The Atari Forum Demo

GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

mr.man
Atari User
Atari User

Post by mr.man »

Hi,

This is a question directed to the people contributing to the Atari-Forum-Demo. What app are you using for the music in your screens? I usually use Protracker (on the Amiga) but the Protracker rout for the ST I heard was really poor quality. I then tried SSD for authentic chippy sounds, but it lacks any real control, like tempo changing and pattern breaks. Is there anything with good ST replayer support that addresses those issues I mentioned? Are there any musicians contributing to the Demo that could point me in the direction of something better? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
mr.man
-
mr.man@asmr.net
bpadinha
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by bpadinha »

mr.man,

Part of the bad quality comes from the fact that the screen's using a lot of cpu for the dister and scroller, so I have to play your tune at 8khz. The rout I'm using can go up to 21khz, but then I wouldn't have time for any effect...

I'll look around and see if I can make an "STE-enhanced" version, which upon detecting it's running on an STE will use the hardware to play the tune...

bp
mr.man
Atari User
Atari User

Post by mr.man »

Hi bp,

I hope you didn't take what I said personally. It wasn't a criticism of your programming. I just thought the ST wasn't up to the task of replaying PT mods nicely without hogging all the CPU time. That is why I was searching for a good chip tracker and replay rout to convert my PT mod into. I wanted to give u some decent music for your demo, hence my concern about quality. If you have any suggestions or if you're happy with what I sent you let me know please.

Regards,
mr.man
-
mr.man@asmr.net
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

If you don't mind moving from digi to pure chip sound,
MusicMon, MusicMon2 come to mind. If you really need digi, then it will be quite hard.
A mix of digi and chip can be achieved with Sid Sound Designer. I'm sadly no musician so I only know a bit technical stuff. And you really don't need to stop PT as the Falcon for example can replay PT .mod at high quality. And the Falcon has a need for talented musicians as well as the ST scene.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
damo
Atariator
Atariator

Post by damo »

How about using Musicmon 2, its got nice digidrum support so you can keep some of your samples :) should use a lot less cpu than any stfm protracker rout and your melodies will be nice and ym clean ;)
bpadinha
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by bpadinha »

mr.man,

Certainly I didn't take that personally, don't worry about that.

There's some some STE tracker-replaying routs on the DHS site, so I'll be trying to make an STE-enhanced version of the screen (ie., if it detects it's running on an STE, it'll use the hardware).

If you do happen to convert your great tune to pure YM or YM with digi-drums, I'll do my best to include it as well, and perhaps code a easter egg to swap to it, or something... memory permitting that is! :-)

Cheers,

bp
mr.man
Atari User
Atari User

Post by mr.man »

Hi bp,

I'm in the process of converting the mod to SSD format. As soon as it is done I will send it to you. Thats a good idea to include both versions. I'm looking forward to seeing (and hearing) the finshed product in the Demo.

Regards,
mr.man
bpadinha
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by bpadinha »

That's cool, send it as it is right now, so I can try out the conversion to sndh and try to implement the function to switch between mod and chip.

bp
bpadinha
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by bpadinha »

It's not going too bad, but I have two problems:

1] SSD-converted tunes don't work with the SNDH-replayer on my screen. I wonder if it's some problem with timers?

2] Even with a tune that works, I can change from MOD to SNDH, no problem, but when changing back, all I get is the chip sound freezes, and all three channels keep playing the same note. Going back to SNDH "un-freezes" them and it plays no problem, so the problem is that probably the chip is left in some state that doesn't allow the mod sounds to come out, I don't know...

Anyways, I'll fiddle with it a bit more...

bp
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

REMINDER:
6 days left until deadline. Hope there will be some more screens.

And a problem: due to an surprise university duty, I've less time then expected to spend on the project. The shell is in the making but I'll lack the time to finish an intro screen. If anyone of you is interested, then tell me. Only restriction for intro screen would be STFM only in any case, rest would be the same as for the screens. We could do without but I think some sort of intro effect before the screen selection might be interesting and nice.

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Orion_ »

sent !
Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

posted!

Post by Mr Nours »

Hi AFcoders,

My part is posted to simonsunnyboy. Highly optimized asm made in a couple of hours... :lol:
______
Fuzion, the best french Atari CD crew ->The Fuzion Shrine!
ST emulation and more ->Emulation Atari ST(fr)!
Scheme
Atarian
Atarian

Mines completed !!

