Falcon PSU issues

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Altstar
Retro freak
Retro freak

Falcon PSU issues

Post by Altstar »

Hi,

I have a Falcon power supply here that has some issues. Once switched on I can hear a ticking noise. 5V rail is good (measured 5.11V) but the 12V rail delivers only about 7.5V. Replaced all caps (reduced the 5V ripple) but the ticking noise is still there and the 12V rail is still bad. Any suggestions what to change next?

Regards,
Christoph
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Falcon PSU issues

Post by frank.lukas »

Maybe replace the diode at the 12Volt line ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE
paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Post by paul92706 »

I had this almost same problem, my PSU would put out a high pitch ringing, it was a short circuit from Vcc to Gnd near a resistor It took me a while to trace to problem. My Falcon would not power on at all though, maybe yours is different problem. Good luck!
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI
Altstar
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Altstar »

One of the diodes on the secondary side was shot. Replaced it and the Falcon came back to life! Would now like to put FreeMint onto it :D Are there any tutorials for Atari Falcon noobs available?

Return to “Hardware”