Get your ST on the network using a Raspberry Pi

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

catmando
Atari God
Atari God

Get your ST on the network using a Raspberry Pi

Post by catmando »

Found this on hackaday and thought it might be useful for anyone trying to network their ST without buying an expensive adapter

Here's the link
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Get your ST on the network using a Raspberry Pi

Post by bullis1 »

This is the first useful thing to be done with the Raspberry Pi. Well, it would be if it were done with the Atari.

Thanks for sharing.
Member of the Atari Legend team
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

If you already have a PC in your house, you can already do the same without a Pi.

You can configure PPP on Win 7 following this Technet thread here.... well, actually the 3rd last post which, in turn, points to an Atari website. :wink: :lol:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by alexh »

The same setup should work fine with the Atari if it's TCP/IP supports SLIP/PPP.
tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by tenox »

Does MINT support PPP or SLIP?
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

tenox wrote:Does MINT support PPP or SLIP?
Yes it does.
Look at Installing PPP on the Atari, right at the bottom of the page.

You don't need MiNT, AFAIK, STING also does SLIP. :cheers:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
Monsoft
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Monsoft »

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... CIXv8kgqcg
This website have more than 10 years but some information are still valid. Main issues with using PPP connection is speed and requirement to have another computer running all time.

Post by Guest »

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :(

youll be faster using rs232 direct to IP ive done this with proteus vsm http://vsmlibs.host56.com/ ye ye few years ago pic !!!!
to connect instance of them together many masters many slaves even over 500 or 5 million slaves and masters my dll gets used to teach class rooms of 60 +pupils
even using rs232 to ip to teach from say one or more master machines to one or more slaves up to any amount

16 sliders 16 switches and buttons and any amount of these on different ports if needed
full control com ports become ip addresses like 192.168.0.2 is my ip
you can enable any range you want with in this mask on your machine or others

you can use a IP adapter as do many alarm systems etc devices like digital radios
feed back to the cia etc fbi who knows

you enter the rs232 to ip adapter via usb and program its ip and mask and sub net to the right perams
bingo a machine appears
the atari has many rs232 fast to 38K or 115K even for ste speeds
just adapt the serial chip as does many applications like midi 3 etc to bump up the speed
you MUST mod the serial ic clock
to give more speed by adding a clock double or tripple depends on the machine}

even many people who i know have tried midi 3 or the other mods to the serial port to add more in/out midi ports and poo on it DID not mod there rs232 ic so it WONT work for them till they allow 115Kbps speeds from rs232
i think 1 extra in + 2 outs is the best use this way the rs232 can merge with the dedicated atari midi in with a simple buffer of 128K

i dont understand these people the ausy maker made it quite clear

quite fast 1$ unit via ebay
look for rs232 to IP
you can even have a camera and mic on the ip at the same time
mic and video codec usb machine on rs232 via com 1 etc
direct connect
the st and ste etc has old 25 pin rs232

its worth making up a 25 to 9 pin cable you need to add all pins rts cts rx to tx tx to rx etc
a modem cable has no rts and cts instead they are connected to each other at the plugs
rts request to send cts clear the send so it send tx to Rx rx to tx

and thats it
so you can link cts to rts and rx to tx tx to rx on both plugs

this is a null modem config

best use the handshakes if you can for max speed @ 115Kbps overclocked ste st rs232 8)

look on ebay for a 9 pin to 25pin modem cable
this is duplex or bi dir
and uses all the signals rts cts rx tx gnd etc
in Glasgow we have FTDI they make it happen easy
if you need help ask me
vsmlibs@sky.com
half the trick with atari is ask for data and it gets stacked
then wait for it to arrive
someone needs to write a good rs232 file buffer fifo to a given saved to physical or vitrual disk as a unit of code
just my opinion and a good project

you simply buy a rs232 to usb adapter using dos driver as is most pc will 'see' the adapter usb to serial com 1 as com 1 in dos

so standard dos transfer tools will wok fully

plug it to the ste etc and if you can beef up the rs232 chips clock in sync
{easy} to 115k easy
then it appears on usb to serial on the pc or mac
then you can use the transfer software available or make some
i think its easy to make the rs232 port sing
most often these rs232 are also wireless
after all my lighter records 2 hrs of video and audio
so...my usb to serial is wireless usb wireless >> rs232 duplex

for pc i use an app called portmon,exe for rs232 cheep and cheerful

you can capture i think 1MB or more buffer size

strip {parse the hex} to file

and save it as any extension then run it in the atari or pc etc emu

offline code sources for proteus include

st ste dma and shifter

gst is the same as ste pre gst

not done all addins

68000 i think labcenter staff may cover

however ive made a functional shell based on standard mc680000 datasheet to time init is sound in RT but the shell needs work

if people want this c++ you must be using vc10 and versed in buffer errors and open buffer redactive code

i must point out that proteus is a realtime electronics level simulation

VSM virtual studio model much like steinberg vsm stuff {cubase vst } vst and vsm and much the same thing

1 second divide by units

like mmsg umsg nmsg pmsg tmsg etc

message levels are time is 000 -999 of any given magnitude of callback
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

with pc and mac you will need either hub to ip or etc drivers you can trial and or pay for
catmando
Atari God
Atari God

Post by catmando »

simbo2 wrote:with pc and mac you will need either hub to ip or etc drivers you can trial and or pay for
I think 1% of the people on here will understand what you just said in the post above.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

simbo2 wrote: best use the handshakes if you can for max speed @ 115Kbps overclocked ste st rs232 8)
how about building that thingy to interface with LPT, there are some PLIP driver on Mint or at least I think there are.
nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by nativ »

So what is the best the fastest the cheapest the easiest way to LAN your ST or WAN your ST?

