Mega STe won't boot from Hard drive with hddriver installed

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

n8-bit
Atari User
Atari User

Mega STe won't boot from Hard drive with hddriver installed

Post by n8-bit »

hi all,

So a week or so ago, my mega STe was working beautifully, I have a Zip drive installed where the hard disk normally goes. I had a Zip disk in it that had hddriver 8.13 installed. I took out the asci to scsi bridge to attempt the same mod for my Stacy. I have a parity generator built onto the circuit and have had success with it. I could not get the Stacy to recognize the Zip drive with hddriver (upgraded to 9, the newest one) I assume was the TOS in the Stacy has to be upgraded or custom. Putting the asci to SCSI bridge back in the mega STe was fine, I broke a pin on my parity generator so I fixed that. I went to put some files on the Zip disk (it's TOS/windows formatted) and the computer I was using freaked out and screwed up my disk. I went to format, partition and install hddriver back on the Zip disk and the computer will no longer boot to the hard drive. It will only boot from the hard drive if I have the hddriver disk in the floppy drive. What did I do wrong? Is there a setting I missed or a jumper I forgot to install?
The Studio:
German Atari Mega STE with custom TRON paintjob + 4 meg ram and 100 mb internal scsi zip drive + parity generator
TT030 with TRON white paintjob. CaTTamaran accelerator + 64 meg RAM.
Stacy 4 with 100 Mb Zip drive + custom parity generator.
Amiga 3000 with video toaster and zip drive.
AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Mega STe won't boot from Hard drive with hddriver installed

Post by AtariZoll »

According to symptoms you described, I guess that there is unreliable work in case, what leads to possible termination problem. So, you should ensure that drive is properly terminated.
I don't think that Stacy's TOS is the reason why it recognizes not ZIP drive.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.
n8-bit
Atari User
Atari User

Post by n8-bit »

I read in a guide I found that you should not have the Zip drive terminated. Not for the asci-SCSI bridge. It's the standard Atari one, not a nice icd one. When the Zip drive (it's an internal SCSI) has the drive termination jumper in, hddriver does not recognize it.
The Studio:
German Atari Mega STE with custom TRON paintjob + 4 meg ram and 100 mb internal scsi zip drive + parity generator
TT030 with TRON white paintjob. CaTTamaran accelerator + 64 meg RAM.
Stacy 4 with 100 Mb Zip drive + custom parity generator.
Amiga 3000 with video toaster and zip drive.
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Post by spiny »

try copying the HDDRIVER.PRG from the AUTO folder on the floppy to the SCSI disk (after you've booted from floppy of course) and rename it to HDDRIVER.SYS
It -could- be that the .SYS file on the zip disk isn't configured to scan all devices, but the one on the floppy is. Easy enough to fix if this turns out to be the problem.
arcx
Atariator
Atariator

Post by arcx »

Well it´s a good enough explanation, but I find it´s easier to just re-write uptoér and sync the other two. Do you follow? Otherwise Stacy will have some quite altered mods that might not be what you were hoping for.

Return to “Hardware”