Gotek Floppy Emulator

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

ChrisTG
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: Gotek Floppy Emulator

Post by ChrisTG »

@Simon: Thank's that helps a lot! The format seems to be mich more simple as I thought.
catmando
Atari God
Atari God

Post by catmando »

Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking
Destination
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Destination »

This whould be really very nice. i'm now a (re)new owner of an Atari 1024STF. I have great memories with this Machine. But the pain today is get some DD Discs. i have only 3 of them. i formated this 3 Disc countless for transferring *.st Images with my Windows Machine. Works ok, but is not comfortable. i take a look on the HxC from Lotharek, but the Price is very high. Sure, i think too, it's worth every penny, but 80€ for an extension for an 25 years old computer? Hell, we get SSDs for this Price too. XD
hellraiser
Atariator
Atariator

Post by hellraiser »

ChrisTG wrote:
qq1975b wrote:Nice post :)

I hope you'll manage to make the Gotek work with .ST files. Maybe if you contact the Amiga firmware and software developers, they can help you.

For the ones that haven't seen a Gotek drive working here it is an example (Amiga): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOfnT-rV7mk
I already reverse-engineered the storage-scheme on the USB-key. Right now I'm collecting docs about the different disk-image formats. I still need some more info about the MSA-format, in particular about the compression algorythm used.
Has somebody any infos about this format handy? Would be a great help.
I plan to use the Lazarus IDE for development of the application. This would make it easy to port it to other platforms as Windows, like Mac, Linux, etc...
Let's see how it comes out. ;-)

Any update yet?

Post by Guest »

im using the same thing for my sy85 yam keyboard ive added ram and also two nvram cards its a nice synth 32 voice
so worth too me to totaly upgrade
so two cards 512 nvram no battery and two 1MB simms 30 pins fpr 70ns ,,
full ram full nvram banks and if i can get some bank cards..64k to 256k plug in the top cards....

so i can perhaps sell the keyboard for £400 or so.... :shrug: `
i use a 26pin flat cable to 34 pin standard floppy connector adapter...

so psu is fine now and nvram and dram so i think its worth 400 quid...
:shrug: who knows...
the ssd and many samples and patches makes the case ,, worth finding samples
vattari
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by vattari »

I tried one of the Gotek drives in my Mega STE last night, after following ChrisTG's very helpful blog post. I didn't implement the media change mod to the drive as this will eventually end up in an Amiga, but pressing the ESC key under GEM gave me an updated listing when needed. I was going to look into a utility called FMC (force media change) that may also help but for my test, the ESC key was fine.

I probably haven't got much more to add other than what was already covered, but trying this simple experiment with a Mega STE (with TOS 2.05) with WD1772-0202 was basically a drop in solution (with the noted limitations).

For those who are interested who is a screenshot of the software supplied with the Gotek, here it is:
2015-03-01 08_50_57-Batch Manage Tool V1.40 - [H_].png
There is an option to create disk partitions in 720KB, 1.2MB and 1.44MB sizes - I picked the last. The software allows you to import uncompressed Windows disk image .IMG files without complaining of the unrecognised format error ChrisGT mentions for .ST images. When I did try an .ST image file (it was an Automation menu disc), the boot sector read but the file system was corrupted (I had the same experience writing the image to an USB floppy drive on my Windows PC, but that's another project...).

For my test, I used WinImage to put one together (I created a Teradesk disc using 1.44MB capacity:
2015-03-01 08_51_22-WinImage (unregistered) - C__Users_Paul_Documents_teradesk.IMA.png
For the default disk, slot 000, I created a Windows/DOS 1.44MB disc and copied my files there. This allows the first slot (and only the first slot) to be automatically mounted in Windows when you insert the USB stick. I later added my standard boot utilities to this slot for convenience as it's available on a cold boot.

With my limited set of Atari ST software (I've only just recently got back into these), Teradesk was the only application I could run on the Mega STE that gave me the option to format in High Density.

One thing I found was that the drive particularly slow to read from a cold start. Warm resets were fine however. I felt the read speed was also slow as well. I may look at the step rate setting to see if this makes a difference.

