[A]tari [G]ame [T]ools - 2D prototyping engine for STE

GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: [A]tari [G]ame [T]ools - 2D prototyping engine for STE

Post by mfro »

fvdi (https://github.com/jklockars/fVDI_from_0.958) contains sources for a tool (conv2gas) that can translate DevPac source files into gas syntax.

Not perfect (it can't cope with local labels, for example - which is a limitation of gas), but nevertheless quite useful.
kwahu
Atariator
Atariator

Post by kwahu »

thx, I've figured out that I've missed the vasm and rmac binaries in the bin/ folder ...

still I've managed to compile 2-3 programs from the tutorial folder but when I run most of them I get this kind of errors
kwahu
Atariator
Atariator

Post by kwahu »

when I try to compile tutorial 4, I get

undefined reference to `_BLiT_EntityDrawVisibleYM_68k'
kwahu
Atariator
Atariator

Post by kwahu »

and map8x8 compilation gives:

map8x8.o:map8x8.o:(.text+0x4222): undefined reference to `_EntityInteractVisibleYM_68k'
map8x8.o:map8x8.o:(.text+0x48aa): undefined reference to `_BLiT_EntityDrawVisibleYM_68k'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
kwahu
Atariator
Atariator

Post by kwahu »

SOLVED!

1 - vasm and rmac binaries are in bin/
2 - for each example first run - bash makedata.sh
3 - if make has error add this to makefile
COMPILERDEFS += \
-DAGT_CONFIG_WORLD_YMAJOR \
kwahu
Atariator
Atariator

Post by kwahu »

Hi,

I can't figure out how to use key input:

AGT_InstallInputService();
while(isRunning)
{
if (key_states[ScanCode_SPACE])
{
isRunning = 0;
}
}

What else should be in my loop?
prog99
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by prog99 »

AtariCrypt wrote: Still, I must admit to being disheartened with the take up of AGT. Esp when compared to other platforms over the last couple of years and their new/converted game releases I keep reading about :/
I’m not surprised. Doug wrote a great set of libraries but they are nearly 30 years too late on a dead platform.
All my real skills are undervalued
matt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by matt »

This is really cool.

My only issue are that the examples are too big/complete. I'd like to see smaller examples of each part of the API.

I'm about to do a card game and am considering this framework but I'll have to spend time checking all the examples to see if it does everything I need. I'll dive into the wiki now.
dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by dml »

The last version has a tutorials/ directory (and there was a walkthrough wiki on the bitbucket page) with examples that begin simple and end with more typical/useful functions e.g. collisions etc. However the most advanced tutorials were never completed. For now, those are basically the game demos. And yes, they may be a bit hard to follow especially if the tutorials aren't followed first.

I *might* find some time to put better tutorials up - I still have some stuff I did not finish or commit. But my time to maintain this is quite limited now. I will try to give direct help by messages/email for those who are actively trying to use it.

I think the COMPILERDEFS += -DAGT_CONFIG_WORLD_YMAJOR \ problem got fixed in the bitbucket repo but I'll soon check and commit updates if not.
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Hi Douglas, great to hear from you again!
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by alexh »

Thanks a lot. I really hope to use this tool kit during lockdown
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

Thanks for the quick update. Good to see you back on the forum!
Frank B
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Frank B »

Hey Doug! Hope you're doing well with all this craziness!
dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by dml »

Hi Frank :) We're ok thanks. Hope you're doing fine yourself.
Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Anima »

Hey Doug, welcome back. :)

Hope everyone is fine.
dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by dml »

Hi Sascha, yes fine thanks. Hope you're doing well also.

I noticed you've been keeping busy with Atari projects. Very nice! :)

I'm tempted to post some small bits & pieces here but wondering it is better to wait until the site has been up a while.
dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by dml »

Ok lets assume for now AF is back online. :)

I wanted to write a short note here that Atari Game Tools is not dead.

I have not been doing much in the last 2-3 years but recently began to find more time to play with things. I intend to continue working on AGT, with some changes... so here is a list!

