulted in a 12 track chiptune album Shades of Circuits that was released on several digital platforms today.

Spotify - Shades of Circuits
YouTube playlist album MaxYMiser video
YouTube Album Cover

I've used my unmodified Atari Falcon sinze the early 90's, so It is a great pleasure to have an album completed on it at last.
Big thanks to gwEm for creating MaxYMiser! It's been a wonderfull journey to use this software.

Moving on to explore Ace Tracker and Cubase Audio Falcon now.

:cheers:
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Shades of Circuits - a MaxYMiser album

Post by dma »

Nice. :)
LaceySnr
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by LaceySnr »

Good stuff! Just had a listen through on Spotify :) Really like The Feller, good happy stuff. Wish I had a modicum of music writing talent, I have tinkered with MaxYMiser but not got past the very basics as of yet.
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

When you listen it from Spotify, you miss the MaxYMiser screen activity visible in the Youtube Atari video, so it's clearly an inferior option. ;-)
Skuggemannen
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Skuggemannen »

Eero Tamminen wrote:When you listen it from Spotify, you miss the MaxYMiser screen activity visible in the Youtube Atari video, so it's clearly an inferior option. ;-)
Yes I do agree. Still Spotify is more convenient in many situations.
After working on chiptunes during this project I somehow lost interest in other kinds of music for a while. It's like being blinded somehow. But I showed it to a few that have no clue about chiptunes and old computers, and they found the sounds annoying and didn't really se the point. I find listening to chiptunes without video interesting in that way, because there is no visuals helping the song and it must stand its own ground.

That being said, chiptunes is absolutely new to me. I've been playing and recording traditional instruments in Cubase for over 20 years, so this is just exploring new ground I guess. Like this track where I tried to mix an Atari with MaxYMiser, C64 with Mssiah, Guitars drums and a tambourine: https://soundcloud.com/user-585035581/osmium
Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Stefan jL »

The track "The Journey" was really awesome :thumbs:

Nice to hear more Atari ST chiptunes on Spotify :)
How did you add your music to Spotify? Is it difficult?
Skuggemannen
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Skuggemannen »

Stefan jL wrote: How did you add your music to Spotify? Is it difficult?
I've been using a service from Imusichian for many years. https://imusiciandigital.com/en/
It's going on all platforms , Itunes, Google Music, Shazam, Spotify, Youtube etc from here, and you can choose different distribution modells.
I'm sure there are other distributors around, but I'm very pleased with this company, based in Switzerland I think.

And it is absolutelly no work at all, and easy..
Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Stefan jL »

Skuggemannen wrote: And it is absolutelly no work at all, and easy..
Thanks for the reply... i was a bit curious how easy it was to add music at Spotify... not that i plan on doing that myself as i am no musician; just curious :)

Spotify has a feature that makes playlists with the most played songs each week (i think?) and now "The Journey" is my most played song :)
further down on the list is another Atari ST musician... XiA, with some songs that sound like they been recorred directly from an ST... i wonder how much ST music there is on Spotify :?:

YQN
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by YQN »

Subscribed. Cool stuff, don't have the time to play more than 2 tunes but I'll give the others a listen too!
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

The Journey, in some parts, reminds me of the classic french animation theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbCARO2ceUs
Skuggemannen
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Skuggemannen »

dma wrote:The Journey, in some parts, reminds me of the classic french animation theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbCARO2ceUs
Indeed, some of the chord progressions are the same apparently. I haven't seen that show in ages..I will check it out, hopefully it doesn’t suck.
YQN
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by YQN »

dma wrote:The Journey, in some parts, reminds me of the classic french animation theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbCARO2ceUs
Je savais pas que c'était Cosma !!!
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

Eheh, entre ça et Legrand sur les séries "Il était une fois..." (la vie, etc...), on peut être surpris si on ne le sait pas oui. ;)
Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Marakatti »

Thanks for the album.
I've listened to 5 songs so far and i really like your stuff. I can easily imagine these tunes playing in a background of some commercial fantasy themed ST adventure game from the early 90's. Or a pinball game, or a platformer, or...

