NEW IDE Controller & TOS 2.06 board (with extras)

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Feust
Atariator
Atariator

Re: NEW IDE Controller & TOS 2.06 board (with extras)

Post by Feust »

Hi Alan

yes I did.
It is like 'suddently everything that you write in drives (sd or hd) appears, is visualy the same file size as the original,
but can't be executed'. But same programs on floppies (copy source) do work.
And now, configuring the drives end up this same way, whatever I use different partitions, drivers or medias.

Thanks,
Stephane
alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by alanh »

alanh wrote:Hi all

I've had a few reports now of not being able to autoboot off a couple of CF style cards and some loading problems, typically bus errors i.e. two bombs when loading program's.

Just to note to all. I think I have a fix for this and it's unfortunate that the first generation boards didn't shake this out. But it goes to show the wide variety of CF, SD and other IDE type devices that are available. I just don't have infinite resources to test them or buy them all.

So, for those who think they have a problem, drop me a PM. I'll be making some time to test more in early September. Just don't have time right now.

Sorry for the troubles folks.
Hi all,

O.k. back now, and looking at this problem. I've reproduced protek's troubles, so hopefully be able to get a fix pretty soon.

Will be back in touch when I've isolated things.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.
Feust
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Feust »

Hi, no problem, take your time.

I tested with SDcards : a toshiba 2Gb, a no brand 1 Go, Sandisk mini sd (2Go) & toshiba adapter.
My hd is an ibm DSOA 20810 - 810Mo (1575 cyl, 16 heads) from 1996

Don't know if it would help.

Stephane
alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by alanh »

Feust wrote:Hi, no problem, take your time.

I tested with SDcards : a toshiba 2Gb, a no brand 1 Go, Sandisk mini sd (2Go) & toshiba adapter.
My hd is an ibm DSOA 20810 - 810Mo (1575 cyl, 16 heads) from 1996

Don't know if it would help.

Stephane
Hi Stephane, not sure what the problem you are seeing is. I'm only looking at protek's trouble at the moment.

Your DSOA 20810 should work, what happens with that ? Can you provide screenshots of the trouble you are seeing ?
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.
protek
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by protek »

Yay! It's booting from CF! I swapped the cable to secondary port and moved the jumpers into reversed position as per Alan's instructions. It is now booting from CF. :D

Well, it actually worked on second try as I probably had a corrupt setup on CF and RF shielding forced my short ide cable loose on secondary port. Probably have to get a slightly longer cable. I removed the RF shield for now and repartitioned the CF. Need to test reading and writing later.

Thanks, Alan for all your help!
520 STE (4MB), 65 XE
protek

Post by protek »

I tried copying the HDDriver from floppy to one of the partitions and then running it from the partition. No problems with that. HDD Utils ran without any glitches.

And for the record. HDDriver 8.20 works with me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
520 STE (4MB), 65 XE
busybee

Post by busybee »

Where is the U11 located, how is it accessed, and can you show me a picture of it?
I ask because I am horrible at soldering and...... I've already list a falcon..... I don't want to lose the mega ste as well.
delvis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by delvis »

Alanh,
I am still waiting on my China SD board so I went ahead and used the 44 to 40 cable I bought and hooked up the CD Rom drive. When I booted up it showed up in the list with the HDD. It is an Icon on the desktop but not functional yet. So the IDE "Doubler" board is seeing it with the longer cable.

I have "Spin!" and an earlier version of Extendos Pro I was trying to use just to make sure this CD drive is worth all the time invested. With both programs it says it doesn't recognize the device. Have been playing with the config files and having fun. The Extendos Pro doesn't seem to support IDE at least in the auto install mode. Only looks for SCSI or Atari devices.

May have to breakdown and buy the newest version. The config.sys or Extendos.cnf files I am sure are the issue.

Anyway a few posts earlier using the longer cables I could not see the devices attached but for some reason now they are working...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Delvis
Atari User since 1982
400 / 800/ 1200XL / 800XL /65XE / 130XE
520ST / 1040ST / MegaST4
protek

Post by protek »

Yesterday I did some additional testing and playing. So far the only combination that works for me is the CF adapter with Transcend CF card. I tried also the SD IDE adapter but it still bombs on me after partitioning.

I also backed up my partitions from CF card with Drive Image and added some games on it and then wrote it back. It was nice to load and play games from the hard disk. :D

Tonight I'm going to give another go to the CF microdrives. Since I'm not able to partition the microdrives with HDDriver, I'm going to try to write my backup image on it and see if that works.
520 STE (4MB), 65 XE
alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by alanh »

busybee wrote:Where is the U11 located, how is it accessed, and can you show me a picture of it?
I ask because I am horrible at soldering and...... I've already list a falcon..... I don't want to lose the mega ste as well.
Look at the last picture on this page.

http://www.freemint.org/ide/STE-IDE.html
alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by alanh »

delvis wrote:Alanh,
I am still waiting on my China SD board so I went ahead and used the 44 to 40 cable I bought and hooked up the CD Rom drive. When I booted up it showed up in the list with the HDD. It is an Icon on the desktop but not functional yet. So the IDE "Doubler" board is seeing it with the longer cable.