- Bitbucket dropped Mercurial support. So the old repo is gone away (maybe already gone). I have converted it all to GIT at the same location, here: https://bitbucket.org/d_m_l/agtools/wiki/Home ...and made some fixes to the Wiki accordingly. If you pull this repo, be aware that it already contains some updates which were not in the old HG repo.

- I will continue adding tutorials, which has been missing important info on collision detection and other things. In fact I uploaded the start of tutorial 6 last week.

- I plan to make more examples, separate from the demos and tutorials. They'll be smaller and focus on one feature at a time with minimal code.

- I will also try to refine things more so the existing demos etc. are less messy, easier to understand. Although this is a lower priority than adding new stuff.

- I will be improving the drawing methods & features. This is already underway.

- I will be improving the tools. Also underway.

- Supporting two 68k assemblers is a real headache for me (an ongoing diff party!) so I will probably be moving everything to RMAC, which has a new site here: http://rmac.is-slick.com/

- I will continue to support Vincent's mint GCC as the base compiler but I will try to improve integration with the BrownELF compiler if possible. Mainly allowing a version to be selected. It's hardwired to either v6 or v7 at the moment and I think ggn has v9 or v10 already :-o This is not a high priority but would be nice to fix.

- While doing things like 4-way syncscroll on STF was fun, supporting STF is probably the #1 headache for me, time and complexity wise. To my knowledge there was no interest in STF support, compared with STE which saw multiple projects started - and this makes a lot of sense. So I will be removing STF support so I can focus on STE features - hopefully getting more done in the process.

- There are still some STE projects underway (other than my own). Not many, but some.

- For those who had started projects (thanks!) and needed more help from me to get unstuck (sorry!) I will try to assist if you post here, PM or email me. There should also be an issue tracker on the new GIT site.

- I have received bits and pieces, ideas, advice from various users of AGT before and during my absence. I'll make sure the wiki etc. notes any contributions made!

That's all for now. Look out for updates...

Cheers,
dml
Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Anima »

dml wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:32 pm I noticed you've been keeping busy with Atari projects. Very nice! :)
Well, kind of. It's more like cycling through ideas. ;)
There was a discussion lately on some Blitter stuff for which I will open a new thread later on.
dml wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:32 pm I'm tempted to post some small bits & pieces here but wondering it is better to wait until the site has been up a while.
Nice! I also have some ideas for a more convenient way to develop for the Atari ST. This may be of interest for your AGT as well.
Gnu
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Gnu »

dml wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:54 am
I wanted to write a short note here that Atari Game Tools is not dead.
:D
:cheers:
Don't believe everything that is true.
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

:cheers:
Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/
dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by dml »

Anima wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:47 am There was a discussion lately on some Blitter stuff for which I will open a new thread later on.
Anima wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:47 am I also have some ideas for a more convenient way to develop for the Atari ST. This may be of interest for your AGT as well.
That sounds interesting, looking forward to it!
dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by dml »

As mentioned before, I have recently been updating this project with some new features.

In fact there were quite a few features already waiting but I was not able to document or upload samples of them (or finish them, in some cases) before I stopped working on it. Now things are moving again.

https://youtu.be/Yyx_Q62aaW8

Previous versions of AGT could draw high performance sprites so long as they were no wider than 32 pixels. This was using Anima's technique - or my variations on it anyway.

I had also provided a third, new method for very large sprites called 'slabs', which are more or less scan-converted polygons with blitter shifted spans. These slab sprites could be very wide and with a complicated 'masked' perimeter, but could not have internal holes or gaps. This limited their use and some sprites would need edited to make them work with it.

Now the *new* version of AGT can draw huge sprites, using both sets of techniques without the annoying restrictions :-) The fastest method for a given sprite still depends on its shape to some extent - there may be cases where slabs can still be the faster method - but both can rasterize any shape and both are really fast. Quite usable for game projects.

There are more upgrades, samples and stuff on the way. But it will take me a bit of time to get through them.
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

looks soo cool
Last edited by Cyprian on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Return to “Coding”