Great job indeed :cheers: :cheers:
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------
neanderthal
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by neanderthal »

Skuggemannen wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:36 am
Eero Tamminen wrote:When you listen it from Spotify, you miss the MaxYMiser screen activity visible in the Youtube Atari video, so it's clearly an inferior option. ;-)
Yes I do agree. Still Spotify is more convenient in many situations.
After working on chiptunes during this project I somehow lost interest in other kinds of music for a while. It's like being blinded somehow. But I showed it to a few that have no clue about chiptunes and old computers, and they found the sounds annoying and didn't really se the point. I find listening to chiptunes without video interesting in that way, because there is no visuals helping the song and it must stand its own ground.

That being said, chiptunes is absolutely new to me. I've been playing and recording traditional instruments in Cubase for over 20 years, so this is just exploring new ground I guess. Like this track where I tried to mix an Atari with MaxYMiser, C64 with Mssiah, Guitars drums and a tambourine: https://soundcloud.com/user-585035581/osmium
Hehe,I never really liked any part of the spot-i-fy thing actually from the beginning,must be the adds or something on the free versions?

And about the chiptunes stuff,,yeap was not that much into it myself once upon a time when talking music,but got used to it via games and then after a while from the demos and all cool tweaky things that folks made back in the 90:ies and prior.(I got a STE todo midi drums and such back then)

And on the third part there,sounds like a bit when got my falcy,,was mainly to be able to record more properly at home and most of the stuff was strings and audio..Just pretty much the drums and intro parts that were midi.btw,,really like this Osmium tune,sort of odd crossover style or something ;)
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

And this weekend the music disk release of Shades of Circuits got 3rd place in the Sommarhack 2021 demo competition:

https://demozoo.org/productions/296590/
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Sounds good, and I really like couple of the pictures!

Works fine with EmuTOS v1.1 (in v1.0 startup texts look bad). Some tunes need >4MB RAM, or they crash to bus error.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Thank you for the feedback. I suspect you tested it on Hatari. When doing that I get the same result as you, unless I run the demo (rename circuits to circuits.tos and run it) directly and not from the loader. In that case it works correctly even with "only" 4Mb. However, on a real 4Mb Falcon it does not. I wonder if the Maxymizer SNDH player routine does some memory allocations that fails due to not enough memory. Or maybe I've messed up when I created the multitune SNDH.

I may look into this later, but for now 4Mb should be considered too little RAM for this music disk.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

IIRC the official SNDH driver from mym uses GEMDOS Malloc(). Maybe the heap is too small on 4MB systems?

And also I think Grazey/PHF once mentioned he reworked the driver not to use OS calls. It is a safe bet to ask him for help.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

It's OK for the player to use Malloc as long as it handles allocation failures properly. Not sure if that's the problem here. After digging a bit I found that two of the sub-songs ("Shades of Circuits" and "The Journey") are actually writing outside the player's allocated memory. The crash on 4Mb machines seems to be accidental - with more memory the overwrite does not corrupt the demo's code or data. I'll have to look more into this. I might have messed up when creating the multitune SNDH.
Jo Even

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Fixed (sort of...) version available here:

https://joska.atari.org/shadesofcircuit ... ts-1.1.zip

It does need 3.6Mb free ST-RAM, so on a machine with only 4Mb ST-RAM (regardless of any fast-RAM) you will have to boot a clean setup and possibly change to a low resolution before starting it.
Jo Even

Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

I'm getting certificate error:

Code: Select all

Connecting to joska.atari.org (joska.atari.org)|95.211.138.73|:443... connected.
The certificate's owner does not match hostname ‘joska.atari.org’
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

I guess it's atari.org... Use the direct URL instead: https://atari.joska.no/shadesofcircuits ... ts-1.1.zip
Jo Even

Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by 607 »

I'm rather late to the party, but this is great!
It seems like you have significant experience with music, but I couldn't find anything else you've done. How come?
Yet it also seems like you really knew what you were doing when it comes to music programming and sound design, even though you suggest that this was your first dabble with chiptune... I'm very impressed!
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

joska wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:23 pm I guess it's atari.org... Use the direct URL instead: https://atari.joska.no/shadesofcircuits ... ts-1.1.zip
Thanks, and sorry for the late reply. The new version works great, also with 1MB EmuTOS version!

Return to “Ym rockin'”