MFP internals

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

MFP internals

Post by slingshot »

Is there any information available about the internal timings of the MFP? Most importantly interrupt delays?
Just did an experiment with some bottom border removing demo + FPGA. To work properly, some delay must happen between DE asserted and the Timer B interrupt. But what would be the exact value? I assume that must be some timer clock cycles (even if the event counting mode doesn't really use the timer xtal).
neanderthal
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: MFP internals

Post by neanderthal »

Semi old one this one..but interesting question.Never thought about it..I would quess it would depend on CLK4 or something? Ie when TBI is latched into internal circuitry of MFP..was a good while since read the docus about MFP.
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

I've experimented a lot in Verilog with this, seems the interrupt itself is not delayed too much, but the external timer input to the timer output is. Demos started to work correctly when I applied a 8 MFP clock (4Mhz) delay to the input. I don't say it's the correct behavior, but works so far. From my POV the MFP datasheet is ambiguous in this question (as datasheets usually behave).
TomH
Atari User
Atari User

Post by TomH »

Sorry, late revival: I'm unclear what your 4Mhz number is meant to describe, but I think the main hint in the MFP data sheet is "To count [event] transitions reliably, the input must remain in each state (1/O) for a length of time equal to four periods of the timer clock ; thus signals of a frequency up to one fourth of the timer clock can be counted" which implies a delay for event counting of something greater than 3 and less than 4 cycles.

In an ST the MFP is clocked at 2,457,600Mhz.
Gunstick
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Gunstick »

As the MFP has a different quartz than the rest of the ST, I guess that there may be random delays. Most emulators set a fixed ratio between the 2 quartz but in fact they are diverging and can even drift with temperature. But the overscan points are not that precise, you can be 4-8 clock cycles off.

Maybe I could write a test program which displays color changes for synced code, timer interrupt and hbl interrupt positions?
slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Post by slingshot »

Gunstick wrote:As the MFP has a different quartz than the rest of the ST, I guess that there may be random delays. Most emulators set a fixed ratio between the 2 quartz but in fact they are diverging and can even drift with temperature. But the overscan points are not that precise, you can be 4-8 clock cycles off.

Maybe I could write a test program which displays color changes for synced code, timer interrupt and hbl interrupt positions?
I would be very thankful for that. Currently I calibrated the DE-to timer interrupt delay to make bottom border opening effects happy (and the rest of the MFP using your DSOTS demo - since it has a very long running timer and has to fire its irq at a precise location), but having a test program for this would be the best. This kind of test would show the jitter introduced by the CPU-MFP async clocks.

Return to “Hardware”