Hard Drive inside Mega ST4

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

polbit
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Hard Drive inside Mega ST4

Post by polbit »

After a long absence, I'm back in the ST world, and got myself a Mega ST4, Megafile 30 and an AdSCSI Micro ST adapter. While the Megafile 30 is nice and all, I want to use the ICD interface to put something smaller and faster inside the Mega. Naturally, I have few questions...:

1. How good/bad is cooling inside the Mega? Would adding a 3.5" HD be shortening the life of the Mega considerably?
2. Can I make the 2.5" SCSI drives work with this adapter?

Worst case, I'm assuming I can fit the adapter into the Megafile case, use the MF's power supply, and not worry about doing any damage to the ST, but it would be nice to keep it all neatly tucked in inside the Mega...

Thanks for any help/suggestions!
m68k forever
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Hard Drive inside Mega ST4

Post by bid »

what a great adaptor you have there ! .. Im a bit jealous!

You could easily hack the AdSCSI Micro ST adpator by putting into the MEGABUS slot on the back of the MEGA. I would make a small bracket to go in its place, and fix the AdSCSI Micro ST on there. You can probably use the DMA port screw thingys and untighten them, and then use them to fix it to the bracket.

Using the AdSCSI Micro ST with a 2.52" or 3.5" drive should be easy. Although I dont see many 2.5" SCSI drives about. You can pick up a 3.5" one for about £10 on ebay. A 10GB will be more than enough. Ones from old servers are best.

The MEGA ST has an internal metal shielding inside. As I remember, that shielding has holes in it. So if you mount a hard drive in there up-side-down and screw it using standard PC screws through the metal case, then you have an instant hard drive mounting. ... There is loads of room for a 3.5" drive in there, as it was designed to hold large items on the MEGABUS slot (which sadly there are not many things made for it). But I think a hard drive would fit great!

I dont think cooling is an issue personally. Many hard drive caddies have no fan. And at least the Mega ST4 has a crappy little fan, that seems totally useless. I unplugged mine. lol.

Simply use a standard DMA cable and loop from DMA out to your VME slot, where hopefully you mounted the AdSCSI Micro ST. Another way, if you dont want to make a custom slot, is to somehow mount the AdSCSI Micro ST onto the inside of the metal cage, that I mentioned earlier. With a bit of ingenuity, I'll bet you could mount it so that it lines up exactly with the MEGABUS slot. Some screws through the holes in the metal internal case, a block of wood and some hot glue to fix the board to the wooden block?

Anyway, your major problem is not fitting internally. Its getting a suitable power supply for the hard drive. The standard PSU could be fitted with a MOLEX to get a suitable voltage out, but I am not sure if it could take the strain? Maybe someone here can give a better answer?

You may need to fit a better PSU, or use an alternative external PSU etc.

If you want to fit ULTRASATAN, I do believe that the Mega 4 has a internal DMA pins so you can mount an SD Card internally. This would be quiter, lower power, and would allow you to use your existing PSU.

But my god. How neat would all in one Mega, with hard drive be. .. Yes indeedy!! 8)
My company website http://www.thebigconsultant.com[/i][/color]
Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Zogging Hell »

Could be wrong but I vaguely remember something in ST Format (or Review) that suggested the Mega ST was designed to have an internal hd, hence the big space. You do have to wonder why Atari never filled it however..
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours
polbit
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by polbit »

I will be in the market for the Ultrasatan as soon as they are available :) In the meantime, it's fun to play with old school ICD stuff, but my primary goal is to make it as quiet as possible. I don't actually have the Mega sitting in front of me yet (should be here in the next 2 days), but from what I remember, a combination of the Mega fan, Megafile fan and a 5 1/4" HD in the Megafile is not exactly quiet!

The ICD Micro ST came new in box, with a mounting bracket and everything, so it's all plug and play! Like you said though, I'm not sure about the power supply. If I have to get an external one, then I might as well just use the Megafile case with its PS for the entire installation. That's why I'm thinking that if I can find a nice, quiet 2.5" SCSI drive (I know Apple used to use them in the powerbooks a while back, so they must exist) and stuff it inside the Mega, get the fan replaced with something quieter (don't really want to remove it altogether), I would be in business, and a laptop HD would not draw too much power.
m68k forever
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

I'm fairly certain the Mega ST was designed for an internal hard drive.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

These are the pizza box type casing, no?
IIRC, there were external harddisk that stacks on top of them.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by bid »

Zogging Hell wrote:Could be wrong but I vaguely remember something in ST Format (or Review) that suggested the Mega ST was designed to have an internal hd, hence the big space. You do have to wonder why Atari never filled it however..
Interesting! I'd like to see that article.

