Questions about MaxYMiser

All about chiptunes

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Question(s) about MaxYMiser

Post by 607 »

607 wrote:When I try to load an SND that's on a different diskette than MaxYMiser it appears to load but I don't get back to MaxYMiser but stay stuck at a black screen instead.
This hasn't been solved, by the way. :P I've composed on emulator since, and now that I'm doing a tune on the Atari again I simply save the SND to the diskette the program is on.
I have learnt a lot of things about MaxYMiser since starting this thread, so if anyone has any questions, I might be able to answer them. :)
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Questions about MaxYMiser

Post by 607 »

There's no trick to use more than 8 digidrum samples in one tune, right? I feel like there would be room for it (because you can have 8 very long samples, I would figure it should also be possible to have 32 short samples, for instance).
YQN
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by YQN »

607 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:46 pm There's no trick to use more than 8 digidrum samples in one tune, right? I feel like there would be room for it (because you can have 8 very long samples, I would figure it should also be possible to have 32 short samples, for instance).
haven't tried but you could have 2 samples in one file and mute the 1st one in the mixer or volume sequence.
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by 607 »

There's a minor issue that I've had to deal with since I started using MaxYMiser, and I wonder if everyone's affected by it. When I start playback from within a pattern (using shift + enter), the last step is skipped on the way to the next pattern.
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

Yes it's a known problem. I think i did notice gwEm about it... but i'm not so sure now... πŸ€”
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by 607 »

This isn't really a question, but I thought it'd be interesting to share here. I'm working on a cover of a pop song that has two voices for most of it. Of course, I could simply have both voices in separate channels, but that seems like a waste, doesn't it? There is guitar too, which would already leave me with just the DMA channels for all other instruments I'd like to include, including percussion.
My usual solution is working with arpeggios, but I thought it would be nice to hear both voices separately. So a while ago, I had got the idea of enabling both the square and the wave/SID generator on an instrument, and enabling arpeggio on only one of them... this would allow me to create two separate voices playing at the same time. However, it doesn't work too well!
I thought it might be interesting to compare, so here is a recording of the two voices on separate channels (with the same custom wave instrument), a recording of the two voices on one channel using the technique I invented myself (although I'm probably not the first to try it :P), and a recording of the two voices on one channel using arps in the conventional way, which is probably what I'll have to go with.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Something interesting seems to happen in the square+wave experiment in the third measure. It sounds like the lower voice actually moves up a bit, even though it is programmed at the same pitch, as you can hear in the other versions. I guess there might be some interference going on?
Let me know if anyone recognises the song, by the way. ;P
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

arp.mp3 sounds interesting, a bit oldschool but cool
Mega ST 1 / 7800 / Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
DDD HDD / AT Speed C16 / TF536 / SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.atari.org
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by 607 »

Cyprian wrote: ↑Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:22 pm arp.mp3 sounds interesting, a bit oldschool but cool
Good to hear, I'll just roll with it, then. :)
YQN
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by YQN »