Post by Scheme »

Woohooo
something finished at last, major thanks to simon sunnyboy for the test of skill.
so much cut out of my STOS demo...
maybe release another version at a later date :)

over and out
scheme
Life is like a box of chocolates, the women take the caramel ones and the rest are taken by those that feel they deserve them, leaving you that dodgy truffle thing that nobody likes...
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

I'm sure I have somewhere an old (commercial .. oops!) routine that converted a sound-tracker song format into a YM2149 replay routine .. not sure if it's legit to have it or if it's still in use.

Can't honestly remember where or how I got hold of it .. but, if someone needs it let me know.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
mr.man
Atari User
Atari User

Post by mr.man »

Hi Simon Sunnyboy,

Do you need any music for the intro or menu or loading screen? I'm prepared to submit some original music for them if required. Please let me know asap what format you want them in, if you want them at all :)

Regards,
mr.man
-
mr.man@asmr.net
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

@Mr.man Thanks for your offer. Problem is that I have no time to code an intro for the demo, just the menu (for which I already have some music).

This one is still not yet finished. As I told you before, I have some university assignments to do and time for Atari is sparse.
As the deadline is over..I only got 2 more screens so far so we have atm only 7.
And: GT Turbo asked for some more time, I personally would let him as the demo ain't finished. What do you ppl think about some deadline stretching? As for those who where in time, this would apply for you too so you might work some more on your parts if you want to.
Main thing is: I can't tell you at the present date when the demo will be finished and released.

If anyone who thinks his screen is finished but who wants to do an intro screen then you're ofcourse welcome. Same restrictions as for the screens but it should be STFM only.

In any respect thanks to all of you who have contributed so far!

Stay cool, stay Atari!

bpadinha
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by bpadinha »

Personally, a one or two-week stretch would be lovely, to see if I could include a much better quality rendition of Mr.Man's tunes...

bp
mr.man
Atari User
Atari User

Post by mr.man »

Hi,

This is to anyone who takes on the task of coding the intro for the forum-demo. If you need any music (PT or SSD format) then contact me here or by email asap with details like size constraints and style, and I'll get to work on some muzexx for it. Also, any other demo coders who are shy of a piece of music for their production contact me and I'll try and help out, especially if we're having a 2 week extension ;)

Regards,
mr.man
-
mr.man@asmr.net
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

OK, let's strech the deadline for 2 weeks:
very last date is now May 14 2004.
Anyone who has contributed sofar may submit yet-another version of his screen.
And I still need an intro screen :)

Stay cool, stay Atari!

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Orion_ »

perfect :) I needed some times to optimize more my scrolling rout ^^
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

mr.man wrote:Hi Simon Sunnyboy,

Do you need any music for the intro or menu or loading screen? I'm prepared to submit some original music for them if required. Please let me know asap what format you want them in, if you want them at all :)

Regards,
mr.man
Considering the "new" deadline myself, i think I'll do at least a simple intro, mainly some text to read.
If you still want to do some music, then i'd prefer a SSD tune perhaps trance style or the like.
If you want to help out, drop me a mail.

@Brume: Got your priv. msg. Let's have a talk on that in IRC if possible.

Stay cool, stay Atari!

mr.man
Atari User
Atari User

Post by mr.man »

Hi SimonSunnyBoy,

Trance is not my usual style, but I'll give it a go over the next couple of days :? . Please let me know where to send the finished song.

Regards,
mr.man
-
mr.man@asmr.net
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

mr.man wrote: Trance is not my usual style, but I'll give it a go over the next couple of days :? . Please let me know where to send the finished song.
Do whatever you please. If it ain't perfect trance, it will still sound ages better as when I'd try to track some tune ;)

Just drop me a mail at simonsunnyboy@atari-forum.com when finished.

Stay cool, stay Atari!

mr.man
Atari User
Atari User

Post by mr.man »

Hi Simon Sunnyboy,

I've emailed you an SSD tune for you to use. Please let me know if it's ok.

Regards,
mr.man
-
mr.man@asmr.net
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

Check your mail mate :)
I recieved it and it is great :D

Stay cool, stay Atari!

Return to “Coding”