The same thought had passed my mind. I always thought that it was a shame that the MEGABUS was never fully utilised. There was a graphics card and a network card, but I believe there is suitable I/O for other devices, including storage devices.

However, in looking at my MEGA ST4 (that I got from a work client for free!), there is evidence for this capability.
- Firstly there is the internal ASCI interface, which is an internal (almost SCSI compliant) breakout header pins on the MEGA board itself, near to the hard drive external connector. ... This is by the way what you can connect to with an internally mounted UltraSatan.

- Secondly, the MEGABUS itself, I believe would be capably of making a storage interface.

- Thirdly, the Power Supply in the Mega. ... If you examine it carefully, there is a single power connection plug that goes onto the MEGA board itself, just behind the Floppy drive. However, there is a second plug position with an identical header, unused. So I am guessing that using the same plug fitting, you can break out for an additional powered device inside the MEGA. However, I do not know of the current that this can safely supply. ... I think that I can say with some certainty, that the PSU can certainly designed deliver power in addition to that of the main PCB and Floppy drive. I would like to know this specification if it is available.

However, the purpose of these fixtures, I am now guessing, were not to power a hard drive. Or certainly current technology. Otherwise they would not have created the MegaFile series of products. ... Reasons, size of drives and no doubt power requirements. Plus users would not have to open their cases, which unlike modern PC's were not designed to be opened by the consumer at point of use.

However, if Atari had continued to make the MEGA ST line of products, I am sure that it could have been fitted with a 2.5" drive, similar to the falcon but, with a daughter card on the MEGABUS. And certainly, modern drives may be under the limit for connecting to the internal PSU. They will use no where near the power of the huge full-height RTL drives in the Megafile. Which are loud, noisy and were pretty much obsolete at the time.

My take on the issue, is the the best option for an internal MEGA ST hard drive would be to use the Ultra-Satan fitted internally. And I'll bet that the PSU from the MEGA could power it.
polbit wrote:I will be in the market for the Ultrasatan as soon as they are available :)
Me too. I have still not got one, as I am so mean with money. And its not a cheap upgrade in my opinion. Especially as the most I spent on an Atari was £275, and that was for my original STe brand new in 1994. lol. I have always loved budget computing. And I am really hoping that perhaps, I will learn to program the old GAL and make one for myself.
In the meantime, it's fun to play with old school ICD stuff, but my primary goal is to make it as quiet as possible. I don't actually have the Mega sitting in front of me yet (should be here in the next 2 days), but from what I remember, a combination of the Mega fan, Megafile fan and a 5 1/4" HD in the Megafile is not exactly quiet!
You have got a great adaptor there in the ICD micro. I have the larger AdSCSI, which I have dismantled out of a larger metal Ladbroke Computing drive.

The Megafile is VERY noisy. The one I got sounded like a rocket engine. Plus its slow, the drive is going to be old, and getting beyond its design lifetime. It cant be replaced, as its not SCSI, but some kind of obsolete RTL or something like that.

I think that your best bet for now, would be to dismember the MegaFile. Take out the original old full height RTL drive. And also take out the original Atari drive interface board. Keep the PSU.

Then transplant the ICD Micro SCSI in there. Add a 4-10GB and relatively new 3.5" SCSI drive. You can get one for about £10 on ebay.

Depending on your ICD adaptors capability, it might be possible to run 2 drives on there later. And there is a thread that I posted on, where people have added a CD-ROM into a Megafile case. So it might be possible to have Hard Drive and CD-Rom in the Megafile. .. Then if you add UltraSatan inside your MEGA 4 later, then you have the best of all worlds. And you can also then use the Megafile with any other Atari's you have as a bonus, or to transfer files.
The ICD Micro ST came new in box, with a mounting bracket and everything, so it's all plug and play! Like you said though, I'm not sure about the power supply. If I have to get an external one, then I might as well just use the Megafile case with its PS for the entire installation. That's why I'm thinking that if I can find a nice, quiet 2.5" SCSI drive (I know Apple used to use them in the powerbooks a while back, so they must exist) and stuff it inside the Mega, get the fan replaced with something quieter (don't really want to remove it altogether), I would be in business, and a laptop HD would not draw too much power.
If you can get a 2.5" SCSI, then I might also be tempted to take a risk on the Mega ST's power supply. As it would be very very cool. Plus, Im sure if it goes bang it could be mended or replaced. lol. Although the chassis is different on the PSU, I'll bet an ordinary one from a normal ST could be transplanted onto the MEGA PSU chassis anyway, and there are plenty of those about.