Serial link?

Pi Link

EtherNet?
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

would be serial as you just need a NULL modem to that Pi or a old PC.
Monsoft
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Monsoft »

nativ wrote:So what is the best the fastest the cheapest the easiest way to LAN your ST or WAN your ST?
Fastest is never cheapest.
Netusbee or EtherNec are the fastest but not cheapest. Probably cheapest will be using null modem connection as you will only require null-modem cable. But additional you will have to have another computer which will be your gateway or router with serial port.
Sowden
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Sowden »

wongck wrote:would be serial as you just need a NULL modem to that Pi or a old PC.
Yeah, this guy made a great video about how to setup a NULL modem with a Windows 7 PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjvZL0IlBoo

Go to the description video, he has all the dos programs and ST images posted for you to download to make it all work. I haven't tired it yet, but it is going to be my next experiment. But in his example here, would a serial to USB work on a Raspberry Pi? Later.
Dark Willow
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Dark Willow »

Honestly, a Ethernec is super cheap, and you don't wind up using a system 100x more powerful than the Atari just to act as it's modem/router...
TT030, 10mb/16mb, 3.5" SCSI multi-card reader (2gb CF/512mb SD), Matrix TC1006 gfx card, EtherNEC, Epson GT scanner, VanillaMint | 1040STe, 4mb, TOS 1.62, MegaFile 60, SM125 | Lynx II | 800XL, 64k, 1050 disk drive, XC12 tape deck, MicroLink parallel adapter

PuppySoft:Projects & More
uudruid74
Atarian
Atarian

Post by uudruid74 »

Dark Willow wrote:Honestly, a Ethernec is super cheap, and you don't wind up using a system 100x more powerful than the Atari just to act as it's modem/router...
Yeah, I was reading this thread thinking .. WTF!? .. a 1Ghz computer to network an old Atari? You could run an emulator on the Pi that would run a fair bit of the Atari software faster than any real Atari hardware ever could.

Another method .. (using a 200Mhz machine to connect your Atari, but at least its being used for other stuff too). If you have home router, you can install DD-WRT or similar on it (basically flashing it with a more "open" Linux). The new OS allows you to use things that would otherwise be unsupported. Such as:
  • If has a serial port on it, you can slip between your Atari and the serial port and route into the rest of your network.
  • If it doesn't have a serial port, but has USB, plug in a generic USB to serial, and run SLIP/PPP (SLIP may be easier), or a USB to parallel (if you can find it) and run PLIP (may have some compatibility issues as this is less supported).
  • If it has neither, there is usually a serial port on the chip and there are instructions in the WRT forums on how to install the serial port hardware to the pins.
I remember back in the early 90s I networked an Atari and a 3b2 (AT&T Unix Mini). The Atari had my Zyxel modem on it connecting me to a public on-line Unix system which was connected to the Internet via a UUCP feed (dial-up) via Telebit Trailblazer modems - this was before the WWW. I first transfered Zmodem to the 3b2 by using "cat >rz.c" on one side and having flash on my ST send the source over really slow. I then compiled rz.c (zmodem source, but very small) on the 3b2 and used it to transfer the much larger slip sources over to the 3b2. Once that was done, I could set up a SLIP connection that could multiplex the serial port. So ... SLIP has been working for awhile. A few years later, I used PPP for my Internet connection to the Atari on a newer ZyXel.
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

I don't like to poison old topics in general, but at least I'll leave it here for anyone who might think of this possibility in the future - it's now possible to connect to the internet from ST through Raspberry Pi, which is in the CosmosEx device ;)
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 05#p294305

Jookie
MikeHalliday
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by MikeHalliday »

I know this is an old thread, but I am interested in getting my STE on the network/internet.

Would it be possible to add a serial port to an old router and flash modified firmware to allow serial port access on the router? Its just a thought as there are loads of YouTube videos kicking around about adding serial ports to routers for programming with OpenWRT etc.

Would this be a viable solution?
In my Retro vault: 4MB 520 STE with Protar Progate 2 40MB + 230MB HDDs, 512STFM case and keyboard with Raspberry Pi3+ and 128GB Sata SSD, 128K Spectrum +2a with 1BIS interface, 48K+ in DKTronics keyboard with retroleum SDCard, TRS-80 COCO1, BBC Model B with SDCard, PiCade with RPi3 and Reys 128GB Image. :D
EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by EmpireAndrew »

If you enjoy the challenge then I guess.

But for the cost of a NetUSBee which has drivers and allows the ST to stand alone and be plugged into any ethernet port, could even be ethernet to a wifi bridge if cable is not convenient to your router, personally I would (and did) go with that.

The router serial port idea is much better than a Pi or other gateway PC, but it does mean running DD-WRT or something which although I generally like, has crappy wifi performance vs manufacturer firmware. I don't like solutions that compromise the network in general for the rest of my modern stuff so I won't run DD-WRT any more.
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 8GB HDD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation, PDA's and more!
LuigiThirty
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by LuigiThirty »

Tried hooking up my 1040ST to my LAN with STING and PPPD on my PC connected through RS-232 - the closest I got was 3 bombs on the ST and a modem disconnect notification on the PC as soon as it connected to the PPP server. :/

Return to “Hardware”