Another test I tried was running this with an external drive to attempt to copy from physical media to the virtual disks. I didn't have any luck with this as the external drive wasn't recognised (but worked again after reconnecting the original 720Kb drive).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • Mega STE/4, Monster board, 40GB IDE, CosmosEx
  • Mega ST4, Monster board, 8GB CF, Gotek
  • TT4/16, SCSI2SD
  • Falcon 14MB, 8GB CF, Falcon Speed, CosmosEx
  • Falcon 14MB, 8GB SD, Gotek
  • 130XE/myIDE2; 800XL/Supermon; XEGS/SIO2SD; 800XL/SIO2SD; 130XE/SIDE2
  • 1040STE/4MB, Monster board (8GB SD, RTC)
Work-in-progress: Mega ST4/Matrix M110 video; Mega ST2/Titan Reflex video; TT 2/16MB; 1200XL UAV; 400 UAV/Audio; 800

Post by Guest »

.... :shrug:
Last edited by Guest on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

works well with the sy85 yam synth i can load up 99 banks i have added no batteries.... nvram sample banks mem
and 2MB simms to the synth
VERY nice tool for this old platform the gotek units are
fully upgraded machine now... just plug in any usb key , drive easy stuff. now

for this gotek unit ssd $18 inc post or less from hk says it's all very cheep
less than lunch,,,about 13 quid..

i had a dodge floppy drive belt drive and bad bearings on the sy85 and changed it out for this ssd...
and just loaded over the reprogram info for the soundbanks done...!!! easy.. stuff
and viola... here you are a decent unit i had to use a 26pin flat cable to 34 pin floppy adapter and some jumpers fiddles....

very nice.. for old floppy replacement... make sure you use the 720k or 1.44 type they dont interchange and attention too the jumpers
for old synths you need too be sure of limits and i used the 720k limit..DD and i think i could have just used and soldered a cable direct
so be warned sometimes you dont need adapter boards...

there is also a better model maker its totaly the same for 1.44 or 720k supports both
but you cant find it for less than $30 bucks dc100?? 1000 not sure i saw it in a few forums for atari and amiga...
and also acorn ill find it again and post more details
the gotek is a fiddle but will work when tweaked with both formats even adfs

ive nothing but praise for this ssd and my old sy85 you need to use the 720k version of the gotek {not well available...}
sometimes youve no choise
same for atari unless you mod the controller for an ajax chip and use 16.000 000 hz for the 1.44MB version....perhaps pperas disk access time tos tweaks
and mod the clock to the dma ic so the dma gets 32mhz dead.. and the floppy controller gets 16mhz dead..... 16,000, 000,000 use a dds....!!!! gen cost of the unit is like $20

most dds will do like 50mhz +- .01 % so 50.000.000.0+-1 very accurate clocks and they have a lcd display of the frequency
you can also measure there output in volts.. p-p

all US ataris use standard clocks like ttl 32mhz or etc and dont use the pal dot clock
get rid of it if you use RGB or a converter to vga from analogue rgb analogue rgb to vga is a box cost like $10
ChrisTG
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by ChrisTG »

hellraiser wrote:
ChrisTG wrote:
qq1975b wrote:Nice post :)

I hope you'll manage to make the Gotek work with .ST files. Maybe if you contact the Amiga firmware and software developers, they can help you.

For the ones that haven't seen a Gotek drive working here it is an example (Amiga): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOfnT-rV7mk
I already reverse-engineered the storage-scheme on the USB-key. Right now I'm collecting docs about the different disk-image formats. I still need some more info about the MSA-format, in particular about the compression algorythm used.
Has somebody any infos about this format handy? Would be a great help.
I plan to use the Lazarus IDE for development of the application. This would make it easy to port it to other platforms as Windows, like Mac, Linux, etc...
Let's see how it comes out. ;-)

Any update yet?
sri, had no time yet :shrug:
vattari
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by vattari »

