Memory Upgrade

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

ERA
Atarian
Atarian

Memory Upgrade

Post by ERA »

Hi all,new to the forum,i have an Atari 520St fm,i want to upgrade the memory to either 2 or 4 meg,it uses 30 pin chips,i want to run cubase ect on it for my synths ect,watt is recomended ,do i need to do anything else to upgrade,and where can i purchase the chips...i am in the UK...cheers
xdy0d3x
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Memory Upgrade

Post by xdy0d3x »

Hello,

You can get them on ebay.Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATARI-ST-4MB- ... 20c6a09dff
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

I may not be the first to be confused.

You say you have an STfm, but mention having 30pin chips (Simms?) There is the confusion. A STfm doesn't have that configuration.

Perhaps you could could post a picture of the motherboard to ease the true identity of the board.

ST. :cheers:
4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away
Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what
ERA
Atarian
Atarian

Post by ERA »

Sorry ive been told its an ste...it just comes up with not enuff memory...hence i was lookin to upgrde, but i think there is another problem ...
1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by 1st1 »

My 1040STFM has 4x 1 MB SIMM. 20 years ago I designed a PCB to replace the onboard memory. But I never released the design to the public, only one PCB etched just for me. But it still works. Maybe I can make a picture of it.
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 3x Falcon 030 * 3x TT030 * many 260 /520/1040ST(F)(M)(+) * 520/1040STE * many Mega ST * 2x Mega STE * Stacy * STBook * 2x SLM605 * 3x SLM804 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3 * ...
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

ERA wrote:Sorry ive been told its an ste...it just comes up with not enuff memory...hence i was lookin to upgrde, but i think there is another problem ...
If it is an STe, then you can take the cover off and physically check what memory is there. Its probably either the 256k or 1 meg sticks.

Sometimes, especially as they age, contact becomes questionable. Gently remove them, clean them and all connections, then reassemble
and try it again. Won't hurt to try this. Be very careful with the tiny "arms" holding the memory, they can get very brittle. At least they
are on my Mega STe (pretty much the same setup).

While you are in there, check all the socketed chips and make sure they are seated correctly as well.

HTHs.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Return to “Hardware”