External hard drive - spins down when ST starts up!

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

External hard drive - spins down when ST starts up!

Post by Chandler »

Been trying to set up a Quantum Fireball 540S on a TT

If i connect the hard drive to power only it will spin up and stay spinning all day

If when i connect it to the 50 pin ribbon cable and start the TT, as soon as the memory tests are completed and the TT looks at either the floppy drive or hard drive, the hard drive spins down

If i restart the TT the drive then spins up again, the TT won't boot from the hard drive

I have partitioned the drive and installed HD Driver and the drive is all good there

The hard drive has only a few jumpers: PK / TE / A0 / A1 / A2 (PK is a spare / TE is Terminate Enable / A0/A1/A2 are for SCSI ID)

I have only jumpered TE and the drive does the same spinning up and down with the jumper both on or off

It's as though the Atari turns off the hard drive as it spins down at exactly the same point when the TT boots

Any ideas? :)
Arne
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: External hard drive - spins down when ST starts up!

Post by Arne »

IIRC you have to patch TOS :(
This effect seems to have something to do with SCSI target initiator identification.
Do you know about the TOS patch collection from Markus Heiden?
https://www.markusheiden.de/atari/tospatch.html
What TOS are you using? 3.06UK, 3.06US... ?

Code: Select all

;*******************************************************************************
;* SE:
;* Initiatoridentification beim SCSI-Zugriff, TT meldet sich als ID 7
;* Damit kann auch von Quantum Empire u.„. gebootet werden.
;* [ALL]

.SCSI_ID = 0        ;1: Patch einbinden, 0: Patch nicht einbinden

_IF .SCSI_ID
 1C40 $70,80
_ENDIF
Translation: Initiator identification enabled with SCSI accesses. TT returns ID7.
That way it is possible to boot from Quantum Empire...

I guess your Fireball is affected by that, too.

Edit: I had a look into DE,FR,PL,SE,UK,US versions of 3.06. Location $E01C40 is always the same for all 3.06. If you need help doing the patch tell me.
Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Chandler »

Thanks for the reply

Never heard of this before, i have used other Quantums without issue but they were not the "Fireball" variation

I tried the drive on a standard STE and same problem, spins down at exactly the same point

So how on earth do you install this TOS patch?
Arne
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Arne »

I have a Quantum ProDrive LPS270 which doesn't require that patch either.
It's not related to certain manufacturers. I think this requirement later came up with SCSI evolution but I'm not sure.

Anyway: doing the patch is straight forward:
  • download the 3.06 TOSPatch collection from Markus Heiden's homepage (link above)
  • unzip it and put TOSPATCH.TTP and the SCSI.FIL
    SCSI.ZIP
    onto a blank floppy disk or any mass media you have access to on your TT
  • fire up the TT
  • drag & drop SCSI.FIL onto TOSPATCH.TTP and let it do its work (it reads out the TOS currently running (ROM), patches it, calculates the new CRC and writes the split files onto disk
  • finally it will have saved 4 files into its own directory
  • these files are all 128KB long and fit into one 27C1001/27C010 EPROM each
  • program each file into an EPROM and swap them for your current 3.06 EPROMs
  • Well done ;-)
In the end you should see something like this:

"Taste drücken" = press any key

Only thing I changed for testing the SCSI.FIL is in line 58:
.NATION = .FRG

Yours should be IMHO
.NATION = .UK

Good thing is: if you already have a patched 3.06 in some way then the patches survive the new patch run.
If you can't do that patching then PM me and I can send you the 3.06 EPROMs (UK, US,...)

BTW: you posted this in the ST section of the forum and used "ST" in the headline.
BTW2: If you start HDDRIVER.PRG from FDD it will probably give you access to the Empire HDD, won't it?

Edit: now I am pretty sure you need this patch: last paragraph of first post in http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=24959 or http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 18#p123434
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hardware”