Standard STFM 1Mb Upgrade

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Stfmmer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Standard STFM 1Mb Upgrade

Post by Stfmmer »

Dear peeps...

I am currently waiting for an STFM to turn up at my house lol...

I already know its going to be 512k what i really wanted to know is how to upgrade it to 1mb
I know i can add boards to get 4mb but was only really interested in 1mb just to run stuff like Elite 2 and maybe some 1mb Software.

Im sorry if this post has appeared elsewhere but i keep getting a "come back later" message when searching for "memory upgrade"

Am i correct in believing that i just "add" extra chips...

I've added a picture of a 1040STFM with 1mb and there are a bank of chips for memory..
Am i expecting a machine with half these chips missing or is it a different process altogether?

Included with this post is an attachment showing the 1mb version with mem-chips as a guide for me..
Im not that great with ST hardware tbh and need all the help i can get! :?

Thanks guys/gals for helping out!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Standard STFM 1Mb Upgrade

Post by Mug UK »

Welcome aboard - you'll find plenty of people on here to lend you a hand.

However, you've got two more posts to make which need to be authorised (it's our anti-spammer check) but after that you're free to post as much as you want :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
simbo

Post by simbo »

hi friend

its far easier these days to add a 4MB simm and a switch to allow the machine to use 1MB also
and speeds the machine up a little i notice
its quite easy to do and involves either clipping off the old chips
or disable them {but they burn current if you dont disable there supply}

techie alison wrote a good explination how this is done
and ive also done so far about 10 machines the same way

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=18614

in the guides section youll see a pictorial guide
and parts list with some ebay links {that maybe need updated however youll find what you need}

many members in the past have done the mod to there machines with no problems

if you need some help online i use msn or skype camera / audio etc if needed
if you check out the msn link or pm me for details
i can help in realtime online

in the guide ive even done one of the exact same revision of your board

everyone is here to help you and feel free to post away

and welcome to the forum
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

On the upgrade to 1MB.
Depending on the mobo revision, you can just add the extra 512KB into the empty pins that are already marked for the memory chips.
I am lucky to have such a STFM, and was able to just solder the sockets and push the memory in (plus solder the capacitor across it).
Yeah that was 20 yrs ago, i don;t think I can do that now.... failing eyesight .. :( :(
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
Stfmmer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Stfmmer »

Thanks a lot guys... Its been ages since i touched an ST and here i am about to butcher another one lol.. won't know exactly until sunday what revision i have on the boards or anything.

Am i right in believing with 4mb some stuff won't actually run, as opposed to just having 1mb?

Simbo, that might be a good idea, however looking at the link to the other topic you gave me it looks rather complicated for a non-techie like me..

I much prefer the idea of adding 512k by soldering in the extra chips .. one thing that does concern me though.... capacitor????
I was under the impression you just soldered them in and that was that :?

adding a blitter and a new tos rom is beyond me for sure... ill just get hold of an STe for such things... nicer machine although the one i had years ago didnt boot in med-res (fundamental TOS error i know!)

The other thing i'll probably attempt is a component video cable (RCA Jack red/white and yellow) 8)
Maybe ill post the photos and a how-to guide up here

Although thinking about it someone may have already done that!

Thanks for your time guys and gals! now... where did i put my coffee....? :coffe:
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Oh.. that mobo, which I just noticed, is not the version of mobo that I have.
So the extra 512K may not be like what I said.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by 1024MAK »

Digital circuits need lots of decoupling capacitors. It is good practice to have one decoupling capacitor per IC chip. Even more so for fast digital circuits used in a computer.
A decoupling capacitor is just a type of energy store. When the nearby chip changes state it draws lots more power for an instant. The decoupling capacitors supply this demand and so smooth out these power surges.
Note that a "decoupling" capacitor is not a type of capacitor, just the term used for the function it performs.
Nearly any type of capacitor can be used, however in practice you normally only find three types used. For use next to a chip, the normal type is a ceramic capacitor. These come in a wide range of values and different cases.
Component suppliers describe them as "miniature monolithic radial lead ceramic capacitors", "radial multilayer ceramic capacitors" and "epoxy coated multilayer ceramic capacitors".
The type typically found on Atari ST boards are "Axial multilayer ceramic capacitors".
The typical capacitance (value) used for decoupling capacitors is "100nF". The voltage rating is not important when used on the 5V supply used for the logic chips of Atari ST's, as most ceramic capacitors are rated at 25V at least.
Here is a picture of a axial multilayer ceramic capacitor:-
Axle cap 95.jpg
Note that the positions on the Atari ST boards are likely to be marked, Cxxx where xxx is a number. However you will need to desolder the holes for both the memory chips (if you can find some) and for the holes of the capacitors.
Also look around and / or search the forum, as I seem to remember that some boards need some extra components.
Good luck :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Falcon, Atari 520ST, 520STFM, 1040STE, Mega, TT and more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's).
Visit the Atari-Forum Wiki. Lots of technical info at DrCoolZic Atari ST Site :D
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

1024MAK wrote:Note that the positions on the Atari ST boards are likely to be marked, Cxxx where xxx is a number. However you will need to desolder the holes for both the memory chips (if you can find some) and for the holes of the capacitors.
Yes, IIRC, when i did mine, those were all marked out on the mobo. so it's a matter of just soldering them on.
Stfmmer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Stfmmer »

Wow, everytime I come back to this post it seems to get more and more complicated!

