Replacement for and Ajax info needed

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

atariancom
Atariator
Atariator

Replacement for and Ajax info needed

Post by atariancom »

Hi

One of my machines finally died, suspected HD module, anyway came across a nice late version ste with the Ajax chip fitted, and compared with another ste, it had one chip missing do they must have done something else with them. I'm digressing, so I dea was to transplant the motherboard into the case.

Simple, I damaged a component removing the psu, I've done psu removals to thousands of machines and this is the first time I caught a component. It's the L480 presumably a filter, I got a knackered mobo and bloody hell are they awkward to remove. What can I replace it with?

Now as this ste has the same chip as mega, what do I need to add high density, I know Mega is 8/16mhz to start with as I have one.
exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Replacement for and Ajax info needed

Post by exxos »

Do you mean the inductor next to the PSU connector ? Maybe you could take a image where it came from on the motherboard.

If you need HD info, I sell kits http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/floppy/index.htm The digram is on there also if you want to build your own.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator
atariancom
Atariator
Atariator

Post by atariancom »

No it's the three pin inductor in blue, just under the shield near the monitor socket near where the psu foot sits. Usual stick screw driver under board and prise the mounts right at the back out.

Will try a photo tomorrow, but the seems lots of these, presumably same component.
exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by exxos »

atariancom wrote:No it's the three pin inductor in blue, just under the shield near the monitor socket near where the psu foot sits. Usual stick screw driver under board and prise the mounts right at the back out.

Will try a photo tomorrow, but the seems lots of these, presumably same component.
oh those things, yeah, they are just small filter coils for the IO ports. Just grab one from a duff motherboard..
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
atariancom
Atariator
Atariator

Post by atariancom »

I've tried to get five out so far, they sort of disintegrate, they are so fragile and a very tight fit. Was wondering if I replaced it will new.

I got the knacker one out, well it was knackered and that came out in strips.
exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by exxos »

You may need a hotter soldering iron to remove them..

Stuff where damage to PCB isn't a problem, I would use a gas soldering iron which comes with "blower" type nozzles. This way you can heat up all 3 pads and just pull it out with pliers.

I have a hot air station so I can just blow solder out of the holes and parts just drop out 8)

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

It is such a part ?

It has three pins, simply use a wire between pin 1+3 ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE
atariancom
Atariator
Atariator

Post by atariancom »

frank.lukas wrote:Image

It is such a part ?

It has three pins, simply use a wire between pin 1+3 ...
Confused.com! Are you saying connect them together?

I keep forgetting that you can blow holes clear with a hot air station. As long as I rember rule 2, keep fingers out of stream as it hurts.
stimpy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by stimpy »

exxos wrote:You may need a hotter soldering iron to remove them..

Stuff where damage to PCB isn't a problem, I would use a gas soldering iron which comes with "blower" type nozzles. This way you can heat up all 3 pads and just pull it out with pliers.

I have a hot air station so I can just blow solder out of the holes and parts just drop out 8)
Another trick is to blob solder over all the solder joints and run the iron up and down it.
Or use a paint stripper gun to gently heat the board.
Tapping the board when the solder is liquid can clear holes as well!
Netus-Bee,Repairs,Upgrades,EtherNEC,Eiffel

Post by Guest »

just replace it with a bit of wire in too out
you can add a ferrite bead to it if you like
simply crush off the paint from one and reuse its bead.. or make a new one
from a 10nf ceramic capacitor and two recovered beads...

its a bit of wire with a grounded via a decoupling capacitor
ferrite beads
and is a parasitic filter like

in ...bead..|
gnd..cap...|
out..bead..|

if you really even need it ???
these days analogue TV and CBers cops etc around you
is gone so not so much need for this RF decoupler... as most services moved to tetra {there own phone network}
cbers are FM and LCD tv takes over from the noise machines of the past CRT lands..
when i got grounded 40 odd years ago in the past...
and sent too bed early i used to just listen to any channels TV you had three too choose from
from next doors or so channel they were watching using HF at 6mhz i could listen too the sound
not now..!!!

