Allocating drive letters after reformatting

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

david etheridge
Atari User
Atari User

Allocating drive letters after reformatting

Post by david etheridge »

Hi folks,
I decided to reformat my hard drives to tidy things up and have had great fun with it.
I saved all my data from 2 540MB conner drives to Syquest EZ drives - no problem. Then came the fun part. On rebooting my tower system (which also has a built n EZ drive) firstly my MegaSTE wouldn't see the Conners, then it wouldn't see anything over SCSI! 8O
It turned out to be the AdSCSI card where the ribbon cable decided to slip out from the connector on the AdSCSI card. All is now fine.
However, using ICD software, a scan shows the SCSI drives, but some of them are blank as regards drives/partition letters available on the desktop.
It read something like this:
SCSI 0: C D
SCSI 1: (blank)
SCSI: 2 E F G H I
SCSI 3: (blank)
How do I fill in the blanks and what program do I need to use to do this?

Many thanks in advance,
David
4M MegaSTE, 2 x 4M Stes, STFM, Notator Unitor, Log 3 and 26 hardware synths including 12 Kurzweil 1000s.
AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Allocating drive letters after reformatting

Post by AdamK »

Hddriver can do it.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]
david etheridge
Atari User
Atari User

Many thanks - I'll try it tomorrow.
4M MegaSTE, 2 x 4M Stes, STFM, Notator Unitor, Log 3 and 26 hardware synths including 12 Kurzweil 1000s.
david etheridge
Atari User
Atari User

I found out that SCSI drive 1 being back was due to formatting the entire 540MB as one partition, and ICDformat simply didn't like it at all. Formatting with 2 partitions cured it, but it's still not adding letters to my second Syquets drive, even though it recognises it as SCSI 3. Will HDdriver sort that out? I've seen other folks elsewhere claiming that HDdriver can give problems. Anyone know?
On another tack, my other STE has two Syquest EZdrives, but has now started refusing to give the details on the second drive: When I put in a new cart, I don't get the 'disk change' message, and clicking on any partition comes up with the data of the old drive that I've just removed! I've tried shuttig down and restarting,but something if defintely awry. I haven't changed anything on the first drive that has the boot partition. Anyone know more?
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

You are probably hitting the limitation of data partition size for ICDpro at 540MB. I think it is up to 512MB only but I would max it at 511MB for good measures.
I do not know if there is any limitation for the 1st partition, I think it depends on your TOS version. I would try 1st partion 30MB and then 2nd partition as 510MB - that would use up all the 540MB size of your scsci drive 1. Normally the boot partition is safe to be around 30MB but I know your scsi 1 drive is not the boot partition, but who knows what sort of limitation does TOS has.

I am using Falcon nowadays so I do not remembr much for TOS less than 3.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

david etheridge wrote: When I put in a new cart, I don't get the 'disk change' message, and clicking on any partition comes up with the data of the old drive that I've just removed! I've tried shuttig down and restarting,but something if defintely awry.
Not sure whats going on, but does press the ESC key to force re-read of the TOC work?
May be there is a force media change program but maybe that is for floppy only, i can;t remember.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

From hddriver FAQ:
TOS 1.00-1.02 supports partitions of up to 256 MiB, TOS 1.04-3.06 of up to 512 MiB, TOS 4.0x of up to 1 GiB. These sizes are also valid for boot partitions and TOS/Windows compatible partitions. With MagiC or Big-DOS the non-boot partition size can be up to 2 GiB. In addition MiNT and MagiC support filesystems (FAT32/ext2) that do not have any relevant size limits.

Return to “Hardware”