(SOLVED) Falcon needs reset to boot after power-on

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

theimann
Atari freak
Atari freak

(SOLVED) Falcon needs reset to boot after power-on

Post by theimann »

Hi all,

My Falcon (030 stock) started having issues recently, it would not boot after power up.
The power LED turns on, but no Floppy access / RAM check, it's just dead silent.

At some point I realised that it does boot after I press the reset button. And then it runs fine.
So I thought it might be PSU related, and did replace the PSU with a new one from exxos. Still had the same issue.
After some time the reset button trick worked less reliably. And the Falcon showed signs of NVRAM failure.
So I replaced the NVRAM chip with a replacement kit from exxos and did a NVRAM reset afterwards.

Now I'm back to the point where the Falcon reliably boots if I hit the reset button.
I can totally live with this, but I'm concerned about another regression.

I've searched several Atari forums thoroughly but haven't come across this kind of issue yet.
I'd be thankful for any advice.

Regards
Tom
Last edited by theimann on Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atari 520ST | Atari 1040ST | Atari Mega 1 | Atari 1040STE | Atari MegaSTE | Atari TT 030 | Atari Falcon 030
theimann
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Falcon needs reset to boot after power-on

Post by theimann »

Things I can rule out:

- It's not the RAM (tried several boards)
- It's not the FPU (the only modification I put in the Falcon)
- Disconnecting FDD/HDD (CF) did not seem to make any difference
Atari 520ST | Atari 1040ST | Atari Mega 1 | Atari 1040STE | Atari MegaSTE | Atari TT 030 | Atari Falcon 030
mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Falcon needs reset to boot after power-on

Post by mpattonm »

One of the capacitors in reset circuit has dried to the point it lost some of the capacity and it it is no longer holding reset line down long enough till 5V power line is up, stable and all bus transceivers ready. Its pretty common and well known issue.

EDIT: Its C7 that needs to replaced, preferably with higher capacity (someone suggests 22uF) . Anyway, the reason your exoss PSU did not help is mentioned in this thread here: https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=23&t=755 Basically, it has very slow 5V rail ramp-up.
theimann
Atari freak
Atari freak

(SOLVED) Re: Falcon needs reset to boot after power-on

Post by theimann »

Thanks! I heard about the reset circuitry issues but (wrongly) assumed that it ought to be fine since the reset switch worked.
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: (SOLVED) Falcon needs reset to boot after power-on

Post by mikro »

Sturm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Sturm »

I have the same problem, but only in 060 mode with my CT60e. No problem in 030 mode. Using a Pico Psu.
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by calimero »

Sturm wrote:I have the same problem, but only in 060 mode with my CT60e. No problem in 030 mode. Using a Pico Psu.
Me too. But I can live with that (pressing reset after power on)... :)
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

calimero wrote:
Sturm wrote:I have the same problem, but only in 060 mode with my CT60e. No problem in 030 mode. Using a Pico Psu.
Me too. But I can live with that (pressing reset after power on)... :)
Mine too, the CT63 was like that since day one.
The repair advice that Mikro posted was known back then but I am no hardware guy so I just press the reset button couple of times to get it to work.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Return to “Hardware”