Power LED

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Lektroid
Atariator
Atariator

Power LED

Post by Lektroid »

My power light is dead and I'm experiencing the beeping keyboard - I presume the beeping keyboard is related to the LED issue, as I've stripped down and cleaned the keybed fully. I went to replace the LED, but it is not the usual 3mm standard, it is also not as tall. Anyone know where I can buy LEDs to fit the ST keyboard?
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Power LED

Post by calimero »

I need also LED but for floppy (I assume they are the same)
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X
DoG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by DoG »

I think they are 2mm LEDs, otherwise you can enlarge the hole with a 3mm drill. Just snip of the legs if they are to long.

You can have a broken LED with a working keyboard. If the keyboard is not sending anything or not connected it will click frequently so check that you actually got 5V on the keyboard and voltage where the LED goes. Check connector for continuity between keyboard PCB and motherboard.

2mm LED can be found anywhere I suppose. Mouser, Farnell, DigiKey, RSComponents, eBay, Alibaba, BangGood, Amazon...
tzok
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by tzok »

They are 3 mm LEDs, with a thin "flange", like Kingbright L-7104.

Yet, this LED in not software controlled by any means. It is bound to the +5V rail through a resistor. So the LED is not your problem. Keyboard works just fine without them.
sety
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by sety »

They seem to be a bit more unique than an off the shelf 3mm LED. They look like a much older desgin.
kb-led.jpg
Most of mine are borked. If anyone knows of a source please let me know!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ATARI FALCON/CT60 @99/25Mhz 512MB - ATARI FALCON/CT60e @77/16Mhz 512MB - 520STF 1MB TF68020 - 520ST unmodified (my very first computer) - A couple of useless XE's - and a really cool Atari desktop calculator :)
Lektroid
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Lektroid »

tzok wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:04 am They are 3 mm LEDs, with a thin "flange", like Kingbright L-7104.
I have hundreds of 3mm LEDs of various colours, designs & manufacturers, (I build modular synthesizers & various music gear, so I buy bulk of stuff like LEDs)... The Atari ones are definitely not standard 3mm Kingbright. I would prefer not to have to re-bore the holes, but if needs must I'll have to. I just thought I'd check here first.
tzok
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by tzok »

I was replacing yellow and green LEDs in the newer type keyboard, with two red LEDs to match an older case. I haven't bored any holes, the 3 mm "flangeless" LEDs fitted just fine.

Here's the proof:
Lektroid
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Lektroid »

You are right. I filed the flange off and they fit perfectly. I used white LEDs rather than the standard green, I did try blue, but against the off-grey they looked weird. Most white or blue LEDs are superbright so if you decide to do this you'll need to change the 200Ω current limiting resistor if you don't want to burn out your retinas, I used my decade resistance substitution box to get to 6.8KΩ, but since I'm a dumbass, I never took into account the brightness drop of the lenses, so around 4.7KΩ should be about right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mpattonm »

Thats one nice looking machine BTW
tzok
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by tzok »

Looks very nice, but isn't it too light (the case)? Was it painted or retrobrighted?
Lektroid
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Lektroid »

tzok wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:46 am Looks very nice, but isn't it too light (the case)? Was it painted or retrobrighted?
Yes, I did retrobright it. However, the photo makes it look lighter than it really is; it is in fact just perfect in real life. I do need to brighten up the LEDs a touch though, I went in a bit heavy with the current limiting resistors.

Return to “Hardware”