Man, with a Mega ST4 with an internal hard drive. An LCD screen and a bit of sellotape, you could almost have an Atari laptop. Lol.

Just joking. But I am all for crazy Atari based concoctions, and I wish you well!

I was worried myself about the MEGA ST, as I was used to the STe with its superior sound and moderate improvements. But the MEGA has surprised me as a sturdy and powerful machine. Mine runs Magic very well and multitaking on it was a revelation. I also am booting into TOS 2.06 on it, using a softloader. ... As its got 4MB of memory, this is plenty, and I dont mind running OS in Ram. I still never run out of memory. .. But I feel like a professional Atariator, with my pizza box, Hi-Res monitor, and seperate keyboard. No doubt this is how most Germans felt in the 1990's!

One thing about my Atari, is that I like it to run quiet. And a fan does not help. However, there are fan speed reducing resistors on ebay typically for 2-3 quid. And this halves the fan speed, and makes it virtually silent. I really dont think that the fan is very necessary. But I will stand to be corrected?
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

wongck wrote:These are the pizza box type casing, no?
IIRC, there were external harddisk that stacks on top of them.
Yep, there was the Megafile, 20-30-60 meg models... I actually put mine underneath
the Mega ST. :)
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

I can't remember the exact details, but at one time, someone like Supra sold internal
hard drives for the Mega ST's.

Anyone got an Atari magazine with that article/ad in it? :)

EDIT: Found it! Here is one article, anyways:

http://www.atarimagazines.com/startv3n5 ... mpare.html

Scroll down to the Supra section.
Internal Mega ST hard drive.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by bid »

DarkLord wrote:I can't remember the exact details, but at one time, someone like Supra sold internal
hard drives for the Mega ST's. .... http://www.atarimagazines.com/startv3n5 ... mpare.html
Wow! Great find! ... Searching the name "Supra Mega Drive" reveals this

"Supra Corporation has released their MegaDrive ST, a 40-megabyte hard disk drive that mounts inside the Atari Mega computer case. The drive connects to the internal DMA port (on the Mega's motherboard) and leaves the external DMA port available for the Atari laser printer or other peripherals. There is no external power supply; power comes directly from the Mega. Supra also furnishes formatting software that lets you partition the MegaDrive ST into as many as 12 drives. MegaDrive ST, $995. Supra Corporation, 1133 Commercial Way, Albany, OR 97321, (503) 967-9075."

And all for $995 dollars! .... But this lays down the fact that the Mega PSU can handle it. Yes indeedy. ... Although I might be tempted to refresh the capacitors maybe, and give it a bit of TLC 1st. Maybe reconnect that blinking fan. lol

So it uses the internal DMA (which is the one I mentioned previously), and there is no need to do this with the Mini ICD card, as you could just loop the external cable to it, in a U shape, and in through the MEGABUS Slot. But also wring to the internal DMA would be possible. Just make sure that you get your wires correct, or that baby is going to fry. lol. I believe it goes pretty deep into the ST's brains, direct into the CPU possibly. So not a good idea to get it wring maybe.

That drive must be a normal 3.5" drive. As this is 1988 technology after all!

This is a great mod idea. I love it.

1. Again tho. I should think that screwing the 3.5" drive up-side-down to the inside of the upper metal sheilding should provide a good strong support, and plenty of clearance. This is easy. Just drill 4x 4mm holes to suit the standard mounting positions underneath the drive. They all have them on the base also.
2. You will need a standard PC molex connector and connect it up to the hard drive. The AdSCSI has a two pin connector by the looks of it, so a visit to Maplin is in order. lol
3. You could probably wedge the card in with a method to ensure that it does not interfere with anything in any way. You could hot glue to the metal cage again, and just lay a strip of cardboard inbetween the metal cage and the AsSCSI. Unfortunately the board seems to have no mounting holes. So this makes it harder to make a bracket. But the screws on the DMA in and out sockets could be used to mount to a custom metal bracket, if you want to be clever. And then bolt the metal bracket (Meccano L shape thingies maybe) to the metal case also.
4. But you'll have to strip down a DMA cable, and add a PCB header so that it can fit onto the internal DMA breakout.
polbit
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by polbit »

Very interesting, thanks for posting this. Looks like at least Supra thought that the power output from the PSU and the ventilation were adequate inside the Mega then...