Ok, now got my STFM. There are a couple of abnormalities though, which are strange

Its actually been fitted with "rainbow tos" - an amendment sheet (blue one) is actually present with the machine too.. leading me to believe it was something else when bought new? (Anyone know what?)

got a second disk drive, really long thing! double sided too.

one major drag though... 1 .. yes ONE disk ... which seriously hampers everything. (Unless i want to use ST Basic :? )

Not sure about the 1mb upgrade yet, may just start getting disks together.

BTW - ST Basic wasn't on the disk, just the label. (Had been formatted)
At least i wont have to worry about losing it. Just done a couple of PC transfers, playing James Pond to death may get annoying!
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Tons of system disk/language disk at Djbase's website
http://www.atariworld.org/systemdisketten/
maybe one will work for you.
1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by 1024MAK »

Stfmmer wrote:Ok, now got my STFM. There are a couple of abnormalities though, which are strange

Its actually been fitted with "rainbow tos" - an amendment sheet (blue one) is actually present with the machine too.. leading me to believe it was something else when bought new? (Anyone know what?)
You should count yourself lucky :lol: Rainbow TOS is TOS 1.04 (1.4) and is the best version designed for STFM machines :D . The original TOS version fitted depends on when your Atari was manufactured. Most STFM's were supplied with TOS 1.02 (1.2).
See http://www.atari-forum.com/wiki/index.php/TOS , http://www.atari-forum.com/wiki/index.p ... _Atari_TOS and http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=9591
Stfmmer wrote:one major drag though... 1 .. yes ONE disk ... which seriously hampers everything. (Unless i want to use ST Basic :? )
BTW - ST Basic wasn't on the disk, just the label. (Had been formatted)
No great loss there :lol: . GFA Basic is much better than ST Basic. And even if you did want to use ST Basic, the version that came with the machine was rubbish. A better version was sold. I have both, but prefer GFA Basic :D

A useful program that shows information about your system is SYSINFO.PRG. Also loads of other good programmes available - visit the Atari ST essential software (The List) http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 25#p144941 and http://bbs.datavase.info/ST_essential/
Falcon, Atari 520ST, 520STFM, 1040STE, Mega, TT and more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's).
Visit the Atari-Forum Wiki. Lots of technical info at DrCoolZic Atari ST Site :D
Stfmmer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Stfmmer »

You should count yourself lucky :lol: Rainbow TOS is TOS 1.04 (1.4) and is the best version designed for STFM machines :D . The original TOS version fitted depends on when your Atari was manufactured. Most STFM's were supplied with TOS 1.02 (1.2).
Thank god.. i used the 1.02 on STeem and the fileselector is god awful!!
A useful program that shows information about your system is SYSINFO.PRG. Also loads of other good programmes available - visit the Atari ST essential software (The List) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16525#p144941 and http://bbs.datavase.info/ST_essential/
Software was never going to be a problem, tons of stuff on the PC for atari ST.. if you misunderstood me or maybe you didnt??

i have one physical ds/dd floppy disk.. meaning i'm really not in the mood to transfer MSA files everytime i change what i wanna do lol.
Was looking on EBay and £10 for 10 ds/dd disks seems steep, are they just that hard to get these days?
1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by 1024MAK »

Stfmmer wrote:Software was never going to be a problem, tons of stuff on the PC for atari ST.. if you misunderstood me or maybe you didnt??

i have one physical ds/dd floppy disk.. meaning i'm really not in the mood to transfer MSA files everytime i change what i wanna do lol.
Was looking on EBay and £10 for 10 ds/dd disks seems steep, are they just that hard to get these days?
If you have some High Density (HD) Disks 1.4Mb, you could try using them. I currently have enough DD disks so have not tried it. I believe that most modern DD drives should work without problems. I'm not sure how well they will work with the older DD drives. As the Atari does not know (and is not wired for) HD disks, it will treat them as a DD, so just format them as a DD disk.

