I got my 1040STfm but there's problems - Need help!

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

ptpt88
Atarian
Atarian

I got my 1040STfm but there's problems - Need help!

Post by ptpt88 »

As I am new, I hope this question is posted to the right place.

I found a bargain, bought cheap 1040STfm with 2 mice, 2 joysticks and C-lab Notation module & floppy software!

Anyway, I haven't ever before used atari so now I want to know if there are really a problems or am I just bad user:

After started the machine, it shows me white screen and is trying to load floppy long time even there's none. Some time later, the OS seemed to loaded with green background but even then it still tries to load floppy, is that normal? Anyway, after the OS booted, then I can't do anything! Every key just give me "Beep" sound and does nothing else. Does it have to use only mouse? I tried both mouses but none of them seem to work, and I even tried another serial port mouse which I knew it worked, but with Atari, it didn't, so is the port damaged or keyboard???
insanity
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: I got my 1040STfm but there's problems - Need help!

Post by insanity »

Atari STs check for a floppy disk to boot from so inserting one prior to
turning on is the usual way... If you don't insert a floppy disk, after 40
seconds or so, the computer will go to the green GEM desktop.

So, yep, it's normal!

Yes, you need to use the mouse or ALT+cursor keys to move the mouse
pointer and ALT+insert for left mouse button and ALT+ Clr Home for the
right mouse button!! :)

double-click to open drive a/b, but insert a disk before - you can only really
mess about with desktop with out software and games...

baz
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Shredder11 »

To open drive A or B just hold down Control while pressing the drive letter. To close the drive window I think you press Control + B
ptpt88
Atarian
Atarian

Post by ptpt88 »

Nice, finally able to use cursor with keys.

Another problem, how I am able to use (open?) the module? The C-Lab notator seems like needing more memory and Ithink the module is for that reason? But whether I plug the module or not, I can't see any difference.
daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by daeghnao »

ptpt88 wrote: After started the machine, it shows me white screen and is trying to load floppy long time even there's none.
This is normal. The ST assumes that most of the time, you'll be booting up something from a disk of some kind, so it waits for a while to make sure it had a chance to do that.
Some time later, the OS seemed to loaded with green background but even then it still tries to load floppy, is that normal?
Yup, it'll be looking for a disk for a little while. The usual usage for an ST is to put a disk in and then switch the machine on.
Anyway, after the OS booted, then I can't do anything! Every key just give me "Beep" sound and does nothing else.
On a plain 1040 STFM the desktop won't respond to any keys, except for Esc to refresh a file window, and Alt + arrow keys, Insert and Clr Home to perform the same job as the mouse (the shift key can be added as well; Alt+Shift+Left is a single pixel left, for example)
Does it have to use only mouse? I tried both mouses but none of them seem to work, and I even tried another serial port mouse which I knew it worked, but with Atari, it didn't, so is the port damaged or keyboard???
The Atari's mice are not the same as PC serial mice that happen to have a connector that looks the same. They work in quite different ways.

A checklist for mouse problems:

- make sure it's an Atari mouse or compatible. Some mice of the era are switchable between Atari and Commodore Amiga.
- make sure the mouse is clean inside, that the rollers are free to roll, and that there isn't too much dust.
- make sure that it's firmly connected to the port under the keyboard that has the mouse icon next to it.
- see if the behaviour changes when you press on the mouse connector - sometimes the solder joints work loose, especially if the machine has been heavily used.
- see if only some of the pins work, or if it's totally unusable. For example, if the mouse moves up but not down, then one of the vertical pins has failed. If you can move the mouse over an icon with the keyboard and then double-click with the mouse, then all the movement pins might be broken.

Ideally, you'd have access to another ST or another known working ST mouse to find out if it's a mouse problem or a computer problem. However, given that you have two mice, if they both exhibit the same symptoms, it's likely there's a problem in the keyboard. You'd likely need to take the keyboard out and resolder the mouse port connector - but it depends on exactly where the problem lies.
ptpt88
Atarian
Atarian

Post by ptpt88 »

daeghnao wrote:
ptpt88 wrote: After started the machine, it shows me white screen and is trying to load floppy long time even there's none.
This is normal. The ST assumes that most of the time, you'll be booting up something from a disk of some kind, so it waits for a while to make sure it had a chance to do that.
Some time later, the OS seemed to loaded with green background but even then it still tries to load floppy, is that normal?
Yup, it'll be looking for a disk for a little while. The usual usage for an ST is to put a disk in and then switch the machine on.
Anyway, after the OS booted, then I can't do anything! Every key just give me "Beep" sound and does nothing else.
On a plain 1040 STFM the desktop won't respond to any keys, except for Esc to refresh a file window, and Alt + arrow keys, Insert and Clr Home to perform the same job as the mouse (the shift key can be added as well; Alt+Shift+Left is a single pixel left, for example)
Does it have to use only mouse? I tried both mouses but none of them seem to work, and I even tried another serial port mouse which I knew it worked, but with Atari, it didn't, so is the port damaged or keyboard???
The Atari's mice are not the same as PC serial mice that happen to have a connector that looks the same. They work in quite different ways.

A checklist for mouse problems:

- make sure it's an Atari mouse or compatible. Some mice of the era are switchable between Atari and Commodore Amiga.
- make sure the mouse is clean inside, that the rollers are free to roll, and that there isn't too much dust.
- make sure that it's firmly connected to the port under the keyboard that has the mouse icon next to it.
- see if the behaviour changes when you press on the mouse connector - sometimes the solder joints work loose, especially if the machine has been heavily used.
- see if only some of the pins work, or if it's totally unusable. For example, if the mouse moves up but not down, then one of the vertical pins has failed. If you can move the mouse over an icon with the keyboard and then double-click with the mouse, then all the movement pins might be broken.

Ideally, you'd have access to another ST or another known working ST mouse to find out if it's a mouse problem or a computer problem. However, given that you have two mice, if they both exhibit the same symptoms, it's likely there's a problem in the keyboard. You'd likely need to take the keyboard out and resolder the mouse port connector - but it depends on exactly where the problem lies.
I doubt the mouse port would be bad because with joystick I was able to move mouse althought with it it's pretty tricky :lol:

Return to “Hardware”