I think I'll just have to check the power draw with a 3.5" HD installed and look for smoke.
m68k forever
Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Zogging Hell »

DarkLord wrote:I can't remember the exact details, but at one time, someone like Supra sold internal
hard drives for the Mega ST's.

Anyone got an Atari magazine with that article/ad in it? :)

EDIT: Found it! Here is one article, anyways:

http://www.atarimagazines.com/startv3n5 ... mpare.html

Scroll down to the Supra section.
Internal Mega ST hard drive.jpg
Yes that's what I was thinking of, I think it was also reviewed or previewed in ST format around the 30 - 40 issues.
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Excellent find DL.

Does the HDD mounting kit is not included in the original case?
It would be a matter of getting the correct brackets.

My 1st Atari HDD had the ASCI-SCSI adapter from Supra.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

My Mega ST4 doesn't have any HD mounting brackets that I can see. I agree with
Bid though, drill holes in the RF shielding and use it.
polbit
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by polbit »

Having now played with my Mega and Megafile, I can definitely say together the sound like a freight train... I've been spoiled too long by fanless 8-bits and modern quiet laptops to be able to tolerate this... Wish I could get an Ultrasatan right now, it's funny how the 8-bit Ataris and Commodores have great and cheap solutions (SIO2PC and the uIEC, respectively), and our best hope is one guy making some more Ultrasatans :) I guess they did sell more 8-bits...

I'll be trying the Micro ST adapter with a 3.5" HD inside the Megafile today, we will see how that works.

BTW, does anybody have any suggestions on quieter replacement fans? I know I can slow down the factory one, but I'm willing to spend some money on a high-quality, new, quiet fan for a peace of mind...
m68k forever
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by bid »

polbit wrote:Having now played with my Mega and Megafile, I can definitely say together the sound like a freight train... I've been spoiled too long by fanless 8-bits and modern quiet laptops to be able to tolerate this... Wish I could get an Ultrasatan right now, it's funny how the 8-bit Ataris and Commodores have great and cheap solutions (SIO2PC and the uIEC, respectively), and our best hope is one guy making some more Ultrasatans :) I guess they did sell more 8-bits...
Lol. Its a shocker isnt it! ... Im guessing that 20 years ago, when new, the fan bearing and the bearings on the hard drive were a bit fresher, and tighter toleranced. ... Damn annoying that there is no universal Atari upgrade, thats cheap, multiuse (appealing to everyone) so that it can be produced in sufficient volume (volume drives down cost). One problem is, that there is no single easy way to access the ST hardware for expansion.

Its a puzzle that I wish someone had solved with a nice cheap and useful internal upgrade board.

This guy nearly did it http://stlabs.free.fr/ but it was never finished. Damn shame. This would have been the ULTIMATE upgrate, and had solidstate hard disk, switchable, PC plugabble RAM upgrade, and flashable TOS, IDE hard disk, etc etc and more. I think it worked too. But the guy has disappeared off the face of the earth!!

Just imagine this in your MEGA ST, while your sellotaping in your AsSCSI lol http://stlabs.free.fr/mstidem.html
I'll be trying the Micro ST adapter with a 3.5" HD inside the Megafile today, we will see how that works.
You will need to get some electronic connectors and probably a soldering iron, or some kind of crimping tool etc. You'll need a PC type molex, which you could cut off an old PC power supply. And you'll need the 2 way plug that goes into the AsSCSI power supply socket. There should be schematics for the Atari PSU power cables on this website. But please check them, as the colours will certainly be different to the PC. And also, give your PSU some time to discharge as the capacitors can hold a voltage, even after the computer has been unplugged for a while.

My MEGA ST electrocuted me last year. And it was a bit of a shocker. But I still love it tho. lol :lol:
BTW, does anybody have any suggestions on quieter replacement fans? I know I can slow down the factory one, but I'm willing to spend some money on a high-quality, new, quiet fan for a peace of mind...
I buy from http://www.ebuyer.com/ or eBay mainly. If you can be bothered to wait, then the very cheapest on the net is Deal Extreme http://www.dealextreme.com/ as its mentally cheap. You buy direct from China, and is crazy low price. But you have to wait 2 weeks lol.