I last bought some disks from 16/32 Systems http://sales1632.myzen.co.uk/acatalog/1 ... es_42.html :D
simbo

Post by simbo »

the main problem comes in the shape that a new 1.44 compatable {fully pc type later than 1995} as smaller coils

so doesnt write so heavy to older dd disks {lack of head current imposed flux differential}

so the best ones are the ones actual made for the machine or similar

i found for instance a 286 {bricktop} laptop amstrad machine has an lcd b/w 600/400 and two micro floppys

very thin two fit in the same space as 1 atari floppy
by far the best retro update drive a/b in one bay
and they do support 1.44 when clocked correctly by the st controller
and also provide the heavier head current as bias

if you notice data on a HD 1.44 disk disappears or corrupts in low emf fields
then this is the cause
and you need to use 720k dd disks with an ste or upgrade the disks and the drive/s
controller maybe/25% of the fails poor match of disk is the cause

mostly if you format a disk and its then reliable for over 30 read writes to it will last over 500 of said

im sure i read somewhere this is the case between DD and HD lack of head current as needs change

:coffe:
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Stfmmer wrote: i have one physical ds/dd floppy disk.. meaning i'm really not in the mood to transfer MSA files everytime i change what i wanna do lol.
get away from floppies..... get the SD floppy drive emulator.
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18893
Not sure if they're taking any more orders.
Stuff all your Stuffs into a single SD.
Stfmmer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Stfmmer »

Back to the topic in hand lol...

It is a revision A board, the actual code (which i've just noticed is on the box :? ) is as follows...

C301810-001 Rev A

I believe the memory is located under the power supply, unless im being stupid?

Also, this may seem a spurious question .. i undid the screws to the case and shielding and couldnt get the power supply off???
is there some trick to this that im not aware of?

Seems the shielding is UNDER the power supply but i can't see any screws? i can lift the power supply at one end (the end furthest from the casing) to see what i believe is the memory but thats it.
Where do i get the memory for it these days and do i still need some kind of capacitor..
the first thing first though, if i could get the shielding off i can get to photograph it and show people.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

My STFM has the following printed on the mobo - C103175 Rv 1. and the memories are all under the PSU.
The PSU on mine just slide out towards the front after lifting the front part up at an angle.
The legs have "toes" the slot into the mobo, i am sure you seen them.
My STFM has all the shielding removed so I cannot say if there's any that attached to the PSU.

I was successful to upgrade my STFM to 1 MB but was not for my friend's STFM.
Not sure why as it was like 20 years ago but I think it was a slightly different mobo.
insanity
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by insanity »

Stfmmer wrote:It is a revision A board, the actual code (which i've just noticed is on the box :? ) is as follows...

C301810-001 Rev A
Any chance of a nice pic of the motherboard, I don't think we have that one on our wiki:

http://www.atari-forum.com/wiki/index.p ... _revisions

Thanks

baz
Stfmmer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Stfmmer »

Insanity: Yeah sure, providing i can get the shielding off....
It is proving rather difficult though, so i'll try later on after a good :coffe: .

Do i still need capacitors with this board or can i just find the correct mem and solder it in?

Thanks guys.
Stfmmer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Stfmmer »

PS.... What is the correct mem? lol nobody ever answered that one and i never asked :?
Stfmmer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Stfmmer »

Ok, here we go...

This is a REAL POOR quality shot of my mainboard and i did what i could using a cell(mobile)phone with a 1mb camera!!

The actual code on the mobo is:
C070789-001 Rev F2

I've already guessed that the memory is under the PSU and i think? i can see the capacitors used (Are these the orange ones that are in place on the 512kb mem already there?)

Tons of soldering holes mind so it may take a while to build courage for this!

If this is not the wiki motherboard revisions ill def get a better quality one tomorrow.
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

Consider this... One time I did upgrade a spare 520 ST for my dad... It had 16 spare positions like yours to upgrade it to 1meg. (I was 19 then)

After desoldering the holes to clear them with some wicking braid, and adding 16sockets for the memory chips (262 odd soldering joints 16 x 16pins , including the 3 x 68ohm resisters to enable the bank)

I DIDN'T even add the capacitors... (not having any at the time), and everything worked FINE.... Yes you should fit them... but hey......I inserted the second hand ram chips, and presto.. 1Meg.

That machine ran for many years perfectly in a mobile home... Actually I want to ask him where it is...

The chips required are 41256 DRAM chips.... like here... (anything from 120-150ns is fine)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DRAM-NEC-D41256C ... ltDomain_0

Would cost about $A30 delivered
4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away
Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what
Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Chandler »

yeah you don't actually need the tiny decoupling capacitors, it will work fine without them, in fact they used to be on the rear of STE simms and some don't have them at all so maybe even Atari did away with them eventually!
Stfmmer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Stfmmer »

..yeah you don't actually need the tiny decoupling capacitors, it will work fine without them, in fact they used to be on the rear of STE simms and some don't have them at all so maybe even Atari did away with them eventually!..
Thats really good to know, just bought a new soldering iron for this job so just need to wait for the funds ...
..including the 3 x 68ohm resisters to enable the bank..
Are these going along the bottom?

Somebody should really do a step-by-step guide with photos so i think when i do undertake this task thats what ill do.
with help from u guys :wink:

The scene so far has been excellent (and v. patient!) and for that alone THANKS!
it might be nice to give something back too!

Won't happen overnight though :?
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

You should find three missing resisters in this location.
IMG_1540s.jpg
These are RAS1, CAS1L & 1H.

Correct value is 68ohm.

You need these so the ST will find/access the memory.
4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away
Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what

Return to “Hardware”