New arrivals :)

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Icarus
Atariator
Atariator

New arrivals :)

Post by Icarus »

2 Atari's arrived today, 1x 520 STe and 1 x 520 STFM :)

The STFM was sold as dead, but it powered up and runs fine, bit of a result. Upon opening it up, just to be nosey and give it a clean, it all looks good. The motherboard has a lot of socketed chips and appears to be a good base for futher mods?

Here's a picture of it, and i've also uploaded a lower resolution picture of the board to the Wiki, as threr was not a pic of this revision on there.

I also noticed a 'fix' that I presume Atari made to 1 leg of a chip under the floppy drive

Both Atari's have suffered from the yellowing of the plastic unfortunately, but im more then happy to have got them :)
Atari STE 1 meg TOS 2.06 HxC and external DD
FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Re: New arrivals :)

Post by FedePede04 »

Icarus wrote:
Both Atari's have suffered from the yellowing of the plastic unfortunately, but im more then happy to have got them :)
Hi you can try to retro bright them.
http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

ps. i just found this thread on a other forum, so if you want to use Retro bright, maybe you should read this first.
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum ... troBright-!
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)
Icarus
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Icarus »

I think I will give retrobright a go on one of my spare STFM's and see what occurs :)
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

I always want to get some retrobright, but then the plastic is already weak so I am worried that putting chemicals on it will make it worst even if it looks better.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
Icarus
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Icarus »

I will post back my results when I get round to this, but it could be some time later this year, hopefully! :)
rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by rocket-dog »

:D because I wanted to register my :D but didn't know what to say! :mrgreen:
1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by 1st1 »

That Diode-modification tells me something, but I don't remember anymore the effect which has been fixed that way, that's 20 years ago.
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 3x Falcon 030 * 3x TT030 * many 260 /520/1040ST(F)(M)(+) * 520/1040STE * many Mega ST * 2x Mega STE * Stacy * STBook * 2x SLM605 * 3x SLM804 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3 * ...
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

A stab in the dark possibility.

That Diode is to a lifted Pin 40. Which is power for the DMA chip... the diode would drop 0.2v across it.

It might be that 'other' signals coming in were a bit weak and the internal comparators didn't see them as logic 'high' enough causing corruption.

Dirty hack to fix, Lower the master comparator voltage a touch.

ST. :cheers:
4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away
Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what

Return to “Hardware”