I think that you need a 4mm case fan. I wired a variable speed controller into my TT030 PSU here http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 50#p182161 and the cheapest way to do it is adding one of these http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 50#p182161 ... I find that the fan running at half speed is perfectly fine. As long as air moves, thats ok by me. And if air moves too fast, then all that noise is just lost energy anyway. Even a slow moving fan makes a lot of difference, trust me, and many people just unplug it and dont use the fan at all. So a slowed down fan is fine. The PSU does not get very hot anyway.
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

If you're looking for an "all in one" upgrade, then I'd put my money on Ralcool's
efforts here:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18847

Just knowing how tenacious Sean is, I'd bet this design will see the light of
day. :)
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by bid »

DarkLord wrote:If you're looking for an "all in one" upgrade, then I'd put my money on Ralcool's
efforts here:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18847
Just knowing how tenacious Sean is, I'd bet this design will see the light of
day. :)
Crikey. I have just commented on the thread, so that I get updates. ... I am not one for hand wiring. lol. Props for this effort though.

Id love to make something similar. But it would have to be a one board solution, with easy to follow instructions for adding components. I think that if the issue of all ST's having different shaped 68k chips, and breakout options could be solved (with a new universal adaptor interface that is separate to the upgrade), then a one board solution could contain co-processor (optional), memory with modern PC Ram, switchable TOS, sd-card storage (using TOS2.06 IDE routines) and maybe even NetUSB type functionality.

To make this viable, the board itself would have to appeal to all users, otherwise it would not be made in sufficient volume to be cost effective. I picture 2 PCB system. One PCB with the upgrade, and the other PCB having only tracking and option to fit (a) a PLCC socket plug like this one http://export.rsdelivers.com/product/wi ... 46925.aspx for use with the STe, and (b) a DIL type header, which can be soldered onto the pre-STe machines, and (c) maybe an easy way to add a MEGABUS type connection, or (d) flying ribbon to the VME headers (which are unpluggable.

Then this one board will be usable with any of the ST range, up to but not including the Falcon. If is popular enough to make a good run of them, it could be cost effective, and easy to fit.

Lol. The Falcon is pretty much an ST, with a 68030 slapped onto the 16bit databus. And the DMA is something that all 68k chips have pinouts for. I actually reckon that the Falcon is not much more than a hot rodded ST, and I know that with a little work it is possible to get any ST working at 16Mhz. And I doubt that I'll ever manage to afford £600 for a Falcon, so I would love to get my trusty ST working like the computer that I have always wanted. And its only a few missing things that stop that. One is the lack of hard storage, the second is easy connectivity to a PC for transfer of files.

I'd like to have an input, if anyone plans to spec up a new upgrade. I think making it fit a wide a range of machines as possible is key to getting sufficient orders to make it worthwhile. And I think that getting an IDE bridge in there is the no1 priority.
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Shredder11 »

bid wrote:
This guy nearly did it http://stlabs.free.fr/ but it was never finished. Damn shame. This would have been the ULTIMATE upgrate, and had solidstate hard disk, switchable, PC plugabble RAM upgrade, and flashable TOS, IDE hard disk, etc etc and more. I think it worked too. But the guy has disappeared off the face of the earth!!

Just imagine this in your MEGA ST, while your sellotaping in your AsSCSI lol http://stlabs.free.fr/mstidem.html
Yeah the stuff he had made were mouth watering... :cry:
bid wrote: My MEGA ST electrocuted me last year. And it was a bit of a shocker. But I still love it tho. lol :lol:
So you nearly died handling the thing you loved; that would have made your wife both sad and jealous! :lol:

bid wrote: I buy from http://www.ebuyer.com/ or eBay mainly. If you can be bothered to wait, then the very cheapest on the net is Deal Extreme http://www.dealextreme.com/ as its mentally cheap. You buy direct from China, and is crazy low price. But you have to wait 2 weeks lol.

Even a slow moving fan makes a lot of difference, trust me, and many people just unplug it and dont use the fan at all. So a slowed down fan is fine. The PSU does not get very hot anyway.
I have bought quite a lot from Deal Extreme over the last three years. Last year I got some 120mm cooling fans and have only just tried them this week, and I was surprised at how good the quality is and how quiet they are. In the past I have spent plenty of money on fans made by SilenX but these other cheap Chinese ones are not far behind and cost peanuts.
bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by bjjones37 »

Time to revisit this topic. I have a Mega ST4 on the way and a ICD Micro SCSI host adapter on order. I hope to have both within a week. I was looking at the specifications of the drive I was going to install. It is a Seagate ST31230N 1GB SCSI. The manual states that it is low power but it's peak power requirements are 710mA@5VDC AND 2000mA@12VDC. It's idle power needs are 510mA@5VDC and 350mA@12VDC. The instructions for the host adapter say to use the extra connector right beside the power connector for the hard drive. But according to the Mega ST Expansion Bus Tech Manual, the connector only provides 750mA@5VDC and 500mA@12VDC.

