ST / STE power supply works but outputs high voltage on 5V and 12V rail - why?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

ST / STE power supply works but outputs high voltage on 5V and 12V rail - why?

Post by Chandler »

I've seen a few power supplies like this in the past and would like to try and find the cause of this problem

I've seen it on both the STF / STFM Atari ASP34-2 and STFM / STE DSP 508A power supplies

The power supply works BUT outputs a higher or very high voltage on the 5V rail, eg: i have one that outputs 10V on the 5V rail !! the same PSU outputs 22V on the 12V rail !! 8O

But what components have failed? to cause this
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: ST / STE power supply works but outputs high voltage on 5V and 12V rail - why?

Post by mikro »

Is it under load?
Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Re: ST / STE power supply works but outputs high voltage on 5V and 12V rail - why?

Post by Chandler »

Yes
sety
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by sety »

Q3 TL431 or something in that area?
ATARI FALCON/CT60 @99/25Mhz 512MB - ATARI FALCON/CT60e @77/16Mhz 512MB - 520STF 1MB TF68020 - 520ST unmodified (my very first computer) - A couple of useless XE's - and a really cool Atari desktop calculator :)
mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mpattonm »

Chandler wrote:But what components have failed? to cause this
Elyte capacitors.
Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Chandler »

I should have mentioned that I have changed all can type capacitors and on this psu also the TL431
Altstar
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Altstar »

Have you checked the resistors for reference / feedback for the TL431?
siriushardware
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by siriushardware »

Also possibly the feedback optocoupler?
Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Chandler »

OK i found R9 (120R) resistor dead
siriushardware
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by siriushardware »

I think I'll write that on my circuit diagram, quite a deadly fault, in terms of the damage it could do to the ST, STe.
Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Chandler »

siriushardware wrote:I think I'll write that on my circuit diagram, quite a deadly fault, in terms of the damage it could do to the ST, STe.
So do you think it would be safe to test the PSU now? obviously not connected to an ST but under load
siriushardware
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by siriushardware »

If you have replaced the resistor, yes, test it with loads (but definitely not in an ST or STe yet). What are you using for loads for the +5V and +12V? chunky resistors? Light bulbs?
Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Chandler »

Light bulb
siriushardware
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by siriushardware »

OK then, give it a go and see what output voltages it delivers (a) with no load and (b) with a lamp load. Is this one of the versions which has an adjustment preset on it, or one of the ones where the 'adjustment' is set by fixed resistors?
Altstar
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Altstar »

An old CDROM drive (with an adapter) works well too
Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Chandler »

siriushardware wrote:OK then, give it a go and see what output voltages it delivers (a) with no load and (b) with a lamp load. Is this one of the versions which has an adjustment preset on it, or one of the ones where the 'adjustment' is set by fixed resistors?
It's the Atari PSU ASP34-2 with fixed resistors (yes i have tested those also)
siriushardware
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by siriushardware »

Altstar wrote:An old CDROM drive (with an adapter) works well too
Not in this case, I presume you read that the PSU in question was originally producing gross overvoltage on both rails? If it is still doing so after replacement of the failed resistor then any 'smart' load, like a CD-ROM drive or HDD would be instant toast.

That's why the process is to try it with no load, then a 'dumb' load like a 6V motororcyle lamp (for the 5V output). It shouldn't be alllowed near any kind of computer hardware until it is definitely producing the right output voltages first.

Return to “Hardware”