Atari STe SD card reader on the Extended Joystick Port

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

DoG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Atari STe SD card reader on the Extended Joystick Port

Post by DoG »

Really nice!
ccarl84
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by ccarl84 »

Orion_ wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:38 am ok I finally succeeded in adding the write function to the driver.
I will now try to add additional partitions features and release the new driver next week
Hi Orion, [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_17.gif]

Did you manage to make THE new driver ?

:coffe:

Bonne journée :mrgreen:
Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Orion_ »

Here is the final release, the driver can now write data to the SD card, and it support up to 4 partitions of type "primary" on your SD card.
Each partition will be matched to any available drive on your Atari (for example: C/D/E/F)
Each partition must be 32Mbytes maximum and formated using the FAT16 file system. (or 2Gbytes if you use "bigdos")
So that's about 8Gbytes available on your Atari ! (at 20kbytes/s :D )
Enjoy: http://onorisoft.free.fr/atari/sdextjoy.zip
There is some instability when using read/write feature on large file (for example, file copy under TOS) the mouse cursor starts to make strange things and noise, that's because I disable interruptions to get faster speed, so I might enable interruptions to get more stability but you will get much lower speed (and the current 20kbytes/s is already slow ...)
My retro games shop including Atari ST/Falcon/Firebee games ! -- Free Atari games/demos/tools -- Free Falcon demos/tools
Atari Mega STe 4MB + SD2SCSI 1GB + NOVA ET4000 + Pico PSU + Gotek HxC // Atari STe 2MB
ccarl84

Post by ccarl84 »

Je vais tester ça ce soir Orion_ ...
Good Job.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I_am_I
Atariator
Atariator

Post by I_am_I »

Excellent! Thanks for your work, Orion.
wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by wietze »

The latest version does no longer detect the sdcard on my ste; while the previous version does.

The latest version of at boot time gives me:

Reading MBR: Ok
Reading BPB: Error

This is with one 31mb FAT 16 primary partition on the sdcard (16gb total size).
bjkock
Atarian
Atarian

Post by bjkock »

I get the same result as wietze with the new version.
The old version works and finds the SD card and I can read from it, but the new version gives me:

It's a STE with 4MB and I get the same result in both 1.62 and 2.06
DoG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by DoG »

Same for me, not working. I ran it from HD with HDDriver. FAT16 primary 31Mb. 16 Gb SDHC card.

Ran from desktop:

Ran from auto folder:
SD Init: Error

Maybe try from floppy/Gotek? I don't have the old version to try.
Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Orion_ »

I think the problem is the SDHC high capacity cards that are handled differently, it might be a little bug I need to chase out
My retro games shop including Atari ST/Falcon/Firebee games ! -- Free Atari games/demos/tools -- Free Falcon demos/tools
Atari Mega STe 4MB + SD2SCSI 1GB + NOVA ET4000 + Pico PSU + Gotek HxC // Atari STe 2MB
Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Orion_ »

ok It was a stupid mistake, accessing the sd_type variable using word instead of byte ..
anyway, the driver might work correctly now, please download the corrected version at the same URL link :)
driver v1.2b http://onorisoft.free.fr/atari/sdextjoy.zip
DoG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by DoG »

Tried but it didn't work. Tried from HD first and then from floppy without and HDDriver loaded but it didn't make any difference. Both from desktop and auto folder.

I don't have any microSD non-SDHC card at home, but I can probably get one tomorrow and try out a 2Gb card instead.

EDIT: Found a old 2Gb card but it doesn't work any better. I have to check solder/connection.
Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Orion_ »

You tried on ste or falcon ?
The driver was made and optimized for ste, I don't have a falcon so I can't tell if it will work on this machine
But due to cycle optimized assembly routine specialy made for 8mhz 68000 to read data from the SD card, I bet it won't work well on falcon due to faster 68030 and its cache
wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by wietze »

I'll test right after breakfast. But it sounded like some regression, since it initially worked and now no longer. Will report asap.
DoG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by DoG »

I used a STe for the test.
wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by wietze »

Version 1.2 detects the sdcard and its partitions \o/.