It seems like it can handle the drive during normal operations, but it look like the startup would really stress the power supply. Also I do not know for sure if the expansion power connector rating is for peak power, normal operating power, or the same for both.

I would sure like some insight on this.
Courtesy is not an option.
Arne
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Arne »

bjjones37 wrote:(...)but it's peak power requirements are 710mA@5VDC AND 2000mA@12VDC. It's idle power needs are 510mA@5VDC and 350mA@12VDC. The instructions for the host adapter say to use the extra connector right beside the power connector for the hard drive. But according to the Mega ST Expansion Bus Tech Manual, the connector only provides 750mA@5VDC and 500mA@12VDC.
I'd say: "Forget it". Seems your HDD needs a lot of "Umppfff" (read Amps) when spinning up. The MegaST's additional connector is made for MegaBus devices, like GFX cards that don't need much power.
I would go for IDE and CF-Card/DOM/SD-Card.

Edit: I still have a 170MB SCSI 5 1/4" HDD by Micropolis in the basement. It's double the height of a CD-ROM. According to the manual it draws 4A on the 12V line. It's got two controller PCBs in sandwich setting with a fan in between which is mounted on the axle of the magnetic discs. A real beast :lol:
Timnaber
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Timnaber »

You could put one of these in there with your micro AdSCSI: http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index. ... le=SCSI2SD

I have an older version of it and I was able to get 4, 1 gig drives out of it on the same SD card. I did not put it in a Mega ST, but I suspect it would draw no more power than a video card.

I put it in 2 Megafile 44s as the second SCSI device. One MF44 was original and I only got 1, 1 GIG drive out of it. The other MF44 had the guts ripped out (by someone else) and they put an AdSCSI in it instead. On that last one, I got 4, 1 gig drives from the adapter.

I suggest this as I am not aware of an IDE device being sold anywhere right now, these are.
ST: TT030 10/32m; Falcon 030 14m(2); MSTe 4m; MST 4m(3); MST 4m AdSpeed; 1040STf 4m(4); ST 4m(2); MF 44 w/SCSI2SD(3); MF 30(3); MF30 w/Drem

8-Bit: 320XE w/Ultraspeed+/FIXXL; 320XE; 130XE w/Ultimate 1m; 600XL w/Ultimate 1m; 800XL w/Omnimon XL/Boss XL/Omniview XL; 800 w/Incognito; 800 48K; Black Box Enhanced(3); 1050 Super Archiver II; 1050 Happy(2); XF551 360K(2); XF551 720K; HD Tower 480m
bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by bjjones37 »

Timnaber wrote:You could put one of these in there with your micro AdSCSI: http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index. ... le=SCSI2SD

I have an older version of it and I was able to get 4, 1 gig drives out of it on the same SD card. I did not put it in a Mega ST, but I suspect it would draw no more power than a video card.
That is actually a great idea and I might do it eventually. The issue right now is the "Bird in Hand". I have the hard drive and the SCSI adapter (at least they are on the way). I don't have the other adapter. I do have an old spare AT power supply though. I was thinking of running some power cables into the case to the hard drive, and tie in a common ground. I need to check the voltage differential between the two power supplies though. For some reason, +5v and +12v are almost never +5v and +12v.
Courtesy is not an option.
Timnaber
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Timnaber »

Another suggestion is to go external. Need a case with a power supply and an ACSI cable.
ST: TT030 10/32m; Falcon 030 14m(2); MSTe 4m; MST 4m(3); MST 4m AdSpeed; 1040STf 4m(4); ST 4m(2); MF 44 w/SCSI2SD(3); MF 30(3); MF30 w/Drem

8-Bit: 320XE w/Ultraspeed+/FIXXL; 320XE; 130XE w/Ultimate 1m; 600XL w/Ultimate 1m; 800XL w/Omnimon XL/Boss XL/Omniview XL; 800 w/Incognito; 800 48K; Black Box Enhanced(3); 1050 Super Archiver II; 1050 Happy(2); XF551 360K(2); XF551 720K; HD Tower 480m

Return to “Hardware”