Modified ST hassles

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Modified ST hassles

Post by ralcool »

This old beast should apply job a role as an extra on the Walking Dead.... :lol:
4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away
Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

ralcool wrote:This old beast should apply job a role as an extra on the Walking Dead.... :lol:
There ya go! :cheers:
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
troed
Atari God
Atari God

Post by troed »

ralcool wrote:Replace AR37BOOT.PRG with DALLRTC.ORG.

Now New folders created are -30yrs (eg 03-11-84 instead of 03-11-14)....... until a program is run from desktop- same as your mentioned boot sector version bug)
Several cold/warm reboots and the symptom persists.... Must load something, from the desktop, before date is corrected.

Hope this helps....
Indeed it does - thanks for taking the time to test! Weird that we get different behaviour - which TOS version did you use for testing? The "boot sector bug" disappears for me if I put a program in an AUTO folder and I thought having DALLRTC.PRG in the AUTO by itself "solved it" the same way. I've got some thinking to do on what doesn't become initialized in TOS ..

I'll bug you about beta testing when I have had a look at it ;)

/Troed
Lando_C
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Lando_C »

Wow.. this thread is old and long.. And I just can't resist replying =) How hard could it be to adapt jookie's code for ultrasatan and make a software version for the raspberry pi? It has enough GPIO pins and speed I reckon ? Look at what the Apple II crowd did with it :

http://appleii.ivanx.com/rasppleii/

It gives unlimited virtual drive storage, accessible from the original OS, it gives acceleration through emulation with access to the physical old hardware inside the emulator, it gives oldstyle serial login and PPP internet to the apple, and a linux GUI driven from the apple keyboard & mouse, all in one. it's just mindboggling.

On the apple, the logical thing was making a slot-in card on which the pi is mounted, and looks like a fast serial interface to the apple. A lowlevel driver was written for the apple ProDOS and on top of this several exiting projects were leveraged, they took an existing emulator, another existing virtual drives server, a third solution for PPP over serial line, and multiplexed them together.

On the ST it would be logical to use the DMA port, and do much of the same things. once the hard drive emulation a'la ultrasatan is written for the pi and cables are made, the foundation is laid and the possibilities expand exponentially.

Right now I am using the pi over a usb-serial dongle for linux terminal login and Zmodem transfers of .msa and zip files to/from the ST.

I could use ghostlink to have the pi become a fileserver, but 19200 is slow for the ST, the AppleII crowd uses machinecode drivers and 115k, which is better than the original harddrives in some cases... (1 Mhz 8 bit processsor..)

A pi speaking acsi would be so much more than a satandisk, it would be the ultimate inteface.. and it probably even fits in the ST case.

HOw much of this is a dream?
UK 1040 STF, SE kbd, SE tos 1.04, gotekHxC+floppy B internally, ATX psu on the side
DE Mega 1
SE Mega 2, no keyboard
SE Mega ST 4
Megafile 20 with 2 MFM drive mechanisms (80+20 meg) in hacked case, ATX psu on the side
Megafile 30
Megafile 60
SH 204
SM124, SM125, Samsung SyncMaster 930mp 19 inch 4:3 lcd tv rgbscart and VGA for STHIgh
PC Intel i5 8G ram many disks
5xRaspberry pi
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

Holy thread mining Batman...lol

Hello folks, I have not completely disappeared. I lurk around to see what you lot are up to.

I suppose you'd be interested to know what I have been hacking this time.

Well, I decided to fit a supercharged V6 engine to the missus car. Other than the hardware installation, it was a small but reasonable amount of work to completely change the engine loom and ecu wiring.

The ecu required me to alter about 20 parameters/flags for its new environment. So bust out the eeprom eraser, and load up my Tuning software.
Stuff like, Disable ecu anti theft code, Disable Automatic transmission error codes for an additional manual gearbox conversion, enhanced hi octane timing curve, disable dual speed fuel pump control, etc etc. Newer engine into older car see....

This weekend I am performing data logging via ALDL2 to check for knock counts, AF ratio, and speedo calibration. Also attempting to cure low speed minor hunting during parking operation by tweaking idle spark cals.... tedious stuff reading the graphs and general trial and error.

Can pull from 50-150km/hr in 3rd gear in well... rather quickly.... :mrgreen:

Lando, I am sure your project is absolutely achievable... But beyond my programming abilities. The pi is something I never got into.
We are in a period of an awesome glut of projects from many Atarians... I never knew of the MACE group, or forgot?...time squanders memory.

The pi has more processing power than the ST, so we are to wonder which device is slaving off which?!!!!

I have been watching Exxos and Alan perform miracles with their projects, and feel those are the most usable upgrades for most.
Storage solutions are well covered by several finished projects- not the least IDE/CF/SD that allow reasonably easy transfers to PC etc- there was another bloke with a cartridge- PC serial port concept a few weeks ago in beta already.

MY ST is collecting dust currently, and I've not had the urge to power it up. Call me lazy but content. :)

I'll have to think about what to say next... its a little early for me, and only one coffee into the morning.

Cheers to all, keep up the good work! :cheers:

Sean
4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Post by spiny »

glad to see your still around :)

my 1978 VW van got delivered back to my place yesterday (I've lost the suse of the barn it lived in as my in-laws sold their house :D) so I'm going to be stocking up on welding wire and sheet metal ready for the summer :)
Lando_C
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Lando_C »

I bought a power supply meant for external disks (four pin molex connector) för 200 SEK (€20) and made a female molex in the slot for the original power switch, thus replacing the broken power supply in my STF, it's alive again, but there is a band of "noise" slowly rolling up the screen when using the TV via RGB scart, it migh tbe a little too weak or a little too cheap.. will try fiting big capacitors on the 5 and 12 volt lines tomorrow.
UK 1040 STF, SE kbd, SE tos 1.04, gotekHxC+floppy B internally, ATX psu on the side
DE Mega 1
SE Mega 2, no keyboard
SE Mega ST 4
Megafile 20 with 2 MFM drive mechanisms (80+20 meg) in hacked case, ATX psu on the side
Megafile 30
Megafile 60
SH 204
SM124, SM125, Samsung SyncMaster 930mp 19 inch 4:3 lcd tv rgbscart and VGA for STHIgh
PC Intel i5 8G ram many disks
5xRaspberry pi
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

spiny wrote:glad to see your still around :)

my 1978 VW van got delivered back to my place yesterday (I've lost the suse of the barn it lived in as my in-laws sold their house :D) so I'm going to be stocking up on welding wire and sheet metal ready for the summer :)
What happened to the little red car? ..
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Post by spiny »

ralcool wrote:
spiny wrote:glad to see your still around :)

What happened to the little red car? ..

still working on that too :)
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

Hey Ralcool !

Very glad to see you're still hanging around. :)
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

Hey guys,
I've made sure to continue to pay for the photobucket account so the images still load.

Greeting from OZ!

Cheers
Sean
Gaiyan
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Gaiyan »

ralcool wrote:Hey guys,
I've made sure to continue to pay for the photobucket account so the images still load.

Greeting from OZ!

Cheers
Sean
Very considerate, thank you! Oh, and thanks for the trip down the rabbit hole! ;)
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

Ralcool, ya bum - you still around? :)

How are things going down under?

Always good to hear from you...!

Return to “Hardware”