what worries me is the missing ic??
ill read the rest now

ok ... i would take some picture of both
if you use a decent 10MP camera set it to macro mode no flash and sit in daylight
then use paint shop prov v8 or 9 {no later}
and load and resize the file around 3MB to 29% it will yield a 200- 300K jpg
the right size for the board to load and display easily

pictures here are better

these days i would wait for jookies SSD unit too be ready .. look to jookies site and posts about it

i see no point in adding HD boards and mods too ste till this is done...
as it will come from jookie with this accepts added anyway...
atariancom
Atariator
Atariator

Post by atariancom »

The ic isn't a problem as it's designed that way. Just looks like a newer mobo. Everything works, checked it before stripping down.

Going to see if I can get this this up n running.

Post by Guest »

your quite right

leave the old st/e etc ic WD controller in place

why change it if you dont need later than tos 2.06 as you cant use in an ste
and you really dont need HD drives

as these days many interchange methods are around

there is no need of 1.44MB drives in the st or ste
what i do is simply use a windows98 boot cd and a fat32 partition on a pc hard disk
and use a mode 1 floppy drive in the pc it can accept and properly format both types of disks

then put any files you need to transfer on it
then any o/s can access it
if you use a modern 1.44MB drives
the heads are not big enough to format older disks correctly {heavy enough iron}

what i am saying is stick too what the machine level knows best if you dont want to change chips

if you must then ask bradly coda at best usa for one
he sells them for 20 bucks and 16.50$ post

C302096-001A is an ajax chip and lives in my TT revj

ask him for one and slip it in
then all you need to supply too the ic instead of 8Mhz is a 16Mhz clock
so take the clock signal too the chip and double it
you can look on vezz site http://atari4ever.free.fr/hardware/drives.html
and find a few simple circuits to double the clock
once you add an ajax it will work far better than the old redundant WD controller st ste mega etc use...

i would advise anyone with the older WD controller while they are cheep
too change out the controller if you plan to add HD drives
even jookies ssd will require it i suppose... :shrug:

you find people use the old WD controller for FDD then double the clock too it

then they say but it works but it works

yes it works but suffers from packet loss and the drive just tries again and again to get the data
and will get it

but in the process over reads the floppy and wears the whole system down

use the right chip as you know too use
a lesson for others.,...! :contract:
atariancom
Atariator
Atariator

Post by atariancom »

I changed everything over, i repaired, made the clipped ic's good, the failed motherboard just to make sure it was faulty and yep would only fire up to desktop, no floppies detected! I removed the HD mod on it and fitted it to the other, didnt bother with the old serial port mod. Just awaiting a replacement eiffel 3 board to see if that has gone down. Eiffel works nice with ultrasatan, not tried it on cosmosex yet.

The STE is a Tower case, so i got tons of space. I use HD a fair bit when it comes to transferring files around between falcon, mega ste, PC and ste (LaST pd library archiving into images). I managed to get a usb controller that isnt the type you get with usb floppy drives, i can stick a normal drive in it, was hoping that you are not stuck to the usual formats that the usual floppies are stuck with. Not tested it yet, not had time, but the idea was i could read/write msa or st files using pc. I have the top of the range, all mods etc. happy cart and kyroflux to back up copy protected disks.

In september i am starting bible college, that means i've had to give up on a lot of my computer work. Buying and selling old computer systems, tis may mean i dont need a lot of the hardware i have. But i am hoping to keep the software bit going, I want to finish transferring LaST pd to hard drive, got a lot of licenceware not available elseware at present. I have decided to shelve the bbs idea i had a long time ago, so i know some of the scsi cd drives will have to go. I've been working in computers for over 30 years and it's part of life, now a new life begins. Well for the next 2 years anyway! I'll still be around. Who knows i may go back into the tranquil art of programming again - still been trying to find 'the mockingbird' menu system i wrote in the 80's. I think it's one of those things when you get to a certain age, as i do have a few emails from writers trying to track down a copy of their software.

Steve

Return to “Hardware”