Atari Falcon is born again as F030NG

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Atari Falcon is born again as F030NG

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

Truly a new era! Cheers! :cheers:
nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by nagual »

Finally a chance to have true Atari without robing the bank (I hope so!) :D :D :D :D :D

Anyway, great, great work:-)

Cheers! :cheers:
mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mpattonm »

In order to facilitate communication I have created a Discord server (F030NG) where you can discuss all development aspects. Please use this invitation link: https://discord.gg/jRaXBVc
By the way, should you be interested in joining prototyping phase, drop a note at #prototyping channel
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

Looking at the readme: https://github.com/salacpavel/F030NG

I'm wondering:
* how much of the current Falcon SW should be expected to work on it?
* how much new drivers are needed for it, and who's expected to write those (for TOS, MiNT, Linux...)?
* Is it supposed to be as compatible as CT40 & CT60 were?

I started to think of this mainly after seeing "much faster DSP with four times more on-board memory", and lack of specifics...

I don't think anybody's going to write DSP code for it, unless it's compatible to original 56001 at least at instruction level (which among other things means that DSP code can be debugged in Hatari).

Additionally, many of the current DSP using Falcon SW needs pretty accurate CPU <-> GPU run-rate, otherwise they deadlock because other side isn't providing the data when expected.

Also, while EmuTOS is nowadays a good ROM for new semi-compatible Atari machines, it's still completely lacking hi-color & DSP TOS functions support. :-/
Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Marakatti »

Looking forward to this as a potentional customer, but losing STe joystick ports is a real drawback for everyone who wants to play Falcon games.
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------
dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by dbsys »

Eero Tamminen wrote:Looking at the readme: https://github.com/salacpavel/F030NG

I'm wondering:
* how much of the current Falcon SW should be expected to work on it?
* how much new drivers are needed for it, and who's expected to write those (for TOS, MiNT, Linux...)?
* Is it supposed to be as compatible as CT40 & CT60 were?

I started to think of this mainly after seeing "much faster DSP with four times more on-board memory", and lack of specifics...

I don't think anybody's going to write DSP code for it, unless it's compatible to original 56001 at least at instruction level (which among other things means that DSP code can be debugged in Hatari).

Additionally, many of the current DSP using Falcon SW needs pretty accurate CPU <-> GPU run-rate, otherwise they deadlock because other side isn't providing the data when expected.

Also, while EmuTOS is nowadays a good ROM for new semi-compatible Atari machines, it's still completely lacking hi-color & DSP TOS functions support. :-/
Very good points.

Referring F030NG to the classic Atari Falcon might be misleading and will probably set the wrong expectations. F030NG is a completely new machine which was based on functionality of the classic Falcon, no more, no less. Specific Falcon 030 software especially making use of the DSP, such as audio and graphics and rendering applications will probably not work at all on the new F030NG. Also, specific drivers for the Atari Falcon might need to be rewritten or at least adapted.

Do not get me wrong, I have highest regards for mpattomn's engineering efforts and results. It is stunning what he has achieved!
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

Can the holes for the cartridge port at least be put in the pcb please, so if I wanted to take a cartridge connector from an old ST I could move it over and solder it in.
TomH
Atari User
Atari User

Post by TomH »

Eero Tamminen wrote:I started to think of this mainly after seeing "much faster DSP with four times more on-board memory", and lack of specifics...

Per F030NG_R01_clockdesign.pdf, the new machine incorporates an 80Mhz DSP56303, which is the third generation of the same family as the original's 56001; its data sheet describes it as "[o]bject code compatible with the DSP56000 core" so it should be compatible at an instruction level. It'll just be a lot faster.

I couldn't actually figure out what the CPU is, but I dare imagine it wouldn't offer a path to replicating the original timing exactly anyway?

Return to “Hardware”