ChrisTG, sing out if you need any beta testers. :)
  • TT4/16, SCSI2SD
Work-in-progress: Mega ST4/Matrix M110 video; Mega ST2/Titan Reflex video; TT 2/16MB; 1200XL UAV; 400 UAV/Audio; 800
vattari
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by vattari »

In case anyone received the Chinese version of the Gotek software, I downloaded an English version from here:

http://www.ipcas.com/support/usb-floppy ... nload.html

Note: Using this software, it only prepared the USB drive for 100 slots, rather than the advertised 1000 on others (such as mine).
  • TT4/16, SCSI2SD

Post by Guest »

great thing using one for my old synth and got two more
$10 bucks so cheep inc post
sd cards are cheep at argos for sure £2-8 2 4 8

£1 for 2gb.. is my best deal

euro cents perhaps buy together 1000 cards for a cheep price..
Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Methanoid »

ChrisTG wrote:
hellraiser wrote: Any update yet?
sri, had no time yet :shrug:
Darn. I found your blog post today and got all excited... But it seems it isn't quite as userfriendly as the Gotek with Amiga FW.... I might have misunderstood.
Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Methanoid »

I wonder if anyone would be willing to donate for some Atari tweaked s/w.. I would....

Come on Chris, how much do we need to raise ;)
Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Methanoid »

Can anyone explain HOW you select software images to load on the ST? On Amiga Goteks or HXC Atari you have selector ADFs... Just trying to work out if it is worth bothering with a Gotek for an ST
Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Jeff_HxC2001 »

Methanoid wrote:Can anyone explain HOW you select software images to load on the ST? On Amiga Goteks or HXC Atari you have selector ADFs... Just trying to work out if it is worth bothering with a Gotek for an ST
Well mhhh, by using the HxC firmware on the Gotek maybe ? :wink:

If someone want to get this firmware, please contact me by email.
Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Methanoid »

WOW Jeff, that is great. Is the firmware going to be free? :wink:
Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Jeff_HxC2001 »

Methanoid wrote:WOW Jeff, that is great. Is the firmware going to be free? :wink:
No :D
10Euros per device, then you will have access to various kind of firmwares.
Fenix
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Fenix »

Nice job.. well worth 10€ :)
Will it work on a Falcon?
Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Jeff_HxC2001 »

Fenix wrote:Nice job.. well worth 10€ :)
Will it work on a Falcon?
Yes but only in DD mode (250Kbits/s) for the moment. HD mode is planned later in a next firmware.
Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Methanoid »

I have ordered my Gotek & flasher and will order FW when they arrive

Will HD mode also require an ST modded for HD floppy use?

Does the Gotek with HXC firmware also support HXC Mount (fake HD)?

What about loading STX (Pasti)? IPF (Amiga & ST) ?
squall
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by squall »

Cool! Will the hxc firmware work on the 720k version?
I've got the SFRM72-FU-DL model, not sure if it has the same internals as the 1.44mb version mentioned by others here.

Thanks,
vattari
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by vattari »

Methanoid wrote:Can anyone explain HOW you select software images to load on the ST? On Amiga Goteks or HXC Atari you have selector ADFs... Just trying to work out if it is worth bothering with a Gotek for an ST
If you look at my post from 1 March, you can see the Windows software that comes with the Gotek. Each slot (virtual floppy disk) can have files copied to it under Windows or an floppy image in .IMG format written to it. I'm yet to get a non-MS-DOS boot sector on there. Doing a disk copy from physical drive (in my case, external B: drive) to a virtual floppy (A: drive) didn't work.
  • TT4/16, SCSI2SD
Mounty
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Mounty »

We are now selling a Gotek drive for Atari ST from our eBay store.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gotek-Floppy- ... 1c53401d3f

And now we're not!
Purveyor of the finest Amiga and Atari accessories.
francouai
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by francouai »

Anyway to have this Gotek (or similar) on external version?
I'm don't want to open my 520 STE and looking a way to connect this USB drive to the External disk port or Hard drive port.
looks like it is not easy to find out.. :cry:
--
Francouai :angel:

Return to “Hardware”