I have "Spin!" and an earlier version of Extendos Pro I was trying to use just to make sure this CD drive is worth all the time invested. With both programs it says it doesn't recognize the device. Have been playing with the config files and having fun. The Extendos Pro doesn't seem to support IDE at least in the auto install mode. Only looks for SCSI or Atari devices.

May have to breakdown and buy the newest version. The config.sys or Extendos.cnf files I am sure are the issue.

Anyway a few posts earlier using the longer cables I could not see the devices attached but for some reason now they are working...
Yeah, I think Extendos Pro doesn't support IDE. You need Extendos 4 for that as it uses SCSIDRV which supports the IDE channels, as I use it here and it works. Contact Anodyne first to check that Extendos Pro doesn't support IDE.

Can't say I've used SPIN for quite some time, so completely forgot how to use that.
protek

Post by protek »

Well, no success with CF microdrive. It's probably due to the fact that HDDriver isn't able to find the root sector, when trying to partition and writing an image isn't able overcome that.

Have to try to format it as an Amiga disk.
520 STE (4MB), 65 XE
delvis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by delvis »

Alanh,
I will follow your recommendation and contact the software vendor. I bought HDDriver so I didn't have to play around with the HDD and now it is time to buy Extendos 4 for the CD or DVD.

Right at $600 USD in my Mega ST since end of June. Wife is finally starting to raise an eyebrow... :evil:

I told her just a few more parts and it will be done... for now. :angel:
Delvis
Atari User since 1982
520ST / 1040ST / MegaST4
nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by nativ »

When it's done it will be good for another 20 years though! :D
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Post by spiny »

delvis wrote:
Right at $600 USD in my Mega ST since end of June. Wife is finally starting to raise an eyebrow... :evil:

I told her just a few more parts and it will be done... for now. :angel:
tell her it's smaller than a car project :)
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

delvis wrote: Right at $600 USD in my Mega ST since end of June. Wife is finally starting to raise an eyebrow... :evil:
:angel:
Tell her it keeps you off the streets at night... :lol:
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
protek

Post by protek »

Another progress! I got the microdrive working. :D Updated to HDDriver 8.23 as I was eligible for that and it partitioned the microdrive ok. It now boots from that. Life is sweet! :D

Have to make a led cable while I wait for the longer IDE cable to arrive.
520 STE (4MB), 65 XE
busybee

Post by busybee »

alanh wrote:
busybee wrote:Where is the U11 located, how is it accessed, and can you show me a picture of it?
Look at the last picture on this page.

http://www.freemint.org/ide/STE-IDE.html
Okay. So I'm guessing this means I have to remove the cover from the motherboard? And if so, how is that done. The hdd cover was quite easy, after someone told me how. I don't see a similiar avenue for the other cover.
I have never owned, used, worked on, taken apart, a Mega STE before, so I really don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks
alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by alanh »

Yes, remove all screws from the base, and after you've removed the hard drive cover, the top will come right off, but slowly as the led cables and floppy power and data cables are attached to the top lid.
delvis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by delvis »

Made contact with Roger and will order the CD ROM software. Extendos 4.06 and the Suite program. Another $100 USD so now I am at $700.

The problem for me is I am also restoring a 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500 and it is over 2K in repair parts.... So the wife knows I am too broke to be out partying and running the Streets. (And too old)

:cheers:
For the moral support.

Note: Ordered Extendos 4.06 today...
Delvis
Atari User since 1982
520ST / 1040ST / MegaST4
alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by alanh »

O.k. First of all, apologies folks for those who have the "rev2" STE IDE boards. There's a small hardware problem where some people have noticed boot problems or loading problems on the STE.

It turns out this is only on the primary port, the secondary port is fine.

Here's a photo of the fix. Essentially a trace cut near the top row of CPU pins, and an additional wire down near the IDE pins.

This will fix the issue, and bring back the primary port to it's full glory.

This also ONLY happens on the "STE rev2" boards. The first development boards sent out DO NOT have this problem.

Apologies folks.
stefix2.jpg
PM me if you have problems doing the fix yourselves.
protek

Post by protek »

Great work, Alan for finding the problem! :D I think I'll stick to using the secondary port forced as primary though as I can make do with one port. Good to know that it's an easy fix.

Just have to wait for the longer cable to arrive so that I can place the IDE on top of SIMMs, where it is relatively easy to access. Then I can close the lid and enjoy my STE.
520 STE (4MB), 65 XE
protek

Post by protek »

Sorry, double post.
520 STE (4MB), 65 XE
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Post by spiny »

How can i tell which revision I have ? mine doesn't say anything in particular, does that mean I have an early one ?
it's serial number 14 if that helps :)
qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Post by qq1975b »

on the top right corner must be written rev.2
Trying to learn...

Return to “Hardware”