- I am able to view contents of .txt files correctly
- I am not able to run programs from the sdcard currently
- I am not able to access A:\ after I am in GEM desktop (it shows empty drive, no floppy diska access)

I will retry with a single partition on the SDCard and see if I can access A:\ properly (and if so, test running programs from sdcard and writing to sdcard).
wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by wietze »

Using a single 31mb fat16 partition on a 16gb sdcard, I can confirm that after loading the driver from A:\ reaching GEM desktop, A:\ is no longer active/readable (shows no contents, whereas it contains the driver etc in A:\AUTO), and executing (some) .TOS files make them bomb out (varying from 2 to many bombs). When I execute for example 256 byte .TOS code, some work, some dont.
Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Orion_ »

I don't know which machine you are using or what other programs are in memory
but on my STe from bare TOS 1.62, I can run large programs from the SD card, and I can access the A: even after loading driver from A:\AUTO at boot
wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by wietze »

Orion_ wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:28 am I don't know which machine you are using or what other programs are in memory
but on my STe from bare TOS 1.62, I can run large programs from the SD card, and I can access the A: even after loading driver from A:\AUTO at boot
Atari ste 4mb 1.6 uk tos. There are no programs in memory, other than loading the driver from a:\

I have 2 more ste I can check with. But the v1 driver works as intended (on the same machine, single partitin on the 16gb sd card)
wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by wietze »

I confirm same behaviour on 2nd atari ste; 4mb 1.62 uk tos, clean boot. After loading driver and init sd, in gem, i can read the sdcard but reading A:\
gives no files and 0 bytes. and programs ran from sdcard bomb out.
DoG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by DoG »

Bought a new SD card reader since I can't bother to desolder my adapter board with 15 pin VGA connector on it already. Seemed that I didn't had great connections as I measured and didn't have 5V on the pins on the SD card module. Because now it says error all the time, so it doesn't even initiate/find the module any more. I got TOS 2.06 on my STe by the way.

So will do the pins to cable and directly into the ext port as in the video instead.

By the way. Is there any testprograms for the enhanced port? I got jagpad to test with. Or just a game? So that I know that the port is actually working.
DoG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by DoG »

Hmm. Got it to work now. Used another STe with TOS 1.62 swe instead of the first one which ran TOS 2.06 swe.

From cold boot with v1.2b in auto folder I get an init error. But it installs from desktop. Can read txt files and run SYSINFO fine. Cannot write desktop.inf. Says it doesn't have room on drive. Used a single 31Mb primary partition on both a 16Gb card and on a 2Gb card. Both worked.

When exiting SYSINFO the A drive is reading no icons. However I can access them and run it from drive B (only one drive attached) so nothing is wrong there.
Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Orion_ »

the first version was made partly in C language and asm, I decided to redo it 100% in asm for speed, but it should behave the same as the first version and I don't understand why it doesn't work on your machine since I have the same setup and it's working fine on my machine ...
(I start the driver at boot from A:\AUTO, I start SYSINFO from the SD card, and other program, and it work just fine, I still have access to A: )
I'm not really an expert of Atari system, so I don't know if my xbios driver hook up is made correctly.
I won't have access to my STe for month now, and I'm a bit tired of working on this project (4 months of work so far) so if anyone who have better understanding of Atari system and have some time to dig in the bugs, feel free to check the new version I just uploaded with the GPL source included.
wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by wietze »

Awesome orion_, I will look into it! Would you please include the v1 software as well for reference for me?
Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Orion_ »

the v1 version is here (not optimized, no multi partition, no write)
http://onorisoft.free.fr/atari/sdextjoy_C.zip
ccarl84

Post by ccarl84 »

ccarl84 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:27 pm Je vais tester ça ce soir Orion_ ...
Good Job.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Bonsoir,

Cela fonctionne très bien !!

well done !!

Return to “Hardware”