Atari 520 ST not reorganize floppy drive

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

RygarST
Atarian
Atarian

Atari 520 ST not reorganize floppy drive

Post by RygarST »

Hi all,

I finally bought one of the first version of Atari 520ST without internal floppy drive. He came with an external drive SF314 and come with old German GEM TOS. The problems is computer wont reorganize floppy drive. I have two floppy drive icons but when i put floppy disk in drive and click on floppy icon (A or B) i only see error message on German, without sound like when floppy try reading floppy disk. Ok, i was think the floppy drive is not working and i bought new Gotek floppy drive emulator. First i try Gotek on my Amiga and everything work good, but on Atari i have the same problem like with original floppy drive. Also i try PC floppy drive but not working. I check again, and everything is connect good, also i test cable and drive conection with multimetar and it looks good.
I do not know what i have to do. I hear somewhere that old German TOS can be a problem, did i need EOROM update?
tzok
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Atari 520 ST not reorganize floppy drive

Post by tzok »

There were a lot of DE TOS 520STs in Germany and in Poland and they were working... so it is not the reason. Does the floppy motor star when you try to access the A:? Is the FDD LED lit?
RygarST
Atarian
Atarian

Post by RygarST »

No, i do not hear floppy motor when i try access to the drive A, and then FDD LED not lit. I am not sure did the SF314 drive is working but it is strange why Gotek emulator drive is not working. I forgot say when i turn on Atari without floppy drive he turn in the moment but i do not have floppy drive icons on desktop. But when i connect floppy drive and turn on atari i have to wait white screen about 30-40 seconds to enter in desktop, and then i have floppy drives icons.
Did is possible that board of SF314 drive is not working or some chips on motherboard?
1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by 1024MAK »

When you power on an Atari ST, the OS tries to find a boot file on an attached floppy drive. After a while if it can't find a boot file, it will start the GEM Desktop. If the OS can't detect a floppy disk drive, it does not bother looking for a boot file and goes straight to the desktop.

Unmodified Atari ST machines expect a double density (DD) floppy disk, as they can't read high density (HD) disks. So is your Gotek programmed as emulating DD or HD disks?

Mark
Falcon, Atari 520ST, 520STFM, 1040STE, Mega, TT and more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's).
Visit the Atari-Forum Wiki. Lots of technical info at DrCoolZic Atari ST Site :D
RygarST
Atarian
Atarian

Post by RygarST »

I'm not sure I think it is programmed for both DD and HD. I bought Gotek on eBay, i will write what stay in descriptions:

"Compatible with well known HxC Emulator. Emulates Drive for: Amiga, Atari ST, Amstrad CPC, PC HD/DD, and many synthesizers"
Directly supports:
- ADF (Commodore Amiga)
- ADM, ADL, ADF (Acorn ADFS)
- DSK (Amstrad CPC, Spectrum +3)
- IMG/IMA (IBM MFM Raw Sector)
- OPD (Spectrum Opus Discovery)
- ST (Atari ST)
- TRD (Spectrum TR-DOS)"

I tested Gotek on Amiga 500 and everything work good. I set 000 on Gotek and Amiga boot in Emulator menue without problems.
Then i delate amiga files and copy AUTOBOOT.HFE and HXCSDFE.CFG Atari files in root on usb and put st game files in folder but didn't work. I try move jumper on S1 and S0 but nothing happens.
RygarST
Atarian
Atarian

Post by RygarST »

Is there any idea what could be a problem? Any advice is welcome.
kolli
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by kolli »

Did you twist the floppy cable for the Gotek? The connector on that device is turned 180 degrees compared to Atari floppy drive.
RygarST
Atarian
Atarian

Post by RygarST »

Ohh great finally i enter in emulator menue :-) Maybe like Kolli say I twist wrong the floppy cable for the Gotek. I do not know did this is a reason or beacuse i now use PC PSU connected now direct on gotek not trought SF314 drive. Also in meanwhile i install sound in Gotek Grive.
But i still have problem. I now have error:

LBA change test failed ! write issue ?

Gotek firmware is 1.65A 01 October 2017. Did i need update or something else is a problem.

Return to “Hardware”