607 wrote: ↑Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:45 pm This isn't really a question, but I thought it'd be interesting to share here. I'm working on a cover of a pop song that has two voices for most of it. Of course, I could simply have both voices in separate channels, but that seems like a waste, doesn't it?
Depends on how important those voices are in the composition. If they're an important feature, maybe it's best to have those 2 channels reserved for the harmonies. Don't save channels just for saving channels. I don't know the song nor how you hear it, maybe you should write down the priorities, and implement what's most important, maybe there are instruments that don't add much to the composition, and that you can just drop?
There is guitar too, which would already leave me with just the DMA channels for all other instruments I'd like to include, including percussion.
Maybe you can pre-mix some samples in external software?
My usual solution is working with arpeggios, but I thought it would be nice to hear both voices separately. So a while ago, I had got the idea of enabling both the square and the wave/SID generator on an instrument, and enabling arpeggio on only one of them... this would allow me to create two separate voices playing at the same time. However, it doesn't work too well!
Are you using arp sequences with only 1 value, so that you actually don't have an arp? I achieve this result by using the fixed frequency commands instead :). Love that technique but I find it to be more useful for stab-like instruments than for harmonised melodies, maybe try having one melody at a different octave and see how it affects the interferences between the two melodies? The result here is significantly less good than the 2 channels version imo. The resulting timbres with interfering waves are great though, there's just not as much focus on the melodies so it depends what you're aiming at.
I thought it might be interesting to compare, so here is a recording of the two voices on separate channels (with the same custom wave instrument), a recording of the two voices on one channel using the technique I invented myself (although I'm probably not the first to try it :P), and a recording of the two voices on one channel using arps in the conventional way, which is probably what I'll have to go with.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Something interesting seems to happen in the square+wave experiment in the third measure. It sounds like the lower voice actually moves up a bit, even though it is programmed at the same pitch, as you can hear in the other versions. I guess there might be some interference going on?
Let me know if anyone recognises the song, by the way. ;P
To me the arpeggiated version is the least appealing, unless you really want an old school feel indeed. I'd say if you can find a way to keep the two channels for the melodies, do it, as I guess the harmonised voices are an important feature of the song. Also, I don't know the song but maybe some parts would benefit from one technique, and other parts from another technique? Maybe it's best to emphasize the harmonies in certain parts by using 2 channels, and having them on 1 channel when they're supposed to be in the background (if that ever happens)?
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by 607 »

YQN wrote: ↑Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:11 am [snip]
Wow, YQN, thanks for the feedback! :) You are right, the vocals are the most important part of the song. There is in fact little other prominent instrumentation. I'll think more about it. :) There are drums in the track, so I figured I'd need both sample channels for that, but that's probably too narrowly thought!
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by 607 »

Can anyone explain what native mode is for DMA? It sounds like you can have higher fidelity samples, at the cost of not being able to play them at different pitches?
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by 607 »

I just found something strange by accident. I found it in Hatari, and it doesn't work in Steem or JAM. Can anyone test it on real hardware? I don't have access to it currently. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B78lb_ ... sp=sharing
YQN
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by YQN »

607 wrote: ↑Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:22 pm Can anyone explain what native mode is for DMA? It sounds like you can have higher fidelity samples, at the cost of not being able to play them at different pitches?
I don't really use DMA so I can't help but have you asked in the facebook group maxYmiser user? Also I assume it's in the http://www.preromanbritain.com/maxymiser/man_v139.txt?
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

607 wrote: ↑Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:22 pm Can anyone explain what native mode is for DMA? It sounds like you can have higher fidelity samples, at the cost of not being able to play them at different pitches?
Yes, that's the principle of this "native" mode exactly.
Also this mode use almost 0% more CPU for the samples, great for STe demos.
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by 607 »

607 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:13 pm I just found something strange by accident. I found it in Hatari, and it doesn't work in Steem or JAM. Can anyone test it on real hardware? I don't have access to it currently. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B78lb_ ... sp=sharing
Okay, I am confused now! It does produce something on my STE. But now it doesn't do anything in Hatari anymore! :?
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

607 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:18 am There's a minor issue that I've had to deal with since I started using MaxYMiser, and I wonder if everyone's affected by it. When I start playback from within a pattern (using shift + enter), the last step is skipped on the way to the next pattern.
Fixed in latest release. ;)
YQN
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by YQN »

dma wrote: ↑Mon May 03, 2021 6:48 am
607 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:18 am There's a minor issue that I've had to deal with since I started using MaxYMiser, and I wonder if everyone's affected by it. When I start playback from within a pattern (using shift + enter), the last step is skipped on the way to the next pattern.
Fixed in latest release. ;)
Wow I didn't even know this shortcut! (Or I forgot it)
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by 607 »

dma wrote: ↑Mon May 03, 2021 6:48 am Fixed in latest release. ;)
Ah, finally! You spoiled the surprise, though. ;)
dma
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dma »

Well i was afraid that you would not try the functionality again. :P

Return to β€œYm rockin'”