In search of the answers to my NVRAM issues.

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

leech
Atari God
Atari God

In search of the answers to my NVRAM issues.

Post by leech »

So I'll go ahead and start this from the beginning, when I was in third grade...

Nah, just kidding. So my Falcon had a dead battery in it's NVRAM when I got it a while back. Time wouldn't stay and when I was trying to get it to boot into a higher video mode, it wouldn't stick after a power off.

So I ordered this; http://atari.team-yankee.net/pages/bake ... rtc-10.php

It sat on my desk along with some unopened CR2032 batteries I bought. My first attempt at getting it in was already stated in a different thread (basically didn't get the socket in quite all the way, and listed on exxos's page, I see later that he also mentions pin 12 as being a royal pain to get out, managed to do that the second time around and the socket is in there pretty nice (even though I snapped it in half, pins are all there and not touching etc.)

So after trying many different programs for doing things to nvram (official Atari config.app, an nvm_conf.prg, Uwe's bootconf, etc, I finally found these programs and tried them, finally, something that checks the RTC outside of the diagnostic cartridge ( http://atari.team-yankee.net/pages/bake ... tkit-5.php ) These are listed at the bottom, here; http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/NVRAM/index.htm

So the test cartridge actually set the date to Nov 20th 2014. And there it has stayed. And it even has kept the time (it now says 21/11/14) Every time i use the cart it changes the date to that time, says the RTC has passed though. But when I try to configure it with most other things (at least that do a crc check) it fails with an error. The rtc_chk program on Exxos' page is just giving me a bunch of ff ff ff ff, but says it's okay.

So as I suspected, it certainly seems like some sort of write protect bit, or the write pin isn't connected or something is the problem. I have read elsewhere that Time is one of the things that sort of works if it is sort of connected.

Any suggestions on this? I know there are tons of threads going on about NVRAM, but I haven't quite seen an issue exactly like this. I know one suggestion was to go through the schematic and trace the lines to see if they have any connectivity issues. And while I do own a multimeter, I have no clue where to begin to trace such things. Sadly, all I want is an accurate clock and for it to start up in a higher resolution!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)
qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Re: In search of the answers to my NVRAM issues.

Post by qq1975b »

Could it be the DS chip is not all ok?
Trying to learn...
mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by mfro »

The description mentions two dedicated pins to reset the NVRAM. Did you try them already?
leech
Atari God
Atari God

Post by leech »

I was wondering if the chip itself was bad, not sure how to verify that.

The add on board has the clear pins exposed, and I did put a jumper on there while it was powered off to clear it. I was thinking the clearing of the settings didn't need power to the system to be on, so haven't tried that.
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)
leech
Atari God
Atari God

Post by leech »

Yeah, something was clearly wrong with that board/chip/battery. Not sure if it was shorted out and ruined by the metal shielding or what the deal was, but I just replaced it with a DS12887A+ and everything seems to be working correctly. I can even change the startup resolution. Though it scared me for a bit when I tried to save the nvram with the config program on the Falcon Language disk and then my hard drive wasn't being detected / booted from! But a reset of the nvram fixed that